• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Wasn't sure where to put this but thought it interesting.

http://www.rdmag.com/Awards/RD-100-Awards/2010/08/Hunters-transcend-the-laws-of-physics/

Why they say hunters I am unsure, but it is a good read. This guy at Idaho National Labs who shoots competitively came up with a new sight that puts the target and front sight on the same plane. So you don't have to look back and forth while aligning up on the target. That could be huge for certain 3 position shooting competitions.

Thought some of you might want to see it.

Vic

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    the picture in the link shows a YHM flip up rear sight. I guess they couldn't find a pic of the real thing. :rolleyes:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Looking at the first article, you can see the little lens in the YHM rear peep sight. That would be very handy if you're just using open sights. I'm wondering if this would be considered an optic?

Jim

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Looking at the first article, you can see the little lens in the YHM rear peep sight. That would be very handy if you're just using open sights. I'm wondering if this would be considered an optic?

Jim

In an NRA match you're allowed one lens at either end and still considered iron sights. In an AR service rifle, the rear sights are hooded to accommodate a lens. Match rifles can have a front aperture lens or a rear aperture lens, but not both. Two is considered a telescope, one is considered "shooting glasses."

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I think it just allows the shooter to focus simultaneously on the Front sight, target and rear sight. All three planes are combined into one image or a single plane. This means more definition and accuracy as all images are focused as perceived by the eye and brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom