• ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Just Got A Response to My Letter.

It's a canned response, but a reponse none the less:

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. I'm grateful for your thoughts and for the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, in October 2009, under the direction of President Obama, the U.S. voted to participate in the negotiation of United Nations Arms Trade Treaty in the United Nations General Assembly. The purpose of this treaty is to create a set of international standards for the import, export and transfer of conventional arms, and a conference will be held this year to finalize this agreement. As the process currently stands, I am concerned that the Arms Trade Treaty poses serious dangers to constitutional rights protected under our Second Amendment.

It is evident to me that certain parts of the treaty challenge our individual freedoms. One clear example is the limitation of the transfer of arms within member states. Additionally, the treaty is also designed to control the transfer of arms from non-state actors, placing the burden of controlling crime on law-abiding citizens instead of on the member states of the U.N. For these reasons, I do not support the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty, and I am encouraging my colleagues to join me in protecting our constitutional rights.

As a member of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, please know that I am following the development of this treaty process closely. I appreciate your opinions, and I look forward to serving the people of Florida.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
    United States Senator

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have voted. I have signed petitions. I, as well as most of all of you on this board are probably on some list of some kind, for some reason. I am sure someone on here has an overdue library book. That said, aside from voting my beliefs, signing petitions, and joining groups of like minded people to keep a certain type of lifestyle accepted by owning forearms, I just don't know what else I can do. I don't have millions to donate, nor any special pull in Congress. It is clear to me that our politicians are in politics for their own gain, not ours. Generally if they say one thing, I believe the opposite. So, what can I do? Stcok up on ammo, clean my legally owned firearms, and wait it out. The rest of my actions depend on theirs..................

Feb 11, 2012
    Eden, MD
    I would rather dump the rest of my guns into the Chesapeake Bay or even hand them out to complete strangers on the street before I would ever turn them over to some tyrannical gun banning government but that's just me.

I will never hand over my guns, they will actually have to pry them from my dead hands and no I am not just saying that. I don't have children to worry about and I will not live in a world where our constitutional rights are not protected and with out firearms there is no constitution. I've seen several posts on this forum where members have said that the majority of us would hand our guns over willingly if forced to do so, well this woman will NOT make it easy.:mad54:

Frankenstein

Mar 18, 2007
    Dundalk
    You need 2/3rds of Congress to ratify this treaty (and any UN treaty if I remember right). Won't happen. There's no congress bypass on this. And it's an international arms trade treaty; not an arms control treaty (neither would work...). Just chill and keep cleaning your guns! Ignore the fear mongering emails about salmonella, killer bees, bird flu, and UN treaties. It all bologna.

I had thought this too but then I heard that when he signs it,it will be enforced until it is brought up in the house or senate. And in order for it to be brought up for ratification Harry Reid has to present it,so as long as it is signed it will be enforced until this happens whether it takes 2 days or 10 years.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I had thought this too but then I heard that when he signs it,it will be enforced until it is brought up in the house or senate. And in order for it to be brought up for ratification Harry Reid has to present it,so as long as it is signed it will be enforced until this happens whether it takes 2 days or 10 years.

:thumbsup:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

I bet you heard that on the internets. Must be true.

Quit listening to the echo chamber, delete any email that contains the phrase "If you are a true American you will send this to everyone you know!", and sit back and try to name three UN efforts that ever worked.

Be vigilant and do not panic.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I will never hand over my guns, they will actually have to pry them from my dead hands and no I am not just saying that. I don't have children to worry about and I will not live in a world where our constitutional rights are not protected and with out firearms there is no constitution. I've seen several posts on this forum where members have said that the majority of us would hand our guns over willingly if forced to do so, well this woman will NOT make it easy.:mad54:

Not the women in my family either. We have discussed this.
    Many of my family will not hand over anything to gov't ..period...

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside

I bet you heard that on the internets. Must be true.

Quit listening to the echo chamber, delete any email that contains the phrase "If you are a true American you will send this to everyone you know!", and sit back and try to name three UN efforts that ever worked.

Be vigilant and do not panic.

http://www.dickmorris.com/how-to-beat-un-gun-control/#more-9286

...... in the absence of Senate disapproval or a renunciation by the president, the United States is bound by the Treaty under the provisions of the Vienna Convention which we have both signed and ratified. Nor will the Second Amendment offer us any protection. The Supremacy Clause in our own Constitution provides that treaties are the “law of the land” akin to a constitutional provision.
    IANAL!

Any legal eagles care to expound????

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    For those who think their Congress must ratify a treaty before this administration can force it on us, I recommend you look up the lawsuit that Alaska filed against the EPA - for instituting a low sulfur fuel requirement for commercial vessels. This is from an UN-RATIFIED treaty. Quit listening to the words of your opponents - judge them by their deeds. If they can force compliance to one treaty that Congress has refused to ratify, then why would you thing they will act differently on another. A Leopard cannot change it's spots!

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    For those who think their Congress must ratify a treaty before this administration can force it on us, I recommend you look up the lawsuit that Alaska filed against the EPA - for instituting a low sulfur fuel requirement for commercial vessels. This is from an UN-RATIFIED treaty. Quit listening to the words of your opponents - judge them by their deeds. If they can force compliance to one treaty that Congress has refused to ratify, then why would you thing they will act differently on another. A Leopard cannot change it's spots!

Ratification by enforcement? :shocked3:

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD

100% Correct, and this is not the first time....

EDIT For those who have the time... http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2517&context=faculty_scholarship

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom