• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    So it seems the NRA is rolling out a new class called NRA CCW. Class appears to be designed as a modular catch all class for state permit training. But, not sure I'm sold.

As an instructor who has been teaching state permit courses for Maryland, and alsready have the course developed, what benefit does this give me? Why shell out another 400-500 bucks to, of course take the course and then take the instructor portion if I'm already teaching the course for the state?

Not trying to be a downer, but I'm having a hard time seeing why. Where does the personal protection outside the home fit into this and why is this different. The ccw even uses the same books as the basic and PPOTH courses.

Thoughts from other instructors?
    TD

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The course is modular. It allows you to use whatever pieces of it you need to fulfill the needs of your state's CCW requirements. As you stated, it uses a lot from existing classes and a heavy emphasis is placed on drawing from the holster with timings and accuracy on the target.

Personally I think the course is overkill for those of us who have been teaching PPITH/PPOTH. It may become of value if and only if a state adopts the NRA CCW class as the basis for their CCW certification.

Remember, in order to become certified in this you must first take it as a student, pass it, and then take the instructor class from a TC who has been certified to teach the class. From some of the course offerings I am seeing, this could be a costly upgrade to your training credentials.

Just my opinion (which many at NRA Trainer's session at the 2019 NRA Annual Meeting seem to share - based on comments at the session).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom