• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rootytootyshooty

Apr 12, 2019
    I wanted to get some opinions on everyone's favorite sling setups. I don't have the luxury of shooting from bench with a bipod all the time, and Appleseed has convinced me that for fast, modular shooting, a sling is the marksman's best friend.

Specifically, what sling and attachments do you use for:

1. A longer, heavier gun (Ruger precision rifle with keymod)

2. Shorter, sub guns (CMMG banshees)

3. Medium carbines (AR, AK, etc)

Thanks!

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I use a 2 point quick adjust vtac style sling for my ar15's and my Remington 700. For sub guns a bungee single point should work well

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I wanted to get some opinions on everyone's favorite sling setups. I don't have the luxury of shooting from bench with a bipod all the time, and Appleseed has convinced me that for fast, modular shooting, a sling is the marksman's best friend.

1. A longer, heavier gun (Ruger precision rifle with keymod)

Thanks!

I have 5 of the same sling. They are all Blue Force gear Vickers 2 point slings. Most of them are attached via quick detach mounts.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    For the past several sling purchases, and nearly everything going forward (minus weapons that have a purpose-built sling) I'm standardizing on 2-point quick adjust slings and pushbutton QD mounts. Vickers/BFG VCAS is my preferred design, though I've used the VTAC and Magpul slings as well. VTAC is kind of annoying because it leaves a tail flopping/flapping around, and the "urgent" action (getting the weapon into shooting position) requires both hands. Regardless of the type, I've been sewing quality pushbutton sling mounts into the ends after getting the size adjusted right.

1. A longer, heavier gun (Ruger precision rifle with KeyMod)
    One of the upsides to KeyMod is that when attaching a KM QD sling mount, the tip of the QD "plug" protrudes into the middle of the three slots, thus sitting very low profile. If your stock doesn't already have a mount, an MLOK rail mount QD with the recoil tabs ground off or a Noveske or IWC mount can be screwed onto it. For a heavy precision rifle, consider a padded sling.

I've tried single point slings multiple times, and for anything bigger than an MP5K I think a two point is the way to go. On my MP5 pistol, I'm currently using a VCAS two-point with a pushbutton QD in the rear and an HK hook in the front, so I can convert it into a single-point. There are adapters available to convert a two-point QD sling into a single point. Watch your junk, though.

Two-point VCAS. Padded or not depending on the weight. Collapsible stock with a QD mount, or DIY attach an MLOK or Noveske mount to the outboard side of a fixed stock. Front attachment point somewhere on the forend where it doesn't interfere with your hand position, lights, lasers, etc.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Grovtec makes excellent swivels and bases. They were the original flush-mount swivel cup, I believe. (Or at least a very good one.) And MagPul makes a good basic two-point sling for around $20. The M14 GI sling is also excelllent.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My Garand uses a Garand sling. My SKS uses and SKS sling. My 870 uses some cheap nylon sling. My muzzleloader uses a claw sling. Everything else (M1 carbine, AR-15, etc.) that has a sling uses a reproduction M1 carbine sling. Lightweight, comfortable, used mostly for carrying and still helps some with off hand shooting in a pinch.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I use cheapo Blackhawk nylon slings with QD swivels. The one point bungees are junk IMHO. I don't want anything heavy attached to me flopping around.

I adjust my fixed slings so that I can carry the rifle in front comfortably but still transition into a shooting position easily. When I shoulder the rifle the sling is tight and gives me a stable hold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom