• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Ever since Ruger pooched my Mini-30 barrel and I decided to spend the money to re-barrel it, I was split between 6.8 and .224 - I think I would have better results with the Valkyrie. Gotta be 1:7 though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ever since Ruger pooched my Mini-30 barrel and I decided to spend the money to re-barrel it, I was split between 6.8 and .224 - I think I would have better results with the Valkyrie. Gotta be 1:7 though.

What are you looking for? .224V is very much a long range target round. Ruger Mini platform is not a platform that is easy to develop high levels of accuracy on. ID long range is going to be difficult.

I’d go 6.8SPC. If you were choosing between the two.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    What are you looking for? .224V is very much a long range target round. Ruger Mini platform is not a platform that is easy to develop high levels of accuracy on. ID long range is going to be difficult.

I’d go 6.8SPC. If you were choosing between the two.

I want it to be deer capable and I would likely load heavier rounds than Federal offers, hence the need for a 1:7 barrel. Otherwise it would be a medium range varmint hunter or longer range fun gun. If I send it to Accuracy Systems, it's gonna cost a butt ton of money, but they do a lot of work on it and with the 18" barrel they guarantee a sub 1.5MOA weapon.

Looking at the .850 barrel with adjustable gas block in the Arch Angel Precision stock that will be triple pin bedded. They also do some other machine work and a trigger job.

Using Federal's own ballistics calculator, the two cartridges are near neck and neck out to 250-300 yards but after that the Valkyrie starts pulling away.

I have a .223 Wylde, 6.5 Grendel and a .358 Yeti in AR as well as .277 Wolverine, .243 and 6.5CM bolt guns (et. al.). So either cartridge would fit a niche I really already have covered. I just think the Valkyrie would be useful in more situations and distances than the 6.8SPC.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I want it to be deer capable and I would likely load heavier rounds than Federal offers, hence the need for a 1:7 barrel. Otherwise it would be a medium range varmint hunter or longer range fun gun. If I send it to Accuracy Systems, it's gonna cost a butt ton of money, but they do a lot of work on it and with the 18" barrel they guarantee a sub 1.5MOA weapon.

Looking at the .850 barrel with adjustable gas block in the Arch Angel Precision stock that will be triple pin bedded. They also do some other machine work and a trigger job.

Using Federal's own ballistics calculator, the two cartridges are near neck and neck out to 250-300 yards but after that the Valkyrie starts pulling away.

I have a .223 Wylde, 6.5 Grendel and a .358 Yeti in AR as well as .277 Wolverine, .243 and 6.5CM bolt guns (et. al.). So either cartridge would fit a niche I really already have covered. I just think the Valkyrie would be useful in more situations and distances than the 6.8SPC.

Are you comfortable using .223 Remington against deer? Because if no, .224V isn’t particularly better. Surejt has much higher sectional density, but wound cavity size and shock aren’t particularly different. You are just likely to get a longer wound channel. Which only really matters on quartering shots as most good 75gr .223 soft points are capable of through and through on typical maryland sized deer after penetrating a shoulder (maybe not both shoulders) from a direct broadside hit.

I’d personally only be comfortable with .223 within about 60 or 70yds. Maybe 100 or so if I had good support and the deer wasn’t moving. Less the energy of longer distance shots and more how critical shot placement is with a smaller caliber bullet. IMHO .224V doesn’t solve that.

That doesn’t mean it can’t do the job against a small elk at 200yds...but I don’t want “it’ll probably be lethal, maybe after a bit if the shot isn’t perfect”.

Just my 2 cents. It sounds like you’ve got a ton covered already, but IMHO .224V really wants a highly accurate platform and used at longer ranges. Otherwise at short ranges it is an expensive .223. As a varmiter, same deal on extremely accurate. If I am shooting ground hogs I’d want 1MOA accuracy or better if I am trying to pop them at 300yds. Flat shooting helps with that of course (and I wouldn’t use 6.8SPC as a varmiter).

I guess I am a bit prejudice against the mini 14 as I’ve never seen a factory one manage better than about 2MOA. Even the newer “we fixed our issues” ones. But then again, with work done, maybe it is quite capable of 1MOA or better.

Just my thoughts. Worth exactly what you paid for them.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Are you comfortable using .223 Remington against deer? Because if no, .224V isn’t particularly better. Surejt has much higher sectional density, but wound cavity size and shock aren’t particularly different. You are just likely to get a longer wound channel. Which only really matters on quartering shots as most good 75gr .223 soft points are capable of through and through on typical maryland sized deer after penetrating a shoulder (maybe not both shoulders) from a direct broadside hit.

I’d personally only be comfortable with .223 within about 60 or 70yds. Maybe 100 or so if I had good support and the deer wasn’t moving. Less the energy of longer distance shots and more how critical shot placement is with a smaller caliber bullet. IMHO .224V doesn’t solve that.

That doesn’t mean it can’t do the job against a small elk at 200yds...but I don’t want “it’ll probably be lethal, maybe after a bit if the shot isn’t perfect”.

Just my 2 cents. It sounds like you’ve got a ton covered already, but IMHO .224V really wants a highly accurate platform and used at longer ranges. Otherwise at short ranges it is an expensive .223. As a varmiter, same deal on extremely accurate. If I am shooting ground hogs I’d want 1MOA accuracy or better if I am trying to pop them at 300yds. Flat shooting helps with that of course (and I wouldn’t use 6.8SPC as a varmiter).

I guess I am a bit prejudice against the mini 14 as I’ve never seen a factory one manage better than about 2MOA. Even the newer “we fixed our issues” ones. But then again, with work done, maybe it is quite capable of 1MOA or better.

Just my thoughts. Worth exactly what you paid for them.

I take neck shots. So, yeah, .223 is good. It would depend on my accuracy at range to depend where I feel comfortable attempting a shot on a whitetail. As I said, I have lots of other options.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I am also toying with the idea of an AR based .224 Valkyrie build. Strictly a target/bench rifle, for 100 to 600 yards, with high quality, tuned handloads. (Pleeze no talking up the 6.5 Grendel as I am not interested.) I like low recoiling rifles, will not use a muzzle brake, and my two RRA .223 Wylde Varmint models are very precise shooting guns.

The Valkyrie seems to have no significant advantage over the .223 Wylde's unless/until 90gr.+ bullets are loaded. Problem is, there is so much poor/useless information out there on the precision potential of rifles with this chambering that I am not sure this cartridge can be loaded to an acceptable (to me) level of precision. Video's of Valkyries are virtually all done with commercial ammo, are obsessed with chronograph values, or are done shooting at long distances that results can only be considered "weather reports". Anybody and everybody seem to be making and posting (mostly useless) videos.

Has anyone that actually has a Valkyrie with a decent (heavy) barrel been working up handloads? And if so, what have you been able to achieve at 100 yards from a bench? (I know this is not a 100 yard cartridge, but load development should be done first at shorter distances to attenuate wind effects, especially with a .224.) Anybody have a Valkyrie that is seriously accurate, or one that is proving to be disappointing, even with handloads? Thanks.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am also toying with the idea of an AR based .224 Valkyrie build. Strictly a target/bench rifle, for 100 to 600 yards, with high quality, tuned handloads. (Pleeze no talking up the 6.5 Grendel as I am not interested.) I like low recoiling rifles, will not use a muzzle brake, and my two RRA .223 Wylde Varmint models are very precise shooting guns.

The Valkyrie seems to have no significant advantage over the .223 Wylde's unless/until 90gr.+ bullets are loaded. Problem is, there is so much poor/useless information out there on the precision potential of rifles with this chambering that I am not sure this cartridge can be loaded to an acceptable (to me) level of precision. Video's of Valkyries are virtually all done with commercial ammo, are obsessed with chronograph values, or are done shooting at long distances that results can only be considered "weather reports". Anybody and everybody seem to be making and posting (mostly useless) videos.

Has anyone that actually has a Valkyrie with a decent (heavy) barrel been working up handloads? And if so, what have you been able to achieve at 100 yards from a bench? (I know this is not a 100 yard cartridge, but load development should be done first at shorter distances to attenuate wind effects, especially with a .224.) Anybody have a Valkyrie that is seriously accurate, or one that is proving to be disappointing, even with handloads? Thanks.

If you build the rifle and lap the upper receiver face, that will help somewhat with accuracy. The other side of that coin is that a 223/556 can be stupid accurate with the right handloads, a lapped upper, bedded barrel, and a free floated handguard.

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Using some of the highest BC bullets available for each caliber:

Grendel:
    Sierra 130 gr TMK

BC
    .518 @ 2200 fps and above
    .535 between 1625 fps and 2200 fps
    .495 @ 1625 fps and below

Per Sierra's own load data, 2450 FPS is a reasonable max.

Muzzle: 2450 fps, 1750 ft-lbs
    100 yd: 2287 fps, 1510 ft-lbs
    500 yd: 1977 fps, 1128 ft-lbs (-13.7 MOA drop, 4.2 MOA wind drift)
    1000 yd: 1140 fps, 375 ft-lbs (-44 MOA drop, 10.2 MOA wind drift)

Valkyrie
    Sierra 95 gr MK

BC
    .600 @ 1600 fps and above
    .556 between 1440 and 1600 fps
    .506 @ 1400 fps and below

Per Sierra's own load data, 2600 FPS is a reasonable max.

Muzzle: 2600 fps, 1431 ft-lbs
    100 yd: 2454 fps, 1270 ft-lbs
    500 yd: 1901 fps, 762 ft-lbs (-11.4 MOA drop, 3.3 MOA wind drift)
    1000 yd: 1319 fps, 367 ft-lbs (-35 MOA drop, 7.9 MOA wind drift)

Valkyrie has slightly better ballistics, but Grendel has a significant energy advantage inside of 500 yds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom