• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    How screwed would a prepper be if they only had 9mm pistol and Ruger 10/22 rifle as their only two firearms?

I think you'd only be screwed if you were being targeted by someone that had something with more range to it.

Or a bear. Definitely screwed badly by a bear. ;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You would be well prepared for long term live off the land scenario , less so for urban small unit engagements .

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I read the book Modern Survivalist by Fernando Arrguire. I think his book paints a more realistic prepper scenario, ie collapse is much more likely going to be an economic collapse, high inflation maybe hyperinflation, supply chain issues results in shortages of everything, civil support service severely cut back or nonexistent, ie reduced police presence (in USA defund police movement), dramatically increase crime, riots, etc. but not total collapse and people still have to go to work everyday etc.

I don't see a scenario where one would be walking down the streets with their AR15/AKs strung to their back like they were in Serbia. While police will greatly be reduce there's still going to be laws around and I believe it's going to be difficult to prove a self defense shooting at 100 yards or 200 yards with a rifle, which is most peoples logic for rifle over pcc, ie extended range. I don't see the Govt supporting law abiding gun owners during the good times and don't see it getting better during the bad times.

I'm rambling here so I'll stop.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    How screwed would a prepper be if they only had 9mm pistol and Ruger 10/22 rifle as their only two firearms?

Ever hear of the Liberator Pistol in WW II?

You're in the same situation but better eqipped.

You just need to find some numbnuts with a better rifle and kit but no situational awareness to complete your BugOut upgrade.

A Silenced 22 or 9 is perfect and better than a knife for eliminating sentries and guard dogs (that's why the military called them "Hush Puppy" guns)

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Some have only a single gun, perhaps a .22LR.

Having just a single gun, shotgun, rifle or revolver or pistol, it doesn't matter what it is, is the worst thing you can do. Pieces and parts break and as soon as that happens you are gun-less and vulnerable.

You need to have multiple guns in multiple calibers. The suggested calibers are .22L, 9mm (luger), .45 ACP and .223/5.56, 12GA and if you are paranoid, 20GA.

You want to have the calibers that 80% to 90% of the rest of the people in your area have. Knockdown power and shooting flatter are for beer drinking events and not for protecting yourself in your SHTF location.

Your ability to pick up ammo and firearms along the way is critical. A guy carrying a .30-06 with about 20 rounds of ammo on him makes it a generally, in the scenario, a useless caliber.

I have a neighbor who has about 50,000 rounds of ammo. Theoretically is he my friend of my first target?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The most versatile gun in my opinion would be a gauge, not a caliber. 12 or 20 gauge and you have shot for small game and you open and recrimp after pour paraffin wax on the shot for larger problems. a 1 1/4 oz waxed round is a hell of a thing to hit a target with.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    The most versatile gun in my opinion would be a gauge, not a caliber. 12 or 20 gauge and you have shot for small game and you open and recrimp after pour paraffin wax on the shot for larger problems. a 1 1/4 oz waxed round is a hell of a thing to hit a target with.

Cut shells are easier

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Don't have a slug mold yet. I don't have any wax rounds made either, but I got lots of #8 target shot I could convert to wax or cut rounds, if schit was to hit the fan.

My buddy is working on the shotgun reloading and i am working on the rifle pistol reloading. I have not pushed him hard enough and he has not progressed as much yet more than just acquiring tools, powder and shot and playing around yet. I seem to have to be a lead caster in the group.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I read the book Modern Survivalist by Fernando Arrguire. I think his book paints a more realistic prepper scenario, ie collapse is much more likely going to be an economic collapse, high inflation maybe hyperinflation, supply chain issues results in shortages of everything, civil support service severely cut back or nonexistent, ie reduced police presence (in USA defund police movement), dramatically increase crime, riots, etc. but not total collapse and people still have to go to work everyday etc.

I don't see a scenario where one would be walking down the streets with their AR15/AKs strung to their back like they were in Serbia. While police will greatly be reduce there's still going to be laws around and I believe it's going to be difficult to prove a self defense shooting at 100 yards or 200 yards with a rifle, which is most peoples logic for rifle over pcc, ie extended range. I don't see the Govt supporting law abiding gun owners during the good times and don't see it getting better during the bad times.

I'm rambling here so I'll stop.

The problem with that scenario is what do you think will happen when the SNAP/EBT cards no longer work and the gravy train delivering all the free stuff derails and people with generations of reliance on the government and other organizations to provide everything they need to survive suddenly have to provide for themselves? I suspect the breakdown will become so violent that everyone will stay home to protect their families and what they have. That means no stores open, no trucks resupplying or delivering, and no police. Everyone will be responsible for their own protection and the smart ones will form neighborhood groups to protect each other. That will mean you probably want something a little stronger than a .22.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Oooohhhh. Thanks!! I will do just that.... as soon as they are back in stock.

Looks like everyone is out of stock (Midway had some 24 Ga) however there is an alternative.

Rocky Mountain Cartridge make 20 Ga. in several lengths however they machine them from solid brass stock. These have thicker walls than the Mag Tech cases and use standard wads (Mag Tech recommends oversize wads). They normally make them for 209 primers and they also sell hand reloading kits

Main page
    https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index.htm

Shotgun shells
    https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index_htm_files/RMC Shot Shells & Load Kits.pdf

Reloading kit instructions
    https://rockymountaincartridge.com/index_htm_files/RMC Load Kit Inst.pdf

Link to Circle Fly Wads
    https://circlefly.com/

Circle fly wad sizing chart
    https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/d5...nloads/1c30n1443_939901.pdf?ver=1611285825376

Circle Fly brass shell reloading information
    https://circlefly.com/bp-cartridges

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom