• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is how the previous thread on this incident should have gone. :thumbsup:

IBTL

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    He broke the 21' rule. The officer is a friend of mine. He waited too long to shoot, but I'm glad that he survived unharmed.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    He broke the 21' rule. The officer is a friend of mine. He waited too long to shoot, but I'm glad that he survived unharmed.

WTF is going on bro.

Aspen hill homicide
    OIS
    White Oak Homicide

Wasn’t there a Gburg one too? (Homicide)

All within 2 weeks.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

I watched that thinking about how that officer has to carry that around with him forever now, wondering if there was a better way out instead of smoking the guy. Everyone knows there wasn’t but I wouldn’t want to pull the trigger on a mentally deranged person. Well I also wouldn’t want to end my shift with a kitchen knife stuck in my neck.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Photos of when aggressive movement first started, when the first shot happened, and when the threat stopped being a threat 5 shots later. The officer was calm, clear, and immediately stopped firing when the threat stopped being a threat. It's definitely a good real world example of how much distance an armed threat can cover before they respond to defensive gunshots. I'm glad the officer was not physically harmed and wish his mental health recovery well.

P.S.- Think of what this movement looks like inside your house. Next think of if your hand to hand skills are up to the task to deal with the threat when it gets to you if you are engaged in an indoors use of lethal force.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 13.46.25.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 13.46.25.jpg
      20.1 KB · Views: 629
    • Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 13.46.40.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 13.46.40.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 625
    • Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 13.47.01.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 13.47.01.jpg
      25.7 KB · Views: 633

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Weren’t there two in white oak?
    Domestic I think.

I assumed it was the same one just updated locations if you’re referring to the twitter two different locations.

Sounds like one might be justified as the DA said to release the one “suspect”

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Why did he wait too long? You do know he had the drop on this guy, right?
    The guy did not charge early on. HE gave him time to change his mind. HE played this right.
    Not everyone is anxious to get their first human kill, like many.
    The whole point about taking someone's life, is to go as long as you can before you have to take that life.
    Unless a threat has a gun and is just standing there, unless he raises that gun to you, you need to wait.

So, what did he say to you when you told him that he waited too long?

What is your training and experience in these situations to qualify your statement?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Reading the news at lunch, I thought it was 2 separate incidents in the White Oak area

Yeah i think you’re right.

One appears might be SD though as suspect released for time being.

What’s up with the one thought to be a woman but no confirmed a man or whatever?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Why did he wait too long? You do know he had the drop on this guy, right?

What is your training and experience in these situations to qualify your statement?
    He waited too long because the guy was well within 21 feet when the shooting started. It's not a knock on the Sergeant at all. He clearly shot as an absolute last resort. I'm just grateful that his hesitation (in the hopes the suspect would stop) didn't get my friend hurt or killed.

My training and experience is 18 years as a police officer, 13 of which were in this exact neighborhood. Same training and experience as the Sergeant had. I think he did a phenomenal job handling that scene, talking to the suspect to calm him, moving around to maintain visual, knowing his surroundings and calling out and telling a bystander to go back inside.

My comment about waiting too long wasn't meant to be critical by any means.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    He waited too long because the guy was well within 21 feet when the shooting started. It's not a knock on the Sergeant at all. He clearly shot as an absolute last resort. I'm just grateful that his hesitation (in the hopes the suspect would stop) didn't get my friend hurt or killed.

My training and experience is 18 years as a police officer, 13 of which were in this exact neighborhood. Same training and experience as the Sergeant had. I think he did a phenomenal job handling that scene, talking to the suspect to calm him, moving around to maintain visual, knowing his surroundings and calling out and telling a bystander to go back inside.

My comment about waiting too long wasn't meant to be critical by any means.

He didn't wait too long. What was the negative outcome? Nothing.

If you just stand by "21 feet"; with nothing else nowadays, when you can still add some cool pause, you're probably not helping yourself.

So you would have shot a guy holding a knife who is just standing there? And claim "21 feet"?

You owe the person a little more than that before you take their life. Especially when you have the advantage.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    He probably waited because it was a moving target and in the background was peoples homes. To me it looked like a flawless shooting.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Something like 2 seconds between the guy starting his charge and hitting the dirt. Way too close for comfort.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You owe the person a little more than that before you take their life. Especially when you have the advantage.

You don't owe anything to a guy running at you who's holding a knife.
    He's made up his mind.

I have 34 years experience as an HVAC contractor.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I can't tell distance with the wide angle lens. I just want more videos like this in a string so that the next time the hands up don't shoot crowd says "all he had was a knife" then you can see how a person with a knife can close ALOT of distance in a hurry and why officers need to pull their pistol immediately when they see a threat. That plus all the videos which show people getting tazed and keep moving. God Bless this officer and others like him.

yea and this thread is a dupe alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom