• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I don't know if the laws have changed since then, but in 1991 you could not carry a loaded firearm of any type in a vehicle.

According to ATF, that's still the case (nationwide).

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    When I was younger, probably around 1991, I was in the back of a van of a friend of a friend with my friend and a bunch of guys he knew but I didn't. One of them had a .22 rifle and was taking shots at signs and stuff as we drove. Long story short, we got nailed by the cops and I got charged with, among other things, possessing a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

Since I was stuck as a passenger and everyone said in their statements that I didn't participate my charges were placed on STET and then expunged a year later. But I was charged with possession of a loaded firearm in a vehicle for having a loaded .22 rifle in the van.

I don't know if the laws have changed since then, but in 1991 you could not carry a loaded firearm of any type in a vehicle.

Do you happen to know what statute you were charged under?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    MD hunting law is a statewide law that applies to all, hunting or not...

Rifles and shotguns may be transported in a vehicle for any reason.
    But, due to Maryland's conservation/hunting laws, the weapons must be unloaded and
    secured in commercial cases or gun racks regardless of whether one has a permit.
    Maryland's preemption statute provides uniformity for most gun laws
    throughout the state. But localities may still regulate the discharge of firearms
    within their limits and the carry of firearms within 100 yards of schools, parks,
    churches, public buildings, and places of public assembly. A recently enacted self-
    defense law provides homeowners with civil immunity from damages sustained by
    unlawful intruders against whom the homeowner employs deadly force.

From the Hunting and Trapping Guide...

It is unlawful to:

Have a loaded firearm in, on, or leaning against any vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine or a muzzleloader ready to fire.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    Basically a person can keep an unloaded rifle in a car or shotgun. I might be inclined to do that on occasion ....

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Natural Resources Article 10-410(c)(1): " A person may not shoot at any species of wildlife from an automobile or other vehicle or, except as provided in § 4-203(b) of the Criminal Law Article and Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article, possess in or on an automobile or other vehicle a loaded handgun or shotgun, or a rifle containing any ammunition in the magazine or chamber."

Misdemeanor w/ fine up to $1500 IIRC

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom