• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    Any one know if or where I can get information on the # of Guns purchased per Zipcode in Maryland, or for a specific county? Just wanted to do some research. Thanks.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You might be able to do a PIA request. I would bet the State has something to that effect that they compile.

ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    Im not looking at individual purchasers, just a # of guns purchased in a given zipcode. It would be interesting to compare that to crime statistics in the same zipcode. I work with maps every day, just intereested in doing a little spatial analysis.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I applaud anyone's interest in crunching the numbers. The anti's lie with misleading, incomplete, and irrelevant statistics that sound impressive.

It's time we take to the stats and speak truth to the lies. The NRA should lead on this. The NRA could probably generate a helpful list of the gross number of members (without identifying them) per zip code, or by other geography like county or election district, if it was willing to divulge it -- and it probably isn't.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that the zips with the highest "gun crime" per capita also are among those with the lowest NRA membership per capita. And vice-versa.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I believe Maryland has the data. Its illegal in MD to share specific names or addresses though

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    I applaud anyone's interest in crunching the numbers. The anti's lie with misleading, incomplete, and irrelevant statistics that sound impressive.

It's time we take to the stats and speak truth to the lies. The NRA should lead on this. The NRA could probably generate a helpful list of the gross number of members (without identifying them) per zip code, or by other geography like county or election district, if it was willing to divulge it -- and it probably isn't.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that the zips with the highest "gun crime" per capita also are among those with the lowest NRA membership per capita. And vice-versa.

I would love to compare gun crimes, as well as other crimes per zipcode to # of legal gun purchases. I bet it would be pretty obvious that there is a correlation. If I had the stats, I could even throw it up on a map for an obvious display. Now, if I could only get those stats.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You might want to contact a friendly legislator as this might be something they would be interested in. They could probably get the data if it exists and might be willing to have one of their "volunteers" (you for example) do the work to crunch the numbers and compile the data. A map showing that data would be a strong argument in hearings and might convince some people on the edge. It might also be interesting to break it down by election district.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Yep, OweMalley was boasting about that a year or so ago

One often undiscussed aspect of last year was the passing of a law that removes gun owner information from the realm of PIA, this avoiding an incident like NY.

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    Im not looking at individual purchasers, just a # of guns purchased in a given zipcode. It would be interesting to compare that to crime statistics in the same zipcode. I work with maps every day, just intereested in doing a little spatial analysis.
    You've probably already thought of this, but I'm still going to run the risk of boring you.

A spatial analysis of ownership at a moment in time won't establish causality because some crime is averted by gun ownership and gun ownership increases in response to crime. So, simple analyses can't produce unbiased estimates of how gun ownership affects crime or how crime affects gun ownership.

OTOH, a longitudinal study could be really useful if one uses exogenous variation in gun ownership or crime. For example, one could compare crime rates in suburban Maryland to crime rates in NoVA both before and after Maryland's recent law change, so that NoVA zips are the control group and Maryland zips are the treatment group. If the law change reduces gun ownership, we would then be in a position to observe responses in crime rates. Similarly, one could study causality in the other direction using exogenous increases in crime rates (caused by such actions as weakened sentencing laws).

I don't think the NRA is well positioned to conduct such as study for the same reason that "Mothers Against Gun whatever" aren't: they will not be taken as an uprejudiced source of information.

The National Academy of Science is much better in this sense, and they recently released a report Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence. It emphasizes a public health approach that makes me a little nervous, but when they write "Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was “used” by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies" gun control advocates must take this as an objective statement of fact whether they like it or not.

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    One more thing: a recent article by Mark Gius in Applied Economic Letters finds that states with restrictions on CCW have higher homicide rates. Although some commentors have groused about having to pay for the article, the publisher is actually making it available for free right here:
    An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates . One note: I have some questions about the quality of analysis so people should take this information *** grano salis.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    You could request a PIA for 77r data by zipcode. Just ask for a breakdown of how many 77rs they divided up by applicant zipcode.

Although, MSP seems like an extreme soup sandwich operation, so who knows where that data is stored/kept and or how good the parity is.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    While it does seem like an interesting project, I would think the data doesn't actually conclude anything. I would venture to guess that a significant portion of the guns are purchased outside the City, and would also guess that the City has the most crime.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Interesting to see how MD went from about 80,000 checks in 2007 to 231,000 in 2013. We were under 100K checks until the Second Coming of Obama, then things started leaping upward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom