Should I fuss over one bad cartridge in a box?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    I bought a good amount of ammo online, but one box of 50 had a cartridge with a missing primer. I thought I was buying a decent brand (GECO USA made) but it makes me a bit wary of quality control.

Is this common or uncommon? Worth making a fuss with the sellers over it?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I bought a good amount of ammo online, but one box of 50 had a cartridge with a missing primer. I thought I was buying a decent brand (GECO USA made) but it makes me a bit wary of quality control.

Is this common or uncommon? Worth making a fuss with the sellers over it?

Let it go. One round is nothing to get upset about... could have shaken out anywhere in the logistics chain. Does underscore the need to inspect every round before loading (handloads and factory alike). Stuff happens.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I've bought GECO and never had an issue.

Pandemic ammo QC seems nonexistent. I think ammo makers are squeezing out whatever they can. I got a box of reman from a (normally) reputable maker (not GECO) that I have bought from before ... which looked like a fudd had loaded it in his garage on a single stage without even cleaning the brass. They sent me 504 instead of 500, two had no primers and one had a deformed primer, and some squibs.

I think that pre 2020 this was uncommon, post 2020 its too common unfortunately.

If its factory new, I would email them see if they will make it right (no downside in asking). I would buy from GECO again either way they are typically solid.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I had that happen with a box of Federal .450 Bushmaster ammo I bought earlier this year. I was a little miffed since it cost about $2 per round. Still, the brass (Starline) was salvaged, so not as much of a loss.

Never had this happen before. I guess QC may have suffered in a rush to get product out the door during the ammo crunch.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    One, I wouldn’t bother… 3 boxes in a row. Happened to me once..

Actually shotgun shells, misformed on the shot end… 3 in all boxes from the same bulk 4x25 pack.

2 of the 3 would still shoot, but the 3rd, one from every box, wouldn’t even feed. Seemed like one crimped head on the line was having problems.

The bulged plastic was visible with a close exam, or running your thumb nail along the shell to the top.

Federal was dismissive when reported.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I would inform them, not to solicit any sort of freebee, but because there may be a problem with that lot of ammo or a particular component or machine in the process. There may be a dozen others or more who received a single round with a missing primer, and letting the manufacturer know is a step forward in curing the problem.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    One, I wouldn’t bother… 3 boxes in a row. Happened to me once..

Actually shotgun shells, misformed on the shot end… 3 in all boxes from the same bulk 4x25 pack.

2 of the 3 would still shoot, but the 3rd, one from every box, wouldn’t even feed. Seemed like one crimped head on the line was having problems.

The bulged plastic was visible with a close exam, or running your thumb nail along the shell to the top.

Federal was dismissive when reported.
    I’ve had several boxes of Winchester field loads (most likely bought at Wally World) in the past where I opened the box and a pile of loose shot poured out on the ground and my lap. Several rounds had the crimps come open, in brand new bulk box packs that weren’t visibly externally damaged. Chucked the bad ones, used the good ones, moved on with my life.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    An email to the manufacturer, including lot number and when and where you bought it, should only cost you a couple minutes time (possibly less than it took to make this thread) and just might get you a free box of ammo :shrug: why not?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I agree to email and send pics.
    What Caliber?
    When 2A was selling Geco 223, I purchased some. then shot in my dad's AR. Also it came on plastic stripper clips to quick to load a mag w/ a spoon. Then purchased a bunch more! stuff was stupid accurate in his Bushmaster HBAR. 1MOA @ 100 yards
    When prices come down, if I see it again, I'll purchase more just to have some decent factory Ammo on hand.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Let it go. One round is nothing to get upset about... could have shaken out anywhere in the logistics chain. Does underscore the need to inspect every round before loading (handloads and factory alike). Stuff happens.

Unless some "exotic" .338 lapua, .50bmg, ect!! Lol

fogman

I would inform them, not to solicit any sort of freebee, but because there may be a problem with that lot of ammo or a particular component or machine in the process. There may be a dozen others or more who received a single round with a missing primer, and letting the manufacturer know is a step forward in curing the problem.

Quick email to let them know about the problem. They may have more problems than just a missing primer.

I had issues with CCI Mini-mag ammo a few years ago. I contacted CCI to let them know about the problem so that they knew they might have a problem with their production line. They were very thankful to know about the issue and investigated based on lot#. They sent me a 100rnd box to replace the bad box plus a couple more for my trouble.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve had several boxes of Winchester field loads (most likely bought at Wally World) in the past where I opened the box and a pile of loose shot poured out on the ground and my lap. Several rounds had the crimps come open, in brand new bulk box packs that weren’t visibly externally damaged. Chucked the bad ones, used the good ones, moved on with my life.

I’ve had 3 or 4 boxes of Winchester targets loads with the same. One the box looked damaged. The others the boxes looked fine, but they weren’t properly crimped and it was several rounds in the box with the shot loose.

Never had a missing primer. I’ve had a few rounds over the years that were obviously loaded SHORT like, bullet had pushed back. No damage to the box. Might not have blown up a gun, certainly would have caused a serious pressure spike.

A few duds where several hits to the primer wouldn’t set it off and they went in the misfire can at the range. These days I pull them apart for the components…

But it’s rare. I don’t know, less than 1:1000 rounds have had some kind of noticeable issue with them (ignoring 22lr. There I am lucky if 1 round in 500 is a dud. Even good brands. Though the difference is a good brand might be 1:500 and a bad brand might be 1:50).

If I had multiple in a box or multiple across a small number of boxes I’d be writing to the manufacturer.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Quick email to let them know about the problem. They may have more problems than just a missing primer.

I had issues with CCI Mini-mag ammo a few years ago. I contacted CCI to let them know about the problem so that they knew they might have a problem with their production line. They were very thankful to know about the issue and investigated based on lot#. They sent me a 100rnd box to replace the bad box plus a couple more for my trouble.

I am glad you did what you did. We are not trying to punish gun and ammo manufacturers, rather, as responsible gun owners we want to short-circuit problems so the harsh spotlight cast by anti's isn't shined on gun and ammo problems, contributing to the destruction of 2A.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    Thanks for the advice all. GECO doesn't make it easy to email them directly, but I used the contact form to let them know. We'll see if they respond.
    I emailed the sellers too, but no response. I guess it's a sellers market in ammo land.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Remington 12 gauge shell. Was at a club shoot trying to close my O/U shotgun with 2 rounds on the skeet range. It would not close. Everyone is looking at me like "doesn't he know how to operate his shotgun?" Noticed this small ridge just long enough to make the O/U refuse to close on the round. Wonder if it would have chambered in the 870 pump?

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpg
      IMG_1597.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 76
    • IMG_1598.jpg
      IMG_1598.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 73

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Seems there’s been some recall on varies ammo lately, seen sign in Bass pro. But I don’t think it’s in common to get a bad round now and then . Hasn’t happen often to me but has happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom