• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My youngest son scored his second deer this morning. He was cold, tired and hungry but said he was sticking it out. Good decision.

Attachments

• 50B802BE-92C4-4529-84FF-86FAECB8031A.jpg
      50B802BE-92C4-4529-84FF-86FAECB8031A.jpg
      226.8 KB · Views: 235

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Out hunting this morning at a bedding area. Nothing around. Then two does show and chill, 20 minutes later 2 more does come in and start browsing. All are with in 25 yards. Then a hot doe comes in a drags an eight behind her. to my right and behind me. He is grunting and squats and pisses down his tarsals right next to me. BUT I can't turn or stand with all these does around. The hot doe starts to move, he starts to move. I shoulder the gun, I'm going to kill him when they come around the front of me. She rips off into the thick and so does he. Damn!!

He was standing right there. I guess I need to work on my left handed twisting around the tree shot now

Attachments

• 564F97DE-FBF6-4587-B0BC-D3B860BCB012.jpg
      564F97DE-FBF6-4587-B0BC-D3B860BCB012.jpg
      209 KB · Views: 224

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My dad sat all day seen 8 does in different groups in the morning. Than had 2 hunters drive thru the neighbors cut corn field and walk the field edge looking to put up stands at 1pm on the 1st day? He didn't see anymore deer after that. I sat most of the day on my farm. Ended up seeing 8 does, 2 bucks, 3 turkeys, 3 foxes, 2 woodpeckers fighting and a groundhog. This guy came out of the standing corn at 4:10 that ended my day.
    Nice buck, looks like it wasn’t just your day that ended at 4:10 pm. Congrats.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This deer was shot last night on the farm I've been hunting. I'm new there so I can only hunt marginal areas. I have seen deer like this out there though. I'm hitting in tomorrow morning...

Attachments

• booner.jpg
      booner.jpg
      112.1 KB · Views: 191

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Got my first sika
    6pt

Attachments

• 9FA69711-1139-41DD-8029-04EE20CC8CAB.jpeg
      9FA69711-1139-41DD-8029-04EE20CC8CAB.jpeg
      86 KB · Views: 194

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This deer was shot last night on the farm I've been hunting. I'm new there so I can only hunt marginal areas. I have seen deer like this out there though. I'm hitting in tomorrow morning...

Damn. That’s a big boy.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Damn, good luck tomorrow. Hope you tag one with war clubs like that on its head. Holy crap, that’s impressive.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good luck, but i know you always get something good. ;)

Thanks Will. I think I had that deer at 30 yds last year at first light. It was bow season and I was doing crop damage with a shotgun. It would have been a chip-shot with a bow.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My dad sat all day seen 8 does in different groups in the morning. Than had 2 hunters drive thru the neighbors cut corn field and walk the field edge looking to put up stands at 1pm on the 1st day? He didn't see anymore deer after that. I sat most of the day on my farm. Ended up seeing 8 does, 2 bucks, 3 turkeys, 3 foxes, 2 woodpeckers fighting and a groundhog. This guy came out of the standing corn at 4:10 that ended my day.

Nice one! I guess in fairness to them, maybe they just haven’t had time?

My only excuse is I’ve been busy plus still figuring stuff out. I figure if I have a shot on the 9 I’ve been seeing, it’ll be late season. But I am going to keep trying to get out in a stand a couple mornings and a couple evenings a week before/after work for the next few weeks. Maybe a day or two of all day sits.

But I’ve been thinning out saplings in my back woods, finally put in a ladder stand. Just got an automatic feeder hung. And need to adjust it higher (walked it today and it’s sitting at 6’ for the bottom. I’d like it 8’ up. Got a rope hoist to replace the pulley I was using to make it way easier with 35lbs of corn in it and I need to bust out the ladder to also move the strap up the tree.

Anyway, I am finally getting serious about targeting bigger bucks that are moving through my backwoods by the creek travel corridor that runs through my neighborhood rather than hunting the does and an occasional small buck that come by my side yard.

But I feel like I would have figured a farm out quick and tried to do stuff in the off season. But, again, for me I made the decision after early ML. So here I am, tromping around my woods messing stuff up. At least it is a rural residential area. So the deer are pretty used to people.

I’ll take down my ladder stand at the end of the season. But in the off season I need to cut down and trim back a few more saplings, rake clear the forest floor and get clover in and a few crab apples and persimmons. Then get the ladder stand back up in early to mid August and see how my woods garden is doing for the deer. Put the feeder back up if it isn’t doing so good the same time I put in the stand.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Out hunting this morning at a bedding area. Nothing around. Then two does show and chill, 20 minutes later 2 more does come in and start browsing. All are with in 25 yards. Then a hot doe comes in a drags an eight behind her. to my right and behind me. He is grunting and squats and pisses down his tarsals right next to me. BUT I can't turn or stand with all these does around. The hot doe starts to move, he starts to move. I shoulder the gun, I'm going to kill him when they come around the front of me. She rips off into the thick and so does he. Damn!!

He was standing right there. I guess I need to work on my left handed twisting around the tree shot now

I hope he comes back in for you soon. I realized where I have my stand positioned a lot of my shots are going to mean twisting to shoot to my right or shooting south paw. Fortunately my crossbow isn’t too bad south paw with the rifle rail on my stand. I’d feel pretty confident taking the shot the wrong way.

No good option to reposition my stand so that I am shooting mostly straight out or left and a lot of my shots are going to be 20yds or under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom