• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Gentlemen - I have a month-old order for these at Penn's. It might still be a bit of a wait, and I'm nearly out of projectiles.

Anybody have a good source for some that are in stock right now?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Funny you should ask. I was just thinking of selling the ones I have. My 45 does not seem to like to feed them consistently. I have an order of berry's coming in soon. Let me count em and send you a price.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Funny you should ask. I was just thinking of selling the ones I have. My 45 does not seem to like to feed them consistently. I have an order of berry's coming in soon. Let me count em and send you a price.

You have to work with the seating depth as it's critical. Too long or too short will cause all kinds of feeding issues.

Here's a pic I rogued off the net.

While they are two different cartridges, the 45 shows where the shoulder on the wadcutter should be. If it remotely looks like the the one on the left, you are screwed. If there isn't enough shoulder sticking out of the brass, you are screwed.

You have to get it just right. Once you get it right, they'll function in just about any gun. But you can tailor it since obsiously have the equipment to do so.

I highly recommend only looking at the first two digits after the decimal point on your calibers :innocent0 That third digit doesn't agree with the fudge factor very often.

Attachments

• SWC.jpg
      SWC.jpg
      32.7 KB · Views: 198
    Last edited:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Yeah, I tried a second batch with a longer OAL (1.250), still under max. No joy. I could go just short of max. I need a local range membership so I can fine tune it easier.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I feel your pain. I live near Myrtle Grove, but it's a P.I.T.A. for any serious testing.

Before moving to Maryland, I made friends with a guy down the road, wo had a 500 yard range behind his house. The fact that he was a former world-class benchrest shooter and did load data research for the US Olympic team a few times didn't hurt either. I wish I remembered a 1/10th of what he told me.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I feel your pain. I live near Myrtle Grove, but it's a P.I.T.A. for any serious testing.

Before moving to Maryland, I made friends with a guy down the road, wo had a 500 yard range behind his house. The fact that he was a former world-class benchrest shooter and did load data research for the US Olympic team a few times didn't hurt either. I wish I remembered a 1/10th of what he told me.

We all need friends like that. :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    While they are two differnt cartridges, the 45 shows where the shoulder on the wadcutter should be. If it remotely looks like the the one on the right, you are screwed. If there isn't enough shoulder sticking out of the brass, you are screwed.
    That on the right is pretty much how I load my .45 ACP - I don't see that as being a bad thing, and my 1941 Colt 1911 eats them up without issue. Besides, it's two totally different kinds of loading and I wouldn't think you'd necessarily compare shoulder height between the two. The bullet for .45 LC has a crimp groove that dictates seating depth - with the .45 ACP, it has always been my understanding that as long as you aren't too short or too long (shorter is better than longer) and it feeds ok that it's good to go.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    It was for visual reference only for a 200gr SWC (only) in a 45ACP (only). (I had a left/right typo above as well. )

Just imagine that both bullets are loaded in a 45ACP and focus on the bullet depths, not the cases. The one on the right would be just about correct (calibrated eye). The one of the left, has too much lead / not seated deeply enough.

On the left, that's about .02" too much lead hanging out of the case. I would be surprised it will even fit in the magazine.

With semi-wad cutters, there is a very fine line between too short and too long for "reliable feeding" in some handguns. My XDm will eat anything. It doesn't care what I put it in it. But some 1911s are extremely picking when it comes to wadcutters. You need just enough should to ride the feed ramp. Too much shoulder has a tendency to make the case vere off in some guns.

Consider yourself fortunate to have a 1911 that will eat wad cutters like yours does.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ah - ok, I see what you were getting at now. Yeah, I agree - some guns just don't care, and some 1911s are pretty picky, especially where LSWCs are concerned. I'm pretty sure mine has a beveled feed ramp, which is why my 1911 isn't too picky. That would have been a mod my Dad would made to it since for him it was clearly a shooter and not a collectors item, and he shot a whole lotta self-cast 200 gr LSWC, although not that bullet - he used the Lyman mould, which produced a bullet that's fatter and shorter than the one pictured.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If a gun is picky about a 200 gr LSWC loaded to the depth in the picture, it needs some work.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If a gun is picky about a 200 gr LSWC loaded to the depth in the picture, it needs some work.
    QFT - I've heard of some 1911s being really picky about ammo - any ammo. Then again, I've heard about 1911s that will gobble up pretty much anything. Mine is pretty good, but oddly, I've had more issues with some inexpensive remanufactured Ball ammo than any of my reloads. My LSWC reloads function pretty much flawlessly in my old 1911.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    QFT - I've heard of some 1911s being really picky about ammo - any ammo. Then again, I've heard about 1911s that will gobble up pretty much anything. Mine is pretty good, but oddly, I've had more issues with some inexpensive remanufactured Ball ammo than any of my reloads. My LSWC reloads function pretty much flawlessly in my old 1911.

I have fixed a couple of 1911s that were picky.

Rough feed ramps and misaligned feed ramp to barrel are common.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For those that have had issues with SWC in their 1911, take note of this photograph. (Not my photo - taken from the internets.)

The barrel on the left is what the chamber mouth/throat should look like, to feed SWC profile boolits without problems.
    The barrel on the right is the 'old' 1911 mouth/throat configuration.

I refer to the left barrel mouth/throats to be a "C" on it's back. The barrel on the right, I refer to as a "U".
    The barrel on the right is made/machined to feed RN or Ball ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom