• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    On another note, does anyone have an Icom Programming cable?

I just bought an Icom IC-2820H for my car.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like my RatShack Pro-97's cable will work fine.

Last edited:

garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    Sent for true ARRL technician book and am looking to get into it. Half-Cocked told me about K-31 and this thread. It is great stuff and thanks to K-31 for the great feedback.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well then, thanks to everyone who submits here. I was looking at making the END FED 6–40 Meter Multiband HF Antenna just for fun. Is this something that can be mounted inside the attic or outside is best.

It's always better to mount outside if you have a choice. First, there is the danger of exposure to those living in the house to EM radiation. Parts of the amateur spectrum are close to the resonant frequency of the human body.

Another consideration is that the antenna is closer to sources of noise inside the house.

garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    It's always better to mount outside if you have a choice. First, there is the danger of exposure to those living in the house to EM radiation. Parts of the amateur spectrum are close to the resonant frequency of the human body.

Another consideration is that the antenna is closer to sources of noise inside the house.
    Home owners association to get past. I will continue to look for a way to conceal an antennae. Thanks. Just got my ARRL technician book. Looking forward to this adventure.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Home owners association to get past. I will continue to look for a way to conceal an antennae.

It's surprisingly hard to see a wire antenna especially if it's mounted high up and you use existing trees/structure for supports. It also helps if the insulation of the wire is black.

Also, there are quite a few disguised antenna designs.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    About a year ago, I bought some tubes from a ham in Olney for an old radio I was restoring. He showed me his setup, including a LF dipole antenna he had strung between the trees in his backyard. He said his HOA didn't allow antennas, but his were almost invisible, so he had never had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    Ive been browsing this thread for a week or two and really want to get into Ham radio. I live in Harford county near Bel Air, are there any upcoming classes/tests in a close distance? Say within an hour drive of Bel Air?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom