• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Need to get some for a few builds. Any you've had which have been junk? Seems like they should all be created about equal so just interested in knowing what not to buy

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Need to get some for a few builds. Any you've had which have been junk? Seems like they should all be created about equal so just interested in knowing what not to buy

Depending on the application I would go with tried an true brands if you have a suppressor shrouded by the hand rail, for a regular setup with just a barrel full length of the hand guard get daring... :D

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

Attachments

• FBA4CA82-C59A-4F75-AD2F-6F49C4B1D8C4.jpg
      FBA4CA82-C59A-4F75-AD2F-6F49C4B1D8C4.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 154

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have not tried are any that are particularly bad. The G10 covers like rail scales and VZ grips are extremely expensive, but do tend to transmit less heat than polymer. If you’re planning on running a shorter rifle or pistol suppressed and it has a somewhat thin rail, I like the Griffin Armament rail panels the best. They are pretty thick and keep your hand from getting toasty. The downside is that they feel slippery in your hand, though I can’t say my hand has ever actually slipped. Not sure why they don’t use a more aggressive texture. But if it really bothered you, you could stipple them or add silicone dots, skateboard tape, etc. Or you could spend the $100-$200 per rail and go with the G10 ones like rail scales. But that gets expensive fast. Since I tend to have gloves on when actually training in a way that would get my rifles hot enough to matter, griffin panels win on economy and function. Plus they have a unique look.

In terms of pop in covers that don’t use screws, I like the Geissele and Magpul ones. They are thick enough to not roast your hand if used on an AK or something that heats up quickly, but not so thick that they add a lot of weight and girth. The BCM pop in rail covers are really thin and add good grip, but I don’t think they do as good a job with blocking heat from getting to your hand.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Came here to post BCM rail covers, but I see others have beat me to it.

There's really no better alternative. They snap on, pull off, but are plenty secure and they deflect heat well. They're also very lightweight and cheap.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    My M-!ok BCM covers would pop-off when shooting sometimes and move around a little. The BCM Keymod covers have been perfect.

I prefer the Geissele M-lok covers now because they are relatively easy to reposition but lock in place with a tab and provide more coverage. But still use some other brands (mix and match a little).

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I use these a lot. Not full covers but good for heat and keeping the forend from being too “sharp” on the hand. As far as mixing colors go, I’ve come to do this now on all of my evil black guns (I believe it makes them less evil and less killey). This is my Beowulf using these panels. They’re rubber and provide a great grip surface, and during longer range sessions they really keep the hands from getting too hot. I also use the Magpul pic rail ladder covers to knock down the cheese grater effect from pic rails.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319295780?pid=736594

Attachments

• D8514749-B155-4904-BC85-BCED7E54A1B5.jpg
      D8514749-B155-4904-BC85-BCED7E54A1B5.jpg
      143.1 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl