• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Gents,

I got a line on a Browning A-bolt shotgun for what I think is a good price. With a rifle trade I can get it for about $300. It is the older 1997 issue but near pristine condition. Is it worth buying? I have been wanting a real slug gun for a long time and I hear they shoot well. What do you think?

Vic

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Depends on what you want in a slug gun...

I think the A-bolt is a fine slug gun and by far the most handsome factory slug gun ever made. I know it has been reissued, and that could probably hurt the values of the original model. I think it's overly expensive in terms of value and performance for the dollar, but most good guns are expensive and it may not be all about value to you. Performance wise, it has definitely been eclipsed by the Savage 220F imo. Accutrigger, superior ballistics, less recoil, less drop and lethal accuracy out to 200+ yards and you would have money left over for a quality scope(VX-3,Conquest), EGW ring setup and lots of Fed Premium 209xt1 slugs and still have paid less probably. I also would be worried about the wood and scratches on the metal too much to enjoy the experience of hunting with it since it's in pristine condition, but you may not be. If you buy the A-Bolt, I am sure you would be happy with it, I know I would be..

Simplest way to put it....Range Queen = A-Bolt and Woods/Hunting Gun = Savage 220F

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Sorry, should have provided more information up front. It is the stalker version of the gun with a composite stock, comes with 2 extra mags and scope rings. Can get it for $650. I have been wanting to sell my Browning BLR in .308. I think they go about $500. He is offering $450 for trade. So my out of pocket will be less than $300. I think it is a good deal. Just wondering.

I think I have read that the recoil pad sucks. So might put a Limbsaver on it. I have also heard it shoots premium slugs pretty well, 2" groups at 100 yards. Any suggestions about today's slugs? Most of the write ups are 10 years old and slugs have changed a lot since then.

I first asked about the 220F and found out about this. Have a friend that loves his 220 but says he does have some issues with it. Maybe he got one of the early models that had feed issues. Says the stock is plinky too.

I thought for the price above and that it would probably hold its value too. Just tired of shooting shotguns with slug barrels. Since I hunt mostly in slug only areas wanted something better. Thought this might fit the bill.

Vic

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    more info is good...

I don't know if you have better hunting rifles or just dislike the BLR, but I would'nt trade away a BLR, especially in .308 for $450 if it shoots well...The A-Bolt may shoot into 2", but what if it does'nt? A 220f will easily shoot inside of 1.25 in or better with at least 3 different kinds of ammo with way less recoil and has the power to kill deer dead out to 200+ yards...12 gauge slug guns kick way harder than necessary and that makes it hard to become proficient with (flinches, scope eye etc.) Recoil pads will help but not as much as using a 20ga and they don't have the range of the 20 gauge either.
    I shot a nice heavy doe at about 30 yards with my 220f and she ran 30 yards and dropped with a double lung shot. If the A-Bolt was the nice blued version with the walnut stock for $650, I would say go for it..You could keep the BLR and purchase a H&R Slug Hunter in 20 gauge for the price of the A-Bolt..Or you could sell the BLR and buy the 220 F plus a decent scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom