• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Question, can the Ithaca M37 deerslayer III have a regular smooth bore barrel fitted to it so it can serve double duty? I thought the barrels had an interrupted thread and 1/4 turn would take the barrel off, but I can't find anything about replacing the rifled barrel with a standard smooth bore.
    Thanks!

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    Yes. To remove the barrel first have the bolt opened, turn the magazine cap clockwise then twist barrel to the left. most all used Ithaca 37 barrels will fit your gun. Stay away from any barrel's you see that have a serial number on them. They were numbered to the gun. After 855,000 the barrels were universal fit for the most part. You can go to Ithaca gun works and buy a new barrel directly from them.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. Guess there is a M37 Deerslayer and 'spare' barrel in my future.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Well, according to Ithaca...

No. Our current Deerslayer Models have barrels that are fixed to the receivers.

Thank You for contacting
    Ithaca Gun Company
    Patty Cooper
    USA All the Way!!
    Phone: 419-294-4113
    Toll-free: 877-648-4222

www.ithacagun.com

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    Both the Model 87 Deerslayer II as well as the current Deerslayer III do not have removable barrels. They are like a rifle, the barrel is screwed to the receiver tightly and are not meant to be removed. They can be, but it would require a barrel vise and an action wrench. Both shotguns are intended to be dedicated, purpose designed slug guns and as such all of the ones I have owned and shot were very accurate. If you really have to convert one to smooth bore you would have to have a barrel machined and assembled to the special receiver.
    The older original "deerslayer" Model 37 was just a 37 with a slug type barrel and was the same basic 37 configuration which did allow for an easy barrel change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom