• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Here's my present from the Howard County Gun Show today. Not much matches on her, and there is no scope or cheek rest, but I felt it was on the cheap side, so I decided to get her. The seller (The Gun Merchant) said it was one of a few rifles from a collection whose owner had died. The kids brought him the stuff to sell. He didn't know much else. Sorry for the crappy photos. :o

IMG_20130914_211143_725_zps286f6618.jpg

IMG_20130914_211612_828_zpsdf52ddd6.jpg

The three screws on the front scope mount are pretty chewed up. The center part of the receiver, just in front of that screw, says No. 4 Mk. 1 and there is a T around 11:00 of that screw.

IMG_20130914_211415_119_zpsd915f2ee.jpg

The band at the rear of the receiver says, from top to bottom, M 47 C, 1943, AU9074, TR

IMG_20130914_211505_438_zps69260d20.jpg

Do we have any Enfield sniper experts here? What do you all think?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I'm not an expert on Enfields but I've got some pretty good deals from The Gun Merchant in the past. Good guy to do business with.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Is the bolt suppost to be hollowed out? I thought they only did that with the shorter lighter jungle carbines? Idk, I am far from a expert on these.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Is the bolt suppost to be hollowed out? I thought they only did that with the shorter lighter jungle carbines? Idk, I am far from a expert on these.

I don't know, but that appears to be the one matching part on the rifle. It has AU9074 stamped on the rear side of the bolt handle.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wouldnt worry about buggered screws, I never saw a screw that british armorers didnt chew-up

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park

I used to have a no.4 mk.1 that had the knob hollowed out (the bolt matched the rifle). I wanna say that rifle was made in '45. Dunno if that helps or not, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Can't tell from the photo if the receiver buttsocket is marked "TR" below the SN. That's what you need to look for.
    If it has the "Ishy" stock screw it came out of the huge lot imported by Springfield Sporters. When SS owner died Century bought up a bunch (I was at the SS auction and the Century guys were everywhere). I was bummed because the auctioneer was only selling them in huge lots so unless you had a pile of cash you were SOL.
    Century held onto them for quite a while (remember that they paid exactly $156 per rifle) and sold them off in 2008 for $399 which was the price that SS originally sold them for in their catalog.

Attachments

• IMGP6717.JPG
      IMGP6717.JPG
      68.5 KB · Views: 264
    Last edited:

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    It does have the TR under the serial number. In that horrible pic you can see some of the glare from the flash in the letters.

What is the 'Ishy' stock screw?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Its a screw used by the Indians to strengthen the forestocks of Enfields. Believe they started using them just after WW2 so older SMLEs in Indian service may not have them. The photo below shows my No4 TR and a No4 with this screw.
    Yours doesn't have it (most collectors would consider that a plus). All the Enfields sold by Springfield Sporters came from India and every one I handled have the Ishapore (aka Ishy) screw.

Attachments

• IMGP5810.JPG
      IMGP5810.JPG
      78 KB · Views: 255

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I've ran this by the guys on the Enfield forum and they say she's the real deal. I'm pretty excited about it. If anyone hear's about original scopes, scope mounts and cheek rests, keep me in mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom