Attachments

• sonykoi.jpg
      sonykoi.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 797

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Since this is in the Outdoor Sports forum, is this a catch and release type of pond? Any minimum size for keepers? :)

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Years ago my neighbor had to put nets on hers to keep the Heron at bay. Then I found the Heron sitting on my pool wall. :rolleyes: He never did find anything to eat in my pool.

Ya I've seen them on a tree branch before. I think because the pond has a lot of branches over it and some black milk crates in the pond for the koi to run to for cover I'm good. knock on wood

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do they freeze up in the cold or do you do something to keep them heated in the winter?

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Do they freeze up in the cold or do you do something to keep them heated in the winter?

if you keep an area at least two feet your ok. mine is But to be safe I use a floating pond heater it goes by ambient temps to turn it on and off. check with southern states or tractor supply for a troth heater they used to be cheaper then a pond supplier. Also depending on what your pond wall is made of you want to get the one with a bump rail on it so that the element does melt anything

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    When the air temp hit 70 a couple weeks ago my pond turned a beautiful emerald green, I've only seen shadows of them since.
    I had unplugged my pump and UV light because the filter clogged when it was near freezing out and i didn't feel like messing with it in those temps. Now I'm trying to get it clear again.

I have a cheap $17 aquarium air pump and a large air stone that I run that keeps the pond from freezing as the water never stops moving. As a bonus it keeps the water well oxygenated during the times i shut the water pump off. I do this any time I am away for a few days. I came home one time to find my waterfall had sprung a leak, my koi were laying on their sides in 2" of water gasping to stay alive. I lost a number of them.

I keep a net on my pond at all times. It keeps out the herons osprey and hawks but not the water snakes. I live less than 1/2 mile from the bay.
    I used to have 2 ponds but took out #2 when a heron ate 23 fish and put 47 holes in the pond liner. :mad54:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Was at Lily Pons near closing. Sitting in our car we watched a Blue Heron get a Koi had to be over a pound. Don't know a thing about the fish, but it was one with multi color. What about raccoons as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom