• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    So I picked up this little beauty at Chantilly today. The left grip panel is a little loose, and it's a little rough, but I like her for my first 94.

89c58993-18aa-4daa-ab0f-c56bb02c90c7_zps79tglemt.jpg

6ea82691-5e02-4439-9def-2ae57a3e7083_zps2nutvwx2.jpg

From what I've read, the symbol to the left of '18' symbolizes the era of the reign of the Emperor Hirohito, Sho short for Showa. The date of 18.2 is for February 1943. Made at the Nagoya arsenal, according to the symbol under '18'. I'm not sure what the symbol next to the Nagoya symbol is.

c37e4e29-d13d-429f-affa-56579ad23ce4_zpsmhqj0bgk.jpg

This appears to be 'Type' '4' '9'. Not sure why it's backwards.

f49402f9-4f94-4053-add8-cd5278ccfb29_zpspfltto0j.jpg

Any thoughts?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks nice, I've been meaning to pick up a Type 14 or Type 94 for a while but other things keep popping up instead. I think I might have glanced at yours when I was at the show yesterday but didn't look it over. If I remember right, there was another later war one there that had wood grips.

I kinda wish I would have picked up the all matching non import marked VZ.52 rifle I looked at, the price was very reasonable (the guy quickly dropped it from $450 to $375) but something in my gut was telling me to steer clear so I passed

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Very nice! Doesn't look that rough to me, by that point in the war fit and finish had begun to take a hit so it isn't going to look as polished as the earlier ones. You're correct about the Showa date. The symbol to the right of the Nagoya Arsenal logo is pronounced 'nam', and it's the first character of 'Nambu'. The 'Type 4 9' part is actually read right to left, so it reads '9 4 Type'. Overall looks like a nice gun. It is all matching? Looks like it's missing the lanyard ring like a lot are. If you want a replacement, Don Schlickman makes a repro that is absolutely identical to the original (I got one from him a while back).

Jul 1, 2012
    Yup, looks pretty good to me too. Some light pitting here and there but that's to be expected.
    Does the magazine match? That adds a bit of value...

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I haven't taken it apart to look for numbers yet, but the mag does match.

This seller had two 94's and a Papa Nambu, I think that was the wood grip one you were mentioning. He also had a lot of other WWII pistols, lugers, P38's, 1911's.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Ya did well! Gotta remind myself to keep an eye out for a stray lanyard loop for you. That's all she needs. A pre-war Type 94 has been on mawkie's short list for a couple years now. Been seeing some nice examples come to market lately so perhaps I'll get lucky soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom