• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Apologies if this is too noob, but as my collections grow I run up against it more often.

I have different guns for different distances and they range from being zeroed at 100, 200, 400 yards. Inevitably I pick one up to shoot after several months and can’t recall it’s zero range. Does this just flag me as keeping poor DOPE records or is there a common way people keep track of their zero range?

I finally grabbed my 1000yd - 1mile scope and realizing it’ll have to be zeroed at yet another range.

https://aaoptics.com/REFURBISHED-GOLDEN-EAGLE-HD-15-60X52-RIFLESCOPE-ECR-1-MOA_p_522.html

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I think it depends partially on what you are shooting. I would zero my rifle at 100 or 200 depending on the velocity of the cartridge. This way your zero doesn't have any windage factored in.

I generally zero my scope out or set the parallax to the range I have dialed to before putting the rifle away. It's best to zero it out though so you don't have any doubts. You can save what distance your zero is in your ballistic calculators. Otherwise, blue painter's tape with the info on it can be placed on the stock while it's in storage

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I make up a label with zero's on it. Attach to either the side of the stock or on top of the front bell of the scope. If they need to be protected from the elements, cover with scotch tape. Easy and cheap.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Why wouldn’t you just zero them all the same (at 100 yds or distance of your choosing) and then use a ballistics calculator to dial up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Precision stuff gets zero’ at 100 that way closer or farther is dialing up. Close range stuff gets zero’d at 200 so everything is minute of head from point blank to a little over 200. For the precision stuff, always dial back to 100 before leaving the bench/switching rifles. Hard lesson learned during a match.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I make up a label with zero's on it. Attach to either the side of the stock or on top of the front bell of the scope. If they need to be protected from the elements, cover with scotch tape. Easy and cheap.
    I do this, but only on guns with BDC optics. Rifles, I zero 2'' high at 100 yds. Bolt shotgun and muzzle loaders are zeroed 1" high. I don't shoot competitively. My guns are set up for hunting.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I hang a key tag on each rifle with the range, ammo and whether or not it's zeroed with a suppressor. Not very sophisticated, but it works for me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Surprised more people don't have this issue. I used to use a spreadsheet, but I generally use Strelok Pro now, now that I am a little more fastidious about collecting chrono data.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Precision rifles are zeroed at 100 yards.

Practical rifles are zeroed for maximum point blank range.

Done.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Precision rifles are zeroed at 100 yards.

Practical rifles are zeroed for maximum point blank range.

Done.

So when I’m shooting 1mile and need 70moa holdover, it’s really spinning the turret around 7 times and back again when finished ?

Just seems like extra effort but I’ll give it a try a few times and see if it sticks

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    81YZ%2Bvne8lL._AC_SX355_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B013DG2FNW

I'm in the dial up camp, but you can just label your scopes.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    For most of the rifles I own with open /iron sights anything 2600 fps or over gets zeroed @200
    Slower rifles say 22oo to 2400 @100 22 rimfire at 50 yds. I make notes in small binders and plot shots for rifles Im enjoying at the time or before I put them away.

All my long action hunting rifles that have scopes on them I zero at 300. Lever guns with slow cartridges or that use blunt or flat bullets at 100 whether they have a scope on them or not.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So when I’m shooting 1mile and need 70moa holdover, it’s really spinning the turret around 7 times and back again when finished ?

Just seems like extra effort but I’ll give it a try a few times and see if it sticks

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

Well how many turns less does zeroing at 200 do?

Also, if you always shoot a long ranges, you can reset to your 1000 yard setting instead of going all the way back to zero. And at least some scopes indicate how many turns you are.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Here is what I would do...

#1. There are only a few ranges in Merry Land that ranges that are over 100 YARDS, so that limits things a LOT...

#2. Buy a small note book & make a separate page for each rifle. For each rifle, write the Ammo Manufacturer, Bullet Weight, Muzzle Velocity & Distance Zeroed for each rifle. Put the note book with the stuff you always take to the range regardless of which rifle you are shooting...

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I just zero them and use my drop chart accordingly. If I'm shooting at 1,000 yards, I dial up to 1,000 yards. If I'm shooting at 800 yards, I dial to 800 yards. It shouldn't really matter what your zero is, since you'll need to use your drop chart that is specific to each gun anyway.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I zero a couple different ways, but am pretty consistent in what type of firearm is zeroed in which way. ARs and most everything with 1x or non BDC reticles are zeroed to 50yds, BDC reticles are zeroed to whatever they are calibrated for, usually 50 or 100. For longer range stuff without BDCs, i'll set the 0 stop at either 100yd zero or 100+20MOA either one will be listed on the dope card with the rifle,, but easy enough to just leave it at whatever range I dialed it in for with a zero stop.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I zero a couple different ways, but am pretty consistent in what type of firearm is zeroed in which way. ARs and most everything with 1x or non BDC reticles are zeroed to 50yds, BDC reticles are zeroed to whatever they are calibrated for, usually 50 or 100. For longer range stuff without BDCs, i'll set the 0 stop at either 100yd zero or 100+20MOA either one will be listed on the dope card with the rifle,, but easy enough to just leave it at whatever range I dialed it in for with a zero stop.

Why 50 yards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom