• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I wear glasses but hate the over-the-glasses goggles because: a) they feel uncomfortable on my face and b) they open up a larger gap in the seal for the over-the-ear hearing protectors I use. So to date I've just been using my normal everyday glasses as my eye protection while shooting.

However at the last Appleseed my daughter's ejected brass twice struck my glasses, badly scratching one of my lenses. Today I just visited my ophthalmologist and so have the most up to date prescription.

I'd like to get prescription glasses that I can devote just to shooting, perhaps with additional scratch resistant material or coating, however the ones I've looked at so far are not progressive, i.e. I have to pick a single corrective factor. (I'm nearsighted.)

That then creates the question: What distance do I need to have my glasses set to? Of course I know you want to focus on the recital in the scope, but the scope has one or more lenses inside so it isn't the true measured distance between your eye and the end of the scope. I asked my ophthalmologist and he had no idea. For now (in addition to a full prescription for EDC glasses) he gave me a prescription for shooting glasses set to my far corrective distance, but said I could call him back if he needed to adjust that in closer.

Have any of you run up against this problem and if so how did you address the situation? Likewise are any of you experts in the optics of scopes and their internal recital and know the relative distance they are typically set to? Is your eye focusing somewhat close-in (closer to the real measured distance of the scope) or is it set further out (closer but not all the way to the target)?

I realize the answer is likely "it depends" on the specifics of the scope itself, but if there is a broad generalization, or an equation where I can map for example power of the scope to perceived recital distance, that would be great.

Thanks.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I wear trifocals and about 10 years back started using a Zeiss "computer grind" that provided a larger mid-range area that is useful for iron sights and for situations where one cannot look through the center of the lens. This grind provides a lot of useful area at arm's length.

There are a couple threads around here about shooting prescriptions and gun-friendly ophthalmologists.

With regard to scopes, the ocular adjustment at the rear end of the scope is intended to account for variations in eyesight (and/or errors in corrective lenses), so as long as you use the same glasses prescription each time, the scope is a non-issue.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    TYpically, scopes require focus at infinity, basicall normal distance correction.

I get my prescription shooting glasses from Morgan Optical in Orleans, NY. They are shooters and can talk to you about what will work best for you.

I use Randolph Ranger frames, and this combined with Morgans work, puts the main focal center up higher in the glasses to deal with most shooting, which is somewhat head down.

I need reading correction so I got some stick on bifocals, that work well enough for the little bit of close work I have to do while shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom