• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Gave it some pretty solid raps so much so that the brass drift I was using started to bend. I am driving it out to the right (hitting on the left). Any tips? Don't want to bugger it but also feel it's a task beneath taking it to a smith. Is there a particular sight removal tool that would work in this application?

TIA gents

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    Sounds like you have a 10/22 where the front sight doesn't want to move. I was in the same boat. In no particular order, here are some things I've seen to try:
    -- steel punches. Recommendation I read was if you are worried that you are hitting it too hard, you are not hitting it hard enough. This might not work.
    -- use a dremmel with a cutting tool (there are youtube videos).
    -- go to a gunsmith.
    -- use a sight push. I used this Williams one (currently $70) : MidwayUSA link. Took longer to setup... came right off.

Cheers,
    Jim

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I've had some that come out easily. They should go from left to right. I bent a sight pusher tool in the past doing this on a 10/22 factory barrel. I had to cut one in half with a dremel cutoff wheel to get it out. It appeared to have corroded to the dovetail. You might want to try Kroil or other penetrating oil before cutting it though.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Remember to support the rifle as you strike the sight so all the force is delivered to the sight? Liquid wrench? Heat? (not at the same time...) :rolleyes:
    Yep, Right out, Left in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom