• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    What happens if a felon wins?

In Maryland, under Attorney General Brian Frosh, I'm sure falsifying an application will result in swift charges, vigorous prosecution, and long incarceration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

md_06unltd

Oct 26, 2016
    Sugarloaf
    Hough says he’s a strong defender of what he calls “God-given” Second Amendment rights for law-abiding citizens."
    [/I]

Umm....am I the only one that noticed this?

The 2nd amendment isn't a "God given" right, it is a right bestowed upon the citizens by our Founding Fathers. And though I am not a constitutional scholar, I'm pretty sure none of them was named Jesus.

I'm just sayin.... :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While this is good, its not new in Md. Delegate Don raffled an evil rifle before.

Your Representives already on your side still need positive reinforcement, and they can give insights threats and opportunities with specific Bills, provisions, and members that could be worthy for you to address.

Even if Your Delegate/ Senator is unshakably 100 % pro or anti, then hit up all the members of the HJC and SJPC. My moto is " when you are dealing with Committee business, you are representing the state in its entirety, not just your District in particular."

Not a problem if a felon ( or prohibited person generally) wins the raffle. The campaign doesn't directly hand a physical gun to the winner. The transfer will be handled by an FFL with the usual procedures. In this instance, Hendershots Sports of Hagerstown.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    There's prob something in the fine print about "Winning is contingent upon being able to successfully complete the transfer."

Can't find it now...but it said, "Must pass background check"....as it is being transferred through Hendershot's, so I'm "guessing" you will be required to fill out a 4473.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Umm....am I the only one that noticed this?

The 2nd amendment isn't a "God given" right, it is a right bestowed upon the citizens by our Founding Fathers. And though I am not a constitutional scholar, I'm pretty sure none of them was named Jesus.

The second amendment is intended to prevent the government from infringing upon one's god-given right to self protection. The right comes from god, not the government.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The 2nd amendment isn't a "God given" right, it is a right bestowed upon the citizens by our Founding Fathers.

And you're just wrong. Some additional reading may be required and there's a mountain of written material available on the subject—most based on Blackstone's commentary and common English law (both of which the framers used to base the Constitution on)...

"Contemporary debates about the meaning of the Second Amendment—is it a collective right or an individual right?—would have been incomprehensible to the Founders. Everyone at the time agreed that the federal government had no power to infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Contemporary debates for the most part also fail to address the essential question of why the right to bear arms was enshrined in the Constitution in the first place. The right to self-defense and to the means of defending oneself is a basic natural right that grows out of the right to life. The Second Amendment therefore does not grant the people a new right; it merely recognizes the inalienable natural right to self-defense. Lawmakers may outlaw certain types of weapons, but they may not disarm the citizenry." —Nelson Lund, Ph.D. (Heritage)

I reckon it's reasonable to presume the framers believed the people had the [inalienable] right to own and carry (in public) any arm that isn't inherently dangerous to other people. This is why they didn't exclude the likes of cannons, Pepper or Puckle guns, all of which, today, would likely be classified as NFA weapons had they not been invented in the early 18th Century, even though none are any more inherently dangerous in the hands of a law-abiding citizen than a single-shot derringer, 1903A3 Springfield or 50 cal belt-fed machine gun. Contrast these with NBC weapons, which are inherently dangerous (imagine the havoc the average chemical weapons collector would cause by dropping a vile of Serin gas in his NYC condo!) and I think any reasonably intelligent adult can see the difference.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    IIRC, AOB was with us last February on the mall and would expect him there next month also. His statement seems like his version of frustration. He came to one HPRB meeting and the next thing you know he is in almost every Patriot Picket picture Rack puts up. You can play where's Waldo finding AOB in 2A pictures.

I second this.

But I would agree our pro-2A reps need to, and like to, hear from us. I see Gail Bates and Warren Miller at least once a year and email them throughout the year. :thumbsup:

Now to get in on Hough's fundraiser... :gun2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't be parochial in your support. More important than their particular home districts, is their service on important Committees .

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    FYI, got an email thanking me for my donation, and to let me know what my raffle numbers are.

-John

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    For such intelligent people on this board this type of thinking and statements really frustrate me.

There are at least 5 good reasons you should meet and regularly communicate with your pro 2A reps.

In addition to what Shafted says, they often need help and have valuable insight into steps we can take to attain our goals.

If you don't meet with all your reps at least annually (even those like Frosh) you are contributing to your own pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I said lobby.

I do stop in and say hi to him and/or his girl whenever I visit the statehouse or see him when I'm manning the MDS Patriot Picket line, a service to the 2A that everyone in reasonable driving distance from annapolis, i.e., almost every Marylander, should perform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom