• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Could I rake it out mid winter and burn it back? It isn’t that huge an area to torch. And the stilt grass tends to come out by the roots easily in the soil in the woods (I’ve got a cleared path down to the creek, along it and back up the other end of the property. Takes me about an hour with a rake and grass scythe twice a growing season. And the scythe even sharpened rips out half the grass)

Burning, sterilizes the soil.

Not only would you have to wait for what you planted to grow, also the microbes would need to come back to normal levels.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Absolutely not.

If you're gonna go down the "invasive species" road, please don't. That war was lost long ago.

It provides great bedding cover and food. Deer eat it year-round. Get a little winter thaw going and those things start pudding out. Deer love them. Some of my favorite stands have been overlooking wild rose thickets. Deer will move around in them all day long. They feel safe in them. And it grows just fine under canopy.

Please, PLEASE don't plant multiflora rose! It isn't so much that it is invasive, it's how much it spreads. It chokes out everything else. And those thorns are tough on skin and clothes!

I plan to do a LOT of rose/briar removal from my property this winter. I did a bunch with the skid loader when I moved in, but it's all come back. Going to try to pull out all the roots this time. If I let it go it'd be all I'd have in the understory.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Please, PLEASE don't plant multiflora rose! It isn't so much that it is invasive, it's how much it spreads. It chokes out everything else. And those thorns are tough on skin and clothes!

I plan to do a LOT of rose/briar removal from my property this winter. I did a bunch with the skid loader when I moved in, but it's all come back. Going to try to pull out all the roots this time. If I let it go it'd be all I'd have in the understory.

There's no real need to plant it. It's pretty much everywhere. Unless you kill the roots, you'll never eradicate it. Rose grows from root stock. You have to kill the roots. If it were me, I'd cut senderos through the thickets with a brush hog and keep them open. Deer always choose the path of least resistance. ;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Per the bambi whacking thread. I walked around my shed yesterday and bumped an old doe and that big buck I've been hunting. Chip shot from where I had been hanging my stand last week. Today, my boys went out to help me put up my new ladder stand. Andddd they were back. Rather than close to the top of the hill, they were down bedded in the brambles near the creek. Both within 25yds of where I'd been hanging my climber and where I just put up my ladder stand.

What sucks is 0% chance I can hunt till after Thanksgiving. Wife's sister-in-law has auto-immune issues and they've got a new baby. My mother-in-law is DEMANDING we all comply with every last thing my wife's brother and sister-in-law want us to do, to see them all. So that means I am not allowed to go anywhere till after Thanksgiving to "quarantine" so we are safe to see (despite being vaccinated, including all my kids and my in-laws all having gotten boosters). And my wife will NOT let me hang a deer and butcher it myself this week with her getting ready to host her whole family starting Saturday through next weekend (just as much she won't let me take the time to go sit in a stand for even an hour, let alone half or all day).

At least my wife has told her family we are NOT doing this for Christmas. They can come and see us or not, but we are spending the holidays with friends. So starting opener of gun day, or at worst that Monday, I can start hunting my backyard again. That said, if I see that buck out the window, I might just have to get my crossbow and ask forgiveness later.

And looking at game camera pics really fast when putting up the ladder stand, it looks like more movement the last couple of days during daylight also. The lull seemed to be from early last week till Friday. Not sure if it was the weather, or the neighbors, or just an odd dry patch for a week. Making me that much more confident that is a good spot, where clearing out the understory and getting in some clover and radishes and maybe put in a few crab apples and persimmons around the edges of that area.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Per the bambi whacking thread. I walked around my shed yesterday and bumped an old doe and that big buck I've been hunting. Chip shot from where I had been hanging my stand last week. Today, my boys went out to help me put up my new ladder stand. Andddd they were back. Rather than close to the top of the hill, they were down bedded in the brambles near the creek. Both within 25yds of where I'd been hanging my climber and where I just put up my ladder stand.

What sucks is 0% chance I can hunt till after Thanksgiving. Wife's sister-in-law has auto-immune issues and they've got a new baby. My mother-in-law is DEMANDING we all comply with every last thing my wife's brother and sister-in-law want us to do, to see them all. So that means I am not allowed to go anywhere till after Thanksgiving to "quarantine" so we are safe to see (despite being vaccinated, including all my kids and my in-laws all having gotten boosters). And my wife will NOT let me hang a deer and butcher it myself this week with her getting ready to host her whole family starting Saturday through next weekend (just as much she won't let me take the time to go sit in a stand for even an hour, let alone half or all day).

At least my wife has told her family we are NOT doing this for Christmas. They can come and see us or not, but we are spending the holidays with friends. So starting opener of gun day, or at worst that Monday, I can start hunting my backyard again. That said, if I see that buck out the window, I might just have to get my crossbow and ask forgiveness later.

Look up In-law divorce....:innocent0

:D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Look up In-law divorce....:innocent0

:D

:lol2:

I wish. Well, now it’s on me for the next couple of days. I’ve got too much work to take off and yard chores to finish tomorrow. So I could in theory get up in the stand from about 3pm-dark Thursday and Friday. But it looks like all the movement is morning till late morning and then again after dark. Not seeing anything after 10am. And if those two love birds are bedding down there later in the morning no way I can sneak in to my stand 20-30yds away. Not unless I can levitate 30ft off the ground.

I’ve still got some hope for next weekend or the following weekend. But then the question if I do get something. Do I bother going out to Greenridge like I’d planned for the last couple of days of the early season. I was going to camp…and it’s damned cold. I guess I need to find out if my buddy is going to go with his step son.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Honey Suckle

I have about 35 acres of woods and have spent many hours doing removal of honeysuckle to keep it under control. Neighbors have not done anything to control it and over the last 20 years or so has taken over large sections of their woods. It can keep its leaves into January and some of their honeysuckle areas are unhuntable for archery. It will never go away as can spread from the roots and from bird crap that has seeds in it but can be controlled. It makes good deer cover, but be aware it can spread like crazy.

There are a lot of options for throw and grow food plot mixes. I like a mix that has turnips, they eat the green tops early and then will eat the exposed turnip top later when ripens and gets sweeter. Also like to use radish, attached photo is from yesterday at a radish plot I have.

Attachments

• 82218A52-BDFF-495B-97EB-C655A0E2BB36.jpg
      82218A52-BDFF-495B-97EB-C655A0E2BB36.jpg
      129.3 KB · Views: 103

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Nice plot,
    But in the end, it is in the open and receives sunlight.
    OP is looking for something that will grow in full shade (mature woods)

I have yet to find anything beside mountain laurel that grows in the full shade of a mature forest.

I have about 35 acres of woods and have spent many hours doing removal of honeysuckle to keep it under control. Neighbors have not done anything to control it and over the last 20 years or so has taken over large sections of their woods. It can keep its leaves into January and some of their honeysuckle areas are unhuntable for archery. It will never go away as can spread from the roots and from bird crap that has seeds in it but can be controlled. It makes good deer cover, but be aware it can spread like crazy.

There are a lot of options for throw and grow food plot mixes. I like a mix that has turnips, they eat the green tops early and then will eat the exposed turnip top later when ripens and gets sweeter. Also like to use radish, attached photo is from yesterday at a radish plot I have.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice plot,
    But in the end, it is in the open and receives sunlight.
    OP is looking for something that will grow in full shade (mature woods)

I have yet to find anything beside mountain laurel that grows in the full shade of a mature forest.

It is pretty mature, but the area is thinner on mature trees right there, so the upper canopy is thinner. Plus the woods are only about 60-80yds wide at that point. So it gets some direct sun that isn’t too filtered early in the morning before the sun gets above the level of the upper canopy and in the summer it gets some modestly filtered sun around mid day for an hour or three. This time of the year it is getting direct sun almost all day long, though short days, with all the leaves off. Granted not much grows well once it gets cold.

It isn’t quiet as bad as being deep woods. But yeah, I’d call it shaded. Just maybe not deep shade. If I left the saplings it would be deep shade

Fscwi, my hope is some year I can have enough acreage that even if I don’t have any natural clearings, I could clear a half acre to an acre patch to get much better sun exposure and do some good plantings with trees that produce good mast around the edge of the clearing. But I am not willing/prepared to do that here. I COULD put in a deer plot in my front yard, but my neighbors are not going to appreciate me bow hunting right off the street.

My other side yard has a lot more sunlight and I may put in clover there, as I am scattering corn and shooting them from a blind there sometimes. But for whatever reason (I am guessing a travel corridor thing? Or it might just be there isn’t enough there to attract bucks to food sources) big bucks are extremely rare there. They don’t seem to travel through there and I only rarely get one on camera even at night.

I think a lot is they are using the woods/creek to move up from thicker woods in the park to get to food sources (people’s lawns and gardens). So a ton more deer moving through there, versus the few that use my front yard or side yard as a food source.

The woods food source plans are as much a hope I can get deer swinging by for a snack on the way too/from other food sources than is an hopeful a relatively small plot can really keep and hold deer as a primary food source for them. Probably won’t hurt to plant clover in my side yard.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    our guys are planting in the thinning strips and clear areas with browse, grasses and grains... turnips... canola...

in other areas they are doing a lot of pear trees. some persimmons. they have other stuff, but i am not recalling off hand.

i did see pics of some of the pear trees. they were loaded down so heavy with fruit, a couple had limb break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom