• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    It sure would be nice to be able to pay a $20 transaction fee in VA or MD vs DC's $125.

Mance would certainly make things a lot better in this regard for handguns, but beyond the cost, going down to MPD over and over is still a major inconvenience / infringement. That is their plan of course, but ironically, as with many policies pushed by Dems, the people most negatively impacted are the same people the Dems purport to represent and protect. A FOID scheme, while still an infringement, would make things a lot better than the register every firearm in person approach. Hopefully NY Pistol gives SAF a second crack at these and a lot of other infringements across the nation.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    This could get dicey for DC. Legally DC has 60 days to make an approval/denial or defer to an investigation with good cause.

DC code says:
    § 7–2502.07. Issuance of registration certificate; time period; corrections.

(b) The Chief shall approve or deny an application for a registration certificate within a 60-day period beginning on the date the Chief receives the application, unless good cause is shown..."

The full text is here: https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/titles/7/chapters/25/

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Just registered something today. Will update how long the new process takes.

Let us know! I was told the “new” background check is taking 1-2 weeks. Will be interesting if that holds true.

I suspect that they are now resubmitting fingerprints for every transfer vs. just doing a name-based check for subsequent transfers. Why? No idea aside from purposeful bottlenecking.

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020
    Let us know! I was told the “new” background check is taking 1-2 weeks. Will be interesting if that holds true.

I suspect that they are now resubmitting fingerprints for every transfer vs. just doing a name-based check for subsequent transfers. Why? No idea aside from purposeful bottlenecking.

Here's my timeline for my recent add on
    Ordered gun- 5/7
    MPD received gun- 5/12
    Appointment for registration- 5/14
    Registration completed- either 5/22 or 5/26
    Appointment for pickup- 6/3

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Here's my timeline for my recent add on
    Ordered gun- 5/7
    MPD received gun- 5/12
    Appointment for registration- 5/14
    Registration completed- either 5/22 or 5/26
    Appointment for pickup- 6/3

Ungh so that timeframe for me looks like

5/8 order gun
    MPD received gun 5/20
    Appointment for registration 6/24

So I’m looking at July 3 for registration completed and July 10 for pickup. And that’s the best case scenario. Two months after purchase.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    My timeline:
    5/1 ordered pistol
    5/8 MPD receives it
    5/14 order another pistol
    5/19 MPD calls to setup appointment for 1st pistol. Set that up for 6/11. Tell them another one is coming.
    5/20 MPD receives 2nd pistol
    6/7 MPD calls to setup appointment for 2nd pistol. I miss call. Call and leave message that I already have 6/11 appointment.
    6/10 MPD calls again to setup appointment for 2nd pistol. I catch the call and let them know I've left them messages that I already have an appointment for 6/11.

6/11
    Appointment today took an hour.

(Edited)

I was told early on they were working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week to deal with the demand.
    But today the numbers I were told were not that great. First month they were FLL they did like 150 transfers or so. 2nd month was maybe 65. Not exact numbers but in the general area.

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Got called today 6/23.

First appointment available is Friday 6/26 to pay FFL fee and take possession of firearms.

For the one that didn't come with 10 round mags have to bring a magazine.

So give or take a few days -- it will be almost two months from ordering to taking possession.

Edit:

They didn't redo my prints on my first visit.

Maybe they do them this next visit?

This is all just adding on to my existing stuff so maybe it would be different for new people?

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Got called today 6/23.

First appointment available is Friday 6/26 to pay FFL fee and take possession of firearms.

For the one that didn't come with 10 round mags have to bring a magazine.

So give or take a few days -- it will be almost two months from ordering to taking possession.

Edit:

They didn't redo my prints on my first visit.

Maybe they do them this next visit?

This is all just adding on to my existing stuff so maybe it would be different for new people?

Dammit. My ffl appt is today so I’m not looking at taking possession for another two weeks? Ungh what a clusterf

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Dammit. My ffl appt is today so I’m not looking at taking possession for another two weeks? Ungh what a clusterf

I was rereading some of the DC stuff and this really jumped out at me:

"Under DC law, the Chief of Police must approve or deny an application for a registration certificate within a 60-day period beginning on the date the Chief receives the application, unless good cause is shown, including nonreceipt of information from sources outside the District government; provided, that in the case of an application to register a firearm validly registered under prior regulations, the Chief shall have 365 days after the receipt of such application to approve or deny such application."

So 60 day minimum by law that can be extended to one year if they want to.
    I think even NJ isn't that bad -- but close.

IANAL so maybe I am misreading the 365 day part.

I shudder to think what will happen if DC gets statehood -- they will try to be the #1 worst place for 2A.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    I was rereading some of the DC stuff and this really jumped out at me:

"Under DC law, the Chief of Police must approve or deny an application for a registration certificate within a 60-day period beginning on the date the Chief receives the application, unless good cause is shown, including nonreceipt of information from sources outside the District government; provided, that in the case of an application to register a firearm validly registered under prior regulations, the Chief shall have 365 days after the receipt of such application to approve or deny such application."

So 60 day minimum by law that can be extended to one year if they want to.
    I think even NJ isn't that bad -- but close.

IANAL so maybe I am misreading the 365 day part.

I shudder to think what will happen if DC gets statehood -- they will try to be the #1 worst place for 2A.

Yeah if they take 60 days, that will be longer than it took for me to get an interim security clearance 15 years ago haha.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Just got back. That was a model of inefficiency. If it's your first firearm, expect an and hour and fouty five minutes. Also don't bother getting there early. You'll just wait in the lobby until they're ready for you.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Just got back. That was a model of inefficiency. If it's your first firearm, expect an and hour and fouty five minutes. Also don't bother getting there early. You'll just wait in the lobby until they're ready for you.

It’s a feature, not a bug.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Look on the bright side: next time 1st interview should only take an hour lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There was supposed to be an interview? Literally 90 percent of my time was just waiting. Waiting to go fill out the paperwork that I did in 1 minute. Waiting to see the firearm to accept which took 30 seconds, waiting for registration which took 2 minutes, waiting for fingerprints which took 2 minutes.

The most efficient part was paying via the automatic machine.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Well interview I mean filling out the paperwork lol.

DC is not NJ - - yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You only move as whoever they pair you with so if the other person has to go through all the things then you’re stuck... waiting...

fiddler

Jun 25, 2020
    My timeline has been:

Delivered: May 20
    Call for Appointment with FFL/Reg: Jun 7
    FFL/Reg Appointment: Jun 10
    Called registration about status and was notified of approval: Jun 17th
    Call to schedule pickup: Jun 29
    Appointment for pickup: Jun 30

Does anyone know if I can schedule getting my own registration so at least I can place an order for some ammo? Or do I have to wait for the FFL to decided to call me to schedule the pickup?

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    My timeline has been:

Delivered: May 20
    Call for Appointment with FFL/Reg: Jun 7
    FFL/Reg Appointment: Jun 10
    Called registration about status and was notified of approval: Jun 17th
    No appointment for pickup/FFL office won't answer the phone: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does anyone know if I can schedule getting my own registration so at least I can place an order for some ammo? Or do I have to wait for the FFL to decided to call me to schedule the pickup?

I don't think you can schedule your own registration.
    I've gotten through all the times I have called them.
    The officer who was the official FFL did move on to another assignment, maybe that impacted your pickup?

What numbers are you calling because theirs seemed to change recently:
    Firearms Registration Branch
    Contact Phone: (202) 727-4275

FFL:
    Phone: (202) 671-6563

I can also pm you the email address for Lt. Hall who oversees the whole thing.

They didn't make an appointment for you when they told you that you were approved?

fiddler

Jun 25, 2020
    Yeah, that's the number I've been calling for the FFL office.

I was able to get a hold of the FFL office on the 18th, the day after registration had been completed successfully, and they hadn't yet received my registration so they wouldn't schedule a pickup. Just told me they'd call me when they got it, which was fine. That was over a week ago, and I started calling a couple of times over the past couple of days and just keep going to voicemail (which Officer King was joking with me, he never listens to when I was there so that seems pretty useless). I've had paperwork get misplaced with the government more than once and just wanted to make sure I hadn't fallen through the cracks.

Setting things up I corresponded with Lt Hall a bit in making sure I had things in line for what I was purchasing so maybe I'll reach out to him. I appreciate the response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom