• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    This was what I used at the old house. Now I just have eye bolts and pulleys in a giant oak tree. Conveniently placed close enough to the driveway to skin em with the truck

I don't have a tree in my backyard. I have a Maple tree on the side of the house but the public can see it too easily.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You can make a hangman setup with one 4x4x12 and 1 2x4x8. 5' of 2x4 out and use the remainder as a 45degree brace. I'd concrete the base or bury it deep.
    Got a truck and hitch? They sell them for $120 - $180 in various styles with a winch.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've never had a problem. A large deer's nose may scrape the floor, but, plenty of room to work.

I did this in my younger years. My little(then) girl loved when I used her kiddie pool to catch the blood. I made her feel she was part of the process. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well... she turned out OK, so, no harm done ;)

I found an old picture of my dad letting me play with a deer head... I looked maybe 2 or 3... probably explains my mental state. :)

And again, no harm done. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    An old swing set works well, people are always trying to get rid of them for free.

A note though. Your wife and kids will probably get pissed if you use THEIR swing set. I had to hang it from my shed.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    I'm going to build a thing I can hang deer up on to season the meat outside. I'll only use it after the weather cools down and the outside temps are around 40 degrees or under. I'll probably stand it up in my backyard but may try to put it up in my garage but I don't think it'll fit. I'll put hooks under the top board to hang the triangle things (can't remember what they're called).

I'm using a six foot long 4x4 for the top and two 10 foot 4x4s on the sides. I'll use some 2x4s to keep it upright (kinda like feet) and put another 2x4 across the bottom to brace it.

Thoughts. :)

I didn't have a tree in my yard so I used to use my garage, until I moved boat from storage to my garage. Since it took 45 minutes to get the boat out of the garage and was a pain to do, I bought a tripod hoist. Use it in back yard when needed and stored when not.

Might be worth a look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-113824.jpg
      Screenshot_20210918-113824.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 148

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Yeah, I decided to use the single 4x4 I bought and set it across the last rafter on my garage and the board on the top of the wall on the end of the garage. I have to move a shower that was too big to fit in any of the doors to my house. I need to sell or give it away.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have one of these! Works great for skinning and cutting. All you need is a truck with a hitch receiver. The tailgate is a nice work table too!

Attachments

• FD4B0428-F9C1-4476-916E-B6003018C0A2.jpg
      FD4B0428-F9C1-4476-916E-B6003018C0A2.jpg
      138.3 KB · Views: 170
    • 3F5734DA-AE2B-4CF4-A4F7-3610300AD2CA.jpg
      3F5734DA-AE2B-4CF4-A4F7-3610300AD2CA.jpg
      137.9 KB · Views: 167

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I got a 12 foot 2x4 and put in across the rafters to boost the strength so I could hang deer from the 4x4 I have. I put 2 hooks into the 4x4.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I use one of my kayak hoists in the garage. Drop the kayak and hook the gambrel to it and hoist them up. Skinning always seems like the hardest part. Last Sunday I went to lowes and bought stuff and drill a 5/8" hole in the concrete and set a 1/2" redhead anchor in the floor and put a bolt in it to keep dirt out and got a 1/2" eye bolt to use to tie to the hide before hoisting them up and try and use the wench to pull the hide off. I will test during rifle season soon.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Is aging dear meat worth the effort ? I’ve never had any and don’t know of anyone that does it. I usually skin and process the same day I drop them.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I have never noticed the difference. Only difference I notice is over cooking deer like a steak and making it tough. I many times skin the next day and process over days with meat lungs.

I would not freeze the meat the same day as killing it. You want the meat to go through rigor and relax.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Is aging dear meat worth the effort ? I’ve never had any and don’t know of anyone that does it. I usually skin and process the same day I drop them.

I believe it is worth it since this is the standard practice of pro butchers for everything from deer to cows. f I'm ever fortunate enough to kill two deer in one day, I plan to do an experiment.

I have experimented with ducks and geese. A couple years ago I killed 4 ducks and 2 geese in a single fantastic morning. I hung 2 ducks and 1 goose outside and put the others in the fridge (not processed). The cold weather allowed me to hang them for 5 days. I then cooked breast meat from each and noticed a significant difference -- the hung birds were much more tender. Now I always hang my harvests for as long as the weather permits. I have the old LL Bean cook book that says you should "hang the ducks by the head until they fall to the ground." I'm not so sure about that...it's much colder in Maine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom