• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    She is reporting this as coming from Lanier.
    DC police chief- Non residents can possess a gun if legal to carry in home state or have valid carry permit.

Just what does that mean? I have 4 carry permits - CT, FL, UT, ME. I live in NJ. Can I carry or am I SOL?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    If you are legal to possess a firearm as a nonresident. You can have a firearm amd ammo in DC.

I'm not trying to argue but that is NOT what Miller is reporting tonight. She said Lanier stated you have to have a carry permit from state of residence or live where no permit is required. I understand that this wasn't in the advisory we saw earlier but it doesn't mean Miller is wrong or that Lanier isn't still crafting how to handle this.

Miller is putting out info that could keep folks out of pretty hefty legal bills. I wouldn't write it off so quickly.

She was reporting info she was getting from Lanier and dc police not making assumptions from the advisory. I would give her reports a little more credit until we know more.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Correct, sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Emily has been off, she should have reviewed the technical info rather than parroting Lanier.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    He can't make up those kinds of rules. To be charged with something it has to be codified.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I don't disagree at all. Just wouldn't put it past Lanier and the powers that be to make a few people pony up for a lawyer to prove it.

I'll stop being overly paranoid now. :)

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I'm not trying to argue but that is NOT what Miller is reporting tonight. She said Lanier stated you have to have a carry permit from state of residence or live where no permit is required.

That's not what she reported either. She said:

"DC police chief- Non residents can possess a gun if legal to carry in home state or have valid carry permit."

She did not say which state the permit had to be from.

The ruling actually says:

"Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District"

Lanier can't just make up a regulation. The DC city council or Congress has to do so.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'm not trying to argue but that is NOT what Miller is reporting tonight. She said Lanier stated you have to have a carry permit from state of residence or live where no permit is required. I understand that this wasn't in the advisory we saw earlier but it doesn't mean Miller is wrong or that Lanier isn't still crafting how to handle this.

Miller is putting out info that could keep folks out of pretty hefty legal bills. I wouldn't write it off so quickly.

She was reporting info she was getting from Lanier and dc police not making assumptions from the advisory. I would give her reports a little more credit until we know more.

I love Emily Miller but she is wrong IMO. The directive from DC Police says nothing about carry permits, EXCEPT in the examples she provided for her officers. As long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm in your home state, you may carry in DC (For now, anyway) Lanier is either playing games and issuing different orders (than the directive) to her officers, or isn't smart enough to understand it. IF Lanier is now saying a permit in your home state is required, she is in direct conflict with the court's ruling. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't try something though.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    geez. If she was relaying what Lanier told her than Miller isn't "wrong." LANIER is wrong and it isn't something that can possibly be enforced but it doesn't mean that Emily's report that Lanier said it is wrong. that was and is my only point. It's a technicality. miller isn't wrong, she's just relaying what Lanier said (which is wrong lol). I shouldn't have brought it up.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    geez. If she was relaying what Lanier told her than Miller isn't "wrong." LANIER is wrong and it isn't something that can possibly be enforced but it doesn't mean that Emily's report that Lanier said it is wrong. that was and is my only point. It's a technicality. miller isn't wrong, she's just relaying what Lanier said (which is wrong lol). I shouldn't have brought it up.

This is turning out to be a cluster f of epic proportions.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    geez. If she was relaying what Lanier told her than Miller isn't "wrong." LANIER is wrong and it isn't something that can possibly be enforced but it doesn't mean that the report that Lanier said that is wrong. that was and is my only point. It's a technicality. miller isn't wrong, she's just relaying what Lanier said. I shouldn't have brought it up.

You are correct. My apologies, I didn't mean to jump on you. I guess I should have clarified that perhaps Emily Miller should either point out the conflict or not be so quick to release information that is contradictory.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    this thread.

Attachments

• AP_NYC_train_derailment_jt_131130_16x9_992_1.jpg
      AP_NYC_train_derailment_jt_131130_16x9_992_1.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 279

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Chalk it up to fog of war people.

I dont think its fair to blame Miller, Lanier, or anyone else. Nobody had thought this would happen, and DC has no experience with freedom.

So how many gallons of blood ran today, btw. Oh yeah, none.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I stand by my statement that a 90 stay is a good thing, and the fact that Alan Gura so readily agreed to DC's request reinforces that view in my opinion.

DC has been down this road before, and lost in Heller. They can lose again, and they know that. They may be biased ideologues, but they're not stupid.

Right now they're facing a federal court order that to keep, and now to bear arms, is unconstitutional. That same order has language that seems to preclude May Issue, since self defense was cited as a reason to bear (hence they can't use a Maryland G&S structure). Unless they act legislatively they may be looking at Constitutional Carry for handguns - open or concealed. For one day, on Monday, that's exactly what they had in the city. The horror...

They might not want to roll that dice, having been down that road before, and lost. Instead, they may want to be captains of their own destiny. If they pass a Shall Issue permit system at least they can, within limits, specify the time, manner, and place. They can try to put in big training requirements, costly fees, fingerprinting, background checks, photo IDs, all of the silly hoops they put in place for home ownership, and more. They can deny reciprocity. They can do all of that, and more.

Gura could easily be giving them leash to do that, knowing that in the end: a) he can litigate if the restrictions are too onerous, and b) the bottom line will be a Shall Issue permit system will be in place. That's a win in anyone's book, vs. the absolute carry prohibition that now exists.

That's the dilemma that now faces the DC City Council. Roll the dice, lose it all, and face Constitutional Carry, or try to make lemonade out of lemons. They only have 90 days to get their house in order.

Yes, they can stall, do nothing, and appeal. But if you look at it from their side, that's a risky strategy that the SAF has boxed them into facing. They may well choose the lesser of two evils (from their perspective) and pass carry legislation that at least they can control.

If I'm wrong (and assuming this is what Gura is thinking (admittedly speculation on my part)) well no big loss other than a 90 day delay. Given how long DC has been denying Constitutional rights to its citizens, and how slowly the wheels of justice turn in the best of circumstances, a 90 day gamble is of little consequence. And Gura said he'd oppose anything longer.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    He might grant it on the mere basis that Gura does not oppose it.

It will be.

And, this will drag on for years and then be overturned.

It's not battered gun owner syndrome, just the way things usually go...:sad20:

Yeah...or it gets to SCOTUS and we lose. Then we're screwed for life I guess.

But hey I guess I shouldn't be such a downer. A win is better than a loss.

Good news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom