• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    "Following a series of departures, House Speaker Adrienne A. Jones (D-Baltimore County) shook up committee leadership Tuesday, appointing House Judiciary Committee Vice Chair Vanessa E. Atterbeary (D-Howard) as chair of the House Ways and Means Committee and making several other key appointments."

https://www.marylandmatters.org/blo...ans-chair-announces-other-leadership-changes/

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Where is the new gerrymandering map getting debated

None of these maps reflect a real District 6. Let alone a real reflection of east of there. I hate gerrymandering regardless of the party responsible for it.

Sorry, but Western MD has nothing culturally, economically, or otherwise in common with MoCo. This is a reiteration of the same power grab.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/11/legislative-redistricting-advisory-commission-releases-four-concept-congressional-maps-for-public-comment/

https://redistricting.mgaleg.maryland.gov/proposed-planviewer/#PROPOSEDCONGRESSPLAN3

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Del. Moon is taking her place in Judiciary. Not an improvement from a 2A standpoint, although he doesn't have her connection to the mad mommies.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Del. Moon is taking her place in Judiciary. Not an improvement from a 2A standpoint, although he doesn't have her connection to the mad mommies.

But we pick up Shoemaker in Judiciary to fill Moon's seat as he moves up to Atterbeary's VC position. Get rid of Atterbeary and add an (R) to Judiciary, while maybe not a win in this state, certainly isn't a loss or a wash.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    None of these maps reflect a real District 6. Let alone a real reflection of east of there. I hate gerrymandering regardless of the party responsible for it.

Sorry, but Western MD has nothing culturally, economically, or otherwise in common with MoCo. This is a reiteration of the same power grab.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/11/legislative-redistricting-advisory-commission-releases-four-concept-congressional-maps-for-public-comment/

https://redistricting.mgaleg.maryland.gov/proposed-planviewer/#PROPOSEDCONGRESSPLAN3

Then get more people to move into the area West of Hagerstown and the state won't have to make the districts equal in population by adding any part of MoCo to your precious part of the state.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Atterbeary out of judiciary makes me happy. I was concerned that she would move up a seat in the judiciary making her top dog in the room. Bye bye! Don't let the door hit you in the a$$!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll defer to Dblas on overall Commttee structure implications .

But Moon is also a total nutjob .

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    But we pick up Shoemaker in Judiciary to fill Moon's seat as he moves up to Atterbeary's VC position. Get rid of Atterbeary and add an (R) to Judiciary, while maybe not a win in this state, certainly isn't a loss or a wash.

Atterbeary can still make 2A trouble in her new assignment, just using different levers of state power. Ways and Means does tax legislation, so instead of regulating firearms and ammunition using criminal law, she can push through bills imposing burdensome taxes on purchase, possession, and use. She didn't suddenly become less obsessive in her support to the Demanding Mommies when Speaker Jones handed her a new committee room assignment.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Moon is scary because he appears to be genuinely competent. The legislation that he wrote banning binary triggers, bumpstocks, etc. while specifically leaving out normal semi-auto triggers was probably the sharpest piece of gun control legislation I've seen out of Annapolis in years. Maybe ever.

The good news is, he doesn't seem to hate us as badly as Atterbeary et al, so it's entirely possible he'll be dormant on this issue for the most part.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The mad mommies must be apoplectic about Mama Bear’s new assignment.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Moon is scary because he appears to be genuinely competent. The legislation that he wrote banning binary triggers, bumpstocks, etc. while specifically leaving out normal semi-auto triggers was probably the sharpest piece of gun control legislation I've seen out of Annapolis in years. Maybe ever.

The good news is, he doesn't seem to hate us as badly as Atterbeary et al, so it's entirely possible he'll be dormant on this issue for the most part.

Ah yes, I remembered correctly. Definite nutjob!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    F^ck moon. Lewis, Moon, and atterbeary were laughing, talking, and pointing at computer screens in the corner of the room while people were actively testifying to the committee. It was disrespectful AF. They got the ol smokey snap.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'll defer to Dblas on overall Commttee structure implications .

But Moon is also a total nutjob .

He is, and has been, so we already know what to expect from him. But we also pick up another (R) seat in Judiciary. As I said before, in the big scheme of things, probably not a big game changer, but every little bit helps.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Atterbeary can still make 2A trouble in her new assignment, just using different levers of state power. Ways and Means does tax legislation, so instead of regulating firearms and ammunition using criminal law, she can push through bills imposing burdensome taxes on purchase, possession, and use. She didn't suddenly become less obsessive in her support to the Demanding Mommies when Speaker Jones handed her a new committee room assignment.

She can whole heartedly continue to submit anti-2A legislation, but will only be in Judiciary as the sponsor. As for the tax implications, it's not as simple as you make it out to be. Every tax that has been tried on anything firearms related, has been shot down without even making out of committee. Yes, she is the new Committee Chair, but I doubt that will change much in what happens to bills that affect the 2A only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom