Wear and carry for certified instructors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Certified Instructor = wear and carry? Restricted permit? If non-restricted, where do I sign up for training?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Thanks for joining us!

Instructors do not automatically get permits.

MSP will request...
    -All related credentials (active training certs).
    -Proof of instruction
    Range receipts, student rosters, etc...
    -Bank records, including tax forms and proof of deposits

The permit if issued, will be restricted to being valid while conducting business as an instructor (or owner of whatever your company is).

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    If you are a MSP apporved Maryland handgun instructor, you will be exempt from training. You are the one who TEACHES the class so you don't have to TAKE it.

Although given the geniuses in the MD General Assembly, FSA 2019 could very well require instructors to take the training while they are conducting a training class! :sad20:

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Although given the geniuses in the MD General Assembly, FSA 2019 could very well require instructors to take the training while they are conducting a training class! :sad20:
    I think you need new tea leaves. The GA is not informed nor intelligent.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    No, being an instructor does not get you a permit. It may get your foot in the door, but a totality of circumstance IMO is the best bet.

There is no uniform way permits are not disapproved. Some have provided great deal of information, others have provided little. Same situation has resulted in different outcomes.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Certified Instructor = wear and carry? Restricted permit? If non-restricted, where do I sign up for training?

Are you talking about getting training to become an instructor? I got my instructor credentials from Maryland because I'm an NRA certified pistol instructor. DC-W is 100% right about how an instructor gets a W&C. That's exactly what I had to present when I got mine.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    VCDL just passed this along, if you’re interested in training to become an instructor:

From Board member Patricia Webb:

While we have had a HUGE response to our first ITC (Instructor Training Course) we have had a lessor response from those making deposits to hold their space.

YOU MUST CONTACT MICHAEL DIRECTLY AND HE MUST RECEIVE YOUR DEPOSIT in order to guarantee your space.

The NRA has been receiving phone calls from people who heard about this course, so if you want to take advantage of this spectacular deal please act quickly. We are required to post this to the general public, and that will happen soon!

COURSE DATE: Wednesday/Thursday, August 22-23
    COURSE LOCATION: NRA Range, Fairfax, VA
    COST: $150.00 to VCDL Members. If you don't know your member number we can look it up for you. If you don't receive the quarterly paper copy of The Defender then you are probably not a member. You can sign up online at vcdl.org/join

TO SIGN UP: Email Michael at HighlandTactical@outlook.com ***AND COPY ME*** (pat.webb@vcdl.org) so that I have a record please

iN THE SUBJECT LINE: Put "8/22-23 Instructor Training Course"

IN THE BODY OF EMAIL; Include the following:

Your Name
    Your Address
    Your Phone
    Your Email
    Your VCDL Number (we can look up if you can't find it)

PREREQUISITES:

Proficiency with handguns
    Completion of the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor lead course (not the online blended course)
    Ability to communicate effectively and follow directions

Full course requirements have been sent out in earlier emails. If you missed them you can go to the NRA website and find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom