• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    They are just full of fun this morning. I checked all of them and now this. Looks like they are on the Senate agenda for tomorrow for second read (4/5).

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As I predicted, that useless piece of shit Chris West was the Republican Quisling for the long gun transfer bill.
    Gives an indication where Hogan stands (iirc, Hogan supported West over other Republican candidates that have been more vocal 2A advocates).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Gives an indication where Hogan stands (iirc, Hogan supported West over other Republican candidates that have been more vocal 2A advocates).

He's the quintessential "Hogan conservative."

I have no doubt Fat Larry will sign all of these except the handgun permit review board bill.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Apologies if I'm in the wrong thread. This is the LQL, 1 week wait, etc is now same day 4473 check for secondary long gun sales thread, right? (And the can't transfer/lend a long gun to a prohibited person is a different piece of legislation and different MDS thread)

In what folks have seen for the currently marked up version, does the long gun then go the consignment sales route? Does the buyer give payment to the seller or FFL? I'm presuming the latter, suggesting it might be a consignment sale or a whole new category (where the fee is whatever the FFL charges for the transfer).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It seems to be the stripped down LQL (without the LQL, without the 1 week wait, without the registration, without the 1 per month limit) that requires sales and transfers to occur through an FFL. There is a list of exclusions to the 4473 transfer that includes the following from the Senate bill ...

5–204.1.

(A) THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO A TRANSFER:

(9) THAT IS TEMPORARY, OCCURS UNDER CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THE TRANSFEROR HAS NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE TRANSFEREE INTENDS TO USE THE RIFLE OR SHOTGUN IN THE COMMISSION OF A CRIME OR TO ALLOW ANOTHER PERSON TO USE THE RIFLE OR SHOTGUN, AND TAKES PLACE EXCLUSIVELY:

(I) AT AN ESTABLISHED SPORT SHOOTING RANGE OR GUN CLUB OPERATED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LOCAL LAW OF THE JURISDICTION IN WHICH THE RANGE OR CLUB IS LOCATED;

(II) DURING A LAWFULLY ORGANIZED COMPETITION INVOLVING THE USE OF A RIFLE OR SHOTGUN;

(III) DURING A PERFORMANCE OR A PRACTICE FOR A PERFORMANCE BY AN ORGANIZED GROUP THAT USES RIFLES OR SHOTGUNS AS PART OF THE PERFORMANCE;

(IV) WHILE THE TRANSFEREE IS HUNTING OR TRAPPING IF THE HUNTING OR TRAPPING IS LEGAL IN ALL PLACES AND AT ALL TIMES WHEN THE HUNTING OR TRAPPING IS CONDUCTED AND THE TRANSFEREE HOLDS ANY LICENSE OR PERMIT REQUIRED FOR THE HUNTING OR TRAPPING; OR

(V) IN THE ACTUAL PRESENCE OF THE TRANSFEROR.

The inclusion of (9)(V) means that the owner needs to be present for circumstances (I) to (IV)? Can one lend a rifle to someone (not prohibited to possess a long gun) that is going hunting without the long gun's owner should this bill pass? What's the point of including it if the owner need not be present?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It seems to be the stripped down LQL (without the LQL, without the 1 week wait, without the registration, without the 1 per month limit) that requires sales and transfers to occur through an FFL. There is a list of exclusions to the 4473 transfer that includes the following from the Senate bill ...

The inclusion of (9)(V) means that the owner needs to be present for circumstances (I) to (IV)? Can one lend a rifle to someone (not prohibited to possess a long gun) that is going hunting without the long gun's owner should this bill pass? What's the point of including it if the owner need not be present?

No, the list I-V are mutually exclusive. 9 has to be true at the same time that I, II, III, IV or V are true.

So basically you don't think they are prohibited and you don't believe they intend to use it for a crime then the transfer can occur at a shooting competition, range or while hunting or a demonstration.

OR 9 has to be true (not da criminal) AND you are present. So I can hand a rifle to my friend if he wants to look at it, but I can't walk away. Or we can be shooting in my backyard, which isn't an established range, but I can't go in an take a crap while he is shooting my rifle.

But if it occurred while we were hunting, I don't have to stay physically present with my buddy, so long as we were hunting. Or at a range, etc.

I assume all of those though mean that I couldn't loan my neighbor a rifle to take to the range and return to me when he comes back or take a shotgun hunting and return it when he is back.

So basically extremely limited loaning under very tight circumstances.

Hopefully it goes down in flames or doesn't even come up for a vote, but I am not hopeful at this point.

Also where did you find the language? Was that out of SB737 or HB786? Because as far as I can find and tell, only HB786 has the amended language posted (which appears to be the same as what you posted), SB737 advanced out of committee amended today, but the language isn't up on MGA's website yet (probably sometime tomorrow).

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    to pile on, regardless of the collectors letter, the wear and carry statue already carves out the exception for:

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/4-203/

Are you moving your collection from place to place for public or private exhibition? Whats an exhibition? Showboating your AR Pistol for your friends probably does not cut it.

Also, keep in mind, this only applies to handguns....

Actually, that’s EXACTLY what it means, as it is written.

Laws are words. Words mean things. Not what you think they might mean, but rather what the words actually say. Don’t try to be smarter than the words the law is composed of. It’s not your responsibility to try and imagine what you think the people who wrote that law must’ve meant. It’s your responsibility to comply with it as it is written

I’m a state designated collector. If I bring an AR pistol to show you, at your house, that’s an exhibition, at a private venue. Exactly as the law states.

Now... if everyone on this board would simply offer other members a full-time, standing, unannounced invite to all other members who are state designated collectors to drop by any time, in order to exhibit a firearm at their private residence.... then you’d always have a place to be heading to if anyone in authority ever made an issue of it. If you were stopped at 3am and pressed to explain why you were transporting a regulated firearm, all you’d have to say is “I’m on the way to Redeye’s house. He’s an insomniac. I figured he would wanna see this.”

And I’ll say “Yep, I told him or any other MDS folks to drop by any time. Just PM me if they got lost on the way here..”

And the law is hereby complied with.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hi Lazarus,

Thanks for your thoughts. I was puzzled on the necessity to add (V). I guess it's so a friend doesn't deliver to another friend, maybe.

As per where I found it, I followed links from here on my phone ...

https://www.msrpa.org/2019-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/

but couldn't tell you which ones. I'm trying to attach the PDF that I think that I downloaded today if this helps (but have had mixed luck attaching PDFs in the past and have a few similar files in the d/l folder). There are strikeouts of things that we know to be gone, but I don't know how current the document is.

Eta: so one can't lend temporarily if someone needs a long gun at home for self-defense?

View attachment hb0786T.pdf

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    No, the list I-V are mutually exclusive. 9 has to be true at the same time that I, II, III, IV or V are true.

So basically you don't think they are prohibited and you don't believe they intend to use it for a crime then the transfer can occur at a shooting competition, range or while hunting or a demonstration.

OR 9 has to be true (not da criminal) AND you are present. So I can hand a rifle to my friend if he wants to look at it, but I can't walk away. Or we can be shooting in my backyard, which isn't an established range, but I can't go in an take a crap while he is shooting my rifle.

But if it occurred while we were hunting, I don't have to stay physically present with my buddy, so long as we were hunting. Or at a range, etc.

I assume all of those though mean that I couldn't loan my neighbor a rifle to take to the range and return to me when he comes back or take a shotgun hunting and return it when he is back.

So basically extremely limited loaning under very tight circumstances.

Hopefully it goes down in flames or doesn't even come up for a vote, but I am not hopeful at this point.

Also where did you find the language? Was that out of SB737 or HB786? Because as far as I can find and tell, only HB786 has the amended language posted (which appears to be the same as what you posted), SB737 advanced out of committee amended today, but the language isn't up on MGA's website yet (probably sometime tomorrow).

The sad thing is that the hoodlums in Baltimore will care not a whit about ANY of the sections. :sad20:

ETA: This PROVES that the MGA is in the business of creating new criminals outside of their fantasy world, rather than punishing the current ones. But we knew that before.

xKtF

Nov 5, 2018
    The sad thing is that the hoodlums in Baltimore will care not a whit about ANY of the sections. :sad20:

ETA: This PROVES that the MGA is in the business of creating new criminals outside of their fantasy world, rather than punishing the current ones. But we knew that before.

I am sure they are just trying to protect us :rolleyes:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Laws are words. Words mean things. Not what you think they might mean, but rather what the words actually say. Don’t try to be smarter than the words the law is composed of. It’s not your responsibility to try and imagine what you think the people who wrote that law must’ve meant. It’s your responsibility to comply with it as it is written

I’m a state designated collector. If I bring an AR pistol to show you, at your house, that’s an exhibition, at a private venue. Exactly as the law states.

Now... if everyone on this board would simply offer other members a full-time, standing, unannounced invite to all other members who are state designated collectors to drop by any time, in order to exhibit a firearm at their private residence.... then you’d always have a place to be heading to if anyone in authority ever made an issue of it. If you were stopped at 3am and pressed to explain why you were transporting a regulated firearm, all you’d have to say is “I’m on the way to Redeye’s house. He’s an insomniac. I figured he would wanna see this.”

And I’ll say “Yep, I told him or any other MDS folks to drop by any time. Just PM me if they got lost on the way here..”

Good luck with that, let us know how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hi Lazarus,

Thanks for your thoughts. I was puzzled on the necessity to add (V). I guess it's so a friend doesn't deliver to another friend, maybe.

As per where I found it, I followed links from here on my phone ...

https://www.msrpa.org/2019-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/

but couldn't tell you which ones. I'm trying to attach the PDF that I think that I downloaded today if this helps (but have had mixed luck attaching PDFs in the past and have a few similar files in the d/l folder). There are strikeouts of things that we know to be gone, but I don't know how current the document is.

Eta: so one can't lend temporarily if someone needs a long gun at home for self-defense?

View attachment 257475

Ah, okay that’s the text for Hb786. Still nothing for how it was amended for SB737.

There is (I am pretty sure) a provision for self defense loans. But they’d have to be short in duration, etc.

The “in the presence” exception is so I can, for example, let you hold and look at my rifle. Because MGA is legislating that just touching someone else’s gun is considered a loan now.

Things like that. Or for example backyard shooting. That’s not a designated range...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Ah, okay that’s the text for Hb786. Still nothing for how it was amended for SB737.

There is (I am pretty sure) a provision for self defense loans. But they’d have to be short in duration, etc.

The “in the presence” exception is so I can, for example, let you hold and look at my rifle. Because MGA is legislating that just touching someone else’s gun is considered a loan now.

Things like that. Or for example backyard shooting. That’s not a designated range...

IIRC the "favorable with amendments" document for SB737 says something about conforming to the house version. Going from memory here.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    IIRC the "favorable with amendments" document for SB737 says something about conforming to the house version. Going from memory here.

Where'd you see that document? All I've seen is the vote sheet and it just has the votes. The 786 also had with favorable w/amendments checked. To me, that would mean the Senate committee amended the House version. If that's the case, it could get interesting. I didn't see anything new posted up on the MGA site a few mins ago.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Having a designated collector letter from MSP, DOES NOT make anyone (including you) a "bona fide gun collector". All the letter does is ensure that you are able to purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period.

There is an announcement by MSP stating as much floating around here somewhere, I have searched for it and can't find it right now in the limited time I have before I start my day.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is no statutory definition of Bona Fide Collector and no case law to give guidance on what it means.

Assuming you are a BonaFide Collector because you have a DC letter from MSP is a great way to get an interpretation from a Court on what it actually means when you are the defendant .

Good luck.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is no statutory definition of Bona Fide Collector and no case law to give guidance on what it means.

Assuming you are a BonaFide Collector because you have a DC letter from MSP is a great way to get an interpretation from a Court on what it actually means when you are the defendant .

Good luck.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Is there a Rosetta stone for legislator speak? This crap reminds me of:
    "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!" and soon:
    "I don't have any guns because I can't carry an attorney!".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom