• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hidaro

May 4, 2021
    I have an AR15 and have been trying to get it zero'd in since February! The reason is because I've had to switch my optics out twice and finally have a decent optic but it's such a PITA to try and get it zero'd. Especially because my gun only likes a very specific brand of 55gr .223 (Frontier)

I had two RSO's try to sight my scope in and they both got frustrated. We were able to get decent groupings, but couldn't sight the scope in. It's a Burris RT-6 for reference.

I can't just pick up my gun and go shooting. Every range trip has been me troubleshooting. I would love if someone who knows optics & AR's to come to Cresap rifle range on a Sunday afternoon with me and help me zero this damn thing in. I shoot from a bench rest with a bipod/sandbags and you can shoot all the ammo you want. My gun is capable of 1 MOA groupings it just needs to be hitting the right spot on the target.

Thanks!! I'll pay $50 to anyone who can get groups where my reticle is. Cresap rifle range is open 10-3pm on Sundays.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My first guess would be something is amiss with the AR or scope/ mounts
    Is it a factory or home built? If factory, what is it? If home built, what components and who built it?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I have an AR15 and have been trying to get it zero'd in since February! The reason is because I've had to switch my optics out twice and finally have a decent optic but it's such a PITA to try and get it zero'd. Especially because my gun only likes a very specific brand of 55gr .223 (Frontier)

I had two RSO's try to sight my scope in and they both got frustrated. We were able to get decent groupings, but couldn't sight the scope in. It's a Burris RT-6 for reference.

I can't just pick up my gun and go shooting. Every range trip has been me troubleshooting. I would love if someone who knows optics & AR's to come to Cresap rifle range on a Sunday afternoon with me and help me zero this damn thing in. I shoot from a bench rest with a bipod/sandbags and you can shoot all the ammo you want. My gun is capable of 1 MOA groupings it just needs to be hitting the right spot on the target.

Thanks!! I'll pay $50 to anyone who can get groups where my reticle is. Cresap rifle range is open 10-3pm on Sundays.

You mention having to switch out optics 2x since Feb. What was the issue with the prior optic(s)? Same issue as the Burris?

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I would help but not this weekend. I might also recommend going to other ranges due to possible over crowding and wait times. Did you look in the instructions to determine how to find mechanical zero? Go all the way to one limit then count back half the range of clicks. This is mostly for windage but probably might work in elevation too. If you just start anywhere you might be far off and it might feel like its not working reasonably, etc. and cause lots of frustration.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Id offer to help and im close but I'm tied up this weekend. If you continue to struggle I might be available the following weekend

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    You can do this. Here’s my advice.

1st. Determine that your scope is set perfectly level and plum, and that you’re scope rings and bases are tight.
    Do you yourself a huge favor and get some targets that are laid out in 1 inch squares.
    I would sight in at 50 yards. Put your gun on the bench and set it in either sandbags, or some type of a good steady rest. This helps remove human error.

Shoot two rounds without making any adjustments, to make sure you’re rifle is printing an acceptable group. If so then proceed to what’s below.

Now count the squares, and make the adjustments on your scope accordingly.
    Most scopes are 1/4 of an inch per click. If you are shooting at 50 yards you need to cut this number in half, so 1/8” per click. Just do the math, to get your group where you want it to go. At 50 yards 8 clicks would be 1” of movement. Scopes are marked, with which way to move to make the adjustments. Move your adjustments the same way you want your bullet to impact.

I might be able to help you. Send a pm if you want. It might work better, if you would meet me in the Frederick area? Let me know.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    You may want to consider sighting in at 10 yards first. Then going out to 50 yards. At 10 yards you will shoot 1.9 inches low. At 50 yards you should be on target.

I've sighted in several rifles this way and was almost spot on at 50. Just minor adjustments at that point.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since this is specifically an AR-15 -

Remove upper from lower , remove bolt carrier , etc , so that you can look from the chamber , thru the bbl .

Use some sort of rest , sandbag , etc to stabilize the upper .

Look thru the bore , and center on some object in back yard 50- ish yards away .

Adjust optic to cover the same object . Raise and lower your head the 2.5 inches to alternate between the bore and the optic until they match .

Congratulations ! You are now Old School Boresghted !

Travel to range , testfire . Best case , you're actually sighted . Worst case , you're on the paper , and fine tune from there .

IF not on paper , it's either loose mounting , or defective optic .

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I've done this (what Biggfoot44 describes above) at the range many times for shooters that have messed up their scopes. You can also do it at home in the basement or in your yard prior to going to the range. It helps to have an object like a pen or piece of doweling to stick in between your upper and lower to support/hold the upper in place while you adjust the scope. A rifle cleaning cradle can also be useful. You should be able to get within a few inches at 50 yards without firing a shot.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And instead of counting squares and trying to covert clicks to distance and what what do I turn the knobs.....

Bore sight as mentioned above.

Fire 1 round at a target 25 yards away. A simple 1" dot on a blank piece of paper will work.

Then, using a rest or sandbags, support the rifle so it will not move with the reticle centered on the aiming point. Then twist the turrets until the reticle moves to the bullet hole. No thinking required. :D

The switch to 100 yards (or whatever distance you want) and fire a group and fine tune reticle.

With a good shooter and an accurate rifle, you can be sighted in with 3 rounds.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    And instead of counting squares and trying to covert clicks to distance and what what do I turn the knobs.....

Fire 1 round at a target 25 yards away. A simple 1" dot on a blank piece of paper will work.

Then, using a rest or sandbags, support the rifle so it will not move with the reticle centered on the aiming point. Then twist the turrets until the reticle moves to the bullet hole. No thinking required. :D

The switch to 100 yards (or whatever distance you want) and fire a group and fine tune reticle.

Truth. I don't even mess around with wasting ammo any more.

To demonstrate how effective bore sighting is, I had brought a rifle to the Ft. Meade range. It was my first time shooting there but I had incorrectly assumed that I would be able to sight in my rifle and adjust my new scope before shooting out to 600yds. Well all of regulars didn't want to bother shooting at any distance other than 600yds. Also at Ft. Meade you cannot just leave the range when you want to. So I was stuck there with an unsighted rifle. I saw an orange traffic cone in the grass and guesstimated it was about 50yds away. I did exactly the method you described above.

I plugged in my 50yd zero into my ballistic calculator and was hitting steel and paper right out of the gate.

Now I have a tree in by backyard where I painted a 2" fluorescent orange dot on the trunk. It's 40yds from my basement sliding glass door. Now I just bore sight before I go to the range.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

Brilliant! I do boresight when feasible but was unaware of this technique. Thanks pinecone

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    OP hidaro, many people have read this thread and offered advice to help you. In your follow up thread, you thanked Ed Shell for helping you solve the problem. Two people asked what was the outcome, and how was the problem solved. I think it is rude that you chose to ignore enlightening everyone after so many people offered advice to help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom