• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Greetings,
    We are thinking about a day trip to Germantown sometime before it gets too cold. What's there to do? I see a lot of posts about the Walmart stocking ammo, and an Amish market for food and well made (expensive) furniture; what else?

Any ranges or gun shops in that area?

Any German restaurants or attractions?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wow Germantown, wild time.

It's really Suburban hell. But

La Mexicana by Petco and DSW has wood fired Mexican food that is good and cheap.

BigBoiB

Jun 4, 2013
    MoCo, Md.... for now!
    Suggestion.. Don't do it. (and I live in Germantown).

There really isn't much here to really 'take in'.

There are no 'German' restaurants or attractions that I'm aware of. For food go to the Amish Market or up to Wegmans and pick something out. Wegmans is near Wal-mart, but the local Wal-Mart sucks! If you're not there early when they put out the ammo, you'll rarely find what you want. As of yesterday, they had some .45 (about 5 boxes) and (2) boxes of .223. Otherwise it was all shotgun food.

If you know somebody who's a member at Izaak Walton, there is a range to shoot at. I'm not a member but hoping to go as a guest today.

Just out of curiousity, why Germantown?

If you do come to the area, swing by Engage Armament down in Rockville. Great folks and nice selection of the good stuff! ;)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Suggestion.. Don't do it. (and I live in Germantown).

There really isn't much here to really 'take in'.

There are no 'German' restaurants or attractions that I'm aware of. For food go to the Amish Market or up to Wegmans and pick something out. Wegmans is near Wal-mart, but the local Wal-Mart sucks! If you're not there early when they put out the ammo, you'll rarely find what you want. As of yesterday, they had some .45 (about 5 boxes) and (2) boxes of .223. Otherwise it was all shotgun food.

If you know somebody who's a member at Izaak Walkton, there is a range to shoot at. I'm not a member but hoping to go as a guest today.

Just out of curiousity, why Germantown?

Appreciate the advice. Honestly we just picked a spot on the map that we've never been that's a couple hours from the house, and plan the most 'local' roads way to get there. Was hoping to go this long weekend or within the next couple weekends.

Was a bit fooled by the name, did think it might have something Germany going on there; goggling it now, looks like not much; I don't even see a beergarden, what'the? Is there a 'german like' destination in Maryland, or northern VA / southern PA?

BigBoiB

Jun 4, 2013
    MoCo, Md.... for now!
    Eeek, Germantown - not so German? Not a worthy excursion?

Thanks for the recommendations, either way.

Lapps Furniture store worth driving over an hour?

Lapps IIRC is in the Amish Market storefront. It has some nice stuff but it's a little pricey. I don't think it's worth the drive.

Germantown does have some decent hiking parks, but so do a lot of other areas that are probably closer.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Greetings,
    We are thinking about a day trip to Germantown sometime before it gets too cold. What's there to do? I see a lot of posts about the Walmart stocking ammo, and an Amish market for food and well made (expensive) furniture; what else?

Any ranges or gun shops in that area?

Any German restaurants or attractions?

....asked nobody*, ever....until now.

*except for possibly by a drug dealer.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    If your looking for Amish or German pr PA. Dutch just head to Lancaster. Lots to see up there. The Amish farming is a little slow right now. Most crops are already off the fields but still a nice place to visit. My wife and I go there several times a year and have become friends with a few Amish families.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Best part about a trip to Germantown is forgetting about it and swing by Engage in Rockville.

I lived there for 10 years. I actually lived there when it was nice. Late 70's til late 80's.

Don't bother now

Filled with hood rats IMO..

:sad20:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sugarloaf Mountain is a nice recreational hike.

This. Sugarloaf is a cool place to visit, hike, look at the view.

Germantown is just a little bit of Montgomery County Suburban Hell. Maybe somebody named "German" lived there 250 years ago, not any more.

FNG

Jun 12, 2013
    Frederick
    Haha, after you get past all the Germans check out the rocks in Rockville. But, be careful of all the gais in Gaithersburg on your way.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Did not think someone would actually look up Germantown to visit :P

I co-own the Baja Fresh there so any of you guys want some dinner, PM me and Ill send you some coupons :)

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Not really

Not a destination spot. There is a very nice Thai place, Sabi Sabi. Head to Frederick, another 20 mins or so up 270. Carroll Creek in downtown has a nice walk with cool paintings. Plenty of restaurants on Market street (main st). Nice gun shop out Rosedale, The gun center, a bit smallish.
    A GREAT place to eat is AKA Friscos.4632 Wedgewood Blvd. No I do not work there. Man does that guy do it right, worth the effort to find it! Oh and Flying Dog Brewery is around the corner from him.

Wiley

MDS Supporter
    Jul 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Also, you could check out Sugarloaf Winery in Comus/Dickerson. You would get off 270 2 exits north of Germantown (RT 121).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Haha, after you get past all the Germans check out the rocks in Rockville. But, be careful of all the gais in Gaithersburg on your way.

I like to swim in Poolesville, enjoy the many varieties of bread in Wheaton, then swing by Silver Spring to load up on coins and ingots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom