• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    For those of you who live in Anne Arundel County, there is a bill in front of the County Council that would legalize electronic control devices (stun guns, tasers, etc.) which are currently illegal in our county, other than for police.

Some media articles on it are here:
    http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...cle_f6996612-3430-5b22-a20e-9df36d1434f4.html
    http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...cle_d033b1c5-0b10-55c2-9afb-cfb5ff6e72b2.html
    http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/...an-wants-to-make-tasers-legal-for-all-adults/

One reading of the bill has already happened. I did not know about the bill at that time. Apparently three people spoke against the legalization of this self defense tool, whereas only one person spoke in favor of the bill.

The next and probably final reading is on May 6th at 7PM. They will probably vote on the bill that same night. I plan to be there. I hope other AACO residents will show up as well and express support for this bill. Like CCW, there are pros and cons to carrying such a device, but like CCW, I believe they should be legal and law abiding citizens should have the choice and the right to use all tools available for self defense.

If you want to go, you can start signing up to testify at 6:30 PM. It will be held at the Arundel Center, 44 Calvert Street, Annapolis Maryland - County Council Chambers, 1st Floor.

More details about the Anne Arundel County Council can be found here:
    http://www.aacounty.org/CountyCouncil/generalInformation.cfm#.UXBb3TfLt_8

A full list of councilmen can be found here:
    http://www.aacounty.org/countycouncil/index.cfm#.UXBbzzfLt_8

I encourage you to email, write, or call your representative even prior to the final hearing to express your perspective, in addition to actually showing up during the final hearing.

If you don't know what district you live or who represents you, you can type in your address and find that out by selecting the right links here:
    http://aacoprod.aacounty.org/MyAA/pages/myAA.jsp

And finally, the text of the bill as amended can be found here:
    http://www.aacounty.org/CountyCouncil/Resources/2013/18-13.pdf

I hope to see you on May 6th at 7 PM!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I didn't know these things were controlled on a county by county basis.

I hope the senior citizen who got jumped in Glen Burnie the other night shows up.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    If this were to be legalized, could you carry it in the same manner that you would ccw? Or would have to be in a car or something?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Ugh. POS Maryland liberals are scared of stun guns too?? Since when are non-lethal weapons "too dangerous for citizens?"

You'd think I'd be used to this $#!7 by now....

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    If this were to be legalized, could you carry it in the same manner that you would ccw? Or would have to be in a car or something?

The state allows law-abiding citizens to carry these devices in a concealed manner for the purpose of self defense. Anne Arundel County (and a few other locations) currently outright ban their use and possession since, unlike firearms, the state allows localities to pass more restrictive laws on ECDs. This bill would repeal the AA ban, and revert to the less onerous state laws governing their possession, use and carry:

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-1/4-109/

On the first hearing of the bill (which I missed because I did not know about this) an attempt was made to amend the bill to only apply in the home or at a business. That amendment failed, so concealed carry would remain legal outside the home.

And we also need to express our support of the bill to the new county executive Laura Neuman (who replaced John Leopold) so that she will sign the bill should it pass the county council: http://www.aacounty.org/CountyExec/#.UXVR9jfLt_8

Please show up and testify. And email/call/visit your county councilman and the county executive to express support for this bill before the 6th. This is a mini version of SB 281, sorta.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Bump.

As a reminder the hearing and the vote for legalizing Tasers, stun guns, and other Electronic Control Devices in Anne Arundel County is scheduled for this Monday, May 6th, at 7 PM, with sign-up to speak to the council starting at 6:30. The location is the Arundel Center, 44 Calvert Street, Annapolis Maryland - County Council Chambers, 1st Floor.

Like firearms, I’m not saying this is the right decision for everybody, but I do believe that all law-abiding citizens should have the fundamental civil right of self-defense, and should have the freedom of choice to defend themselves using any available tools.

I haven’t heard back from them all yet but this is where I think it stands right now:

Councilman Peter Smith, District 1, Democrat = Unknown
    Peter.Smith@aacounty.org

Councilman John Grasso, District 2, Republican = Unknown (I haven’t heard from him but did hear from his legislative assistant who did not know his position)
    john.grasso@aacounty.org

Councilman Derek Fink, District 3, Republican = FOR (he is the author of the bill)
    dfink@aacounty.org

Councilman Jamie Benoit, District 4, Democrat = AGAINST
    james.benoit@aacounty.org

Councilman Dick Ladd, District 5, Republican = AGAINST??? (assumed position based upon his personal ambiguous reply where he ducked the question)
    dladd@aacounty.org

Councilman Chris Trumbauer, District 6, Democrat = AGAINST
    ctrumbauer@aacounty.org

Councilman Jerry Walker, District 7, Republican = FOR
    jerry.walker@aacounty.org

-----------------------------------------------------------

County Executive Laura Neuman, Republican = Unknown
    lneuman@aacounty.org

I don’t think he would mind if I shared this: one of the councilmen wrote me back and said:
    We are not getting many emails in support of the bill but the Democrats are sending lots of emails against the bill.

We can use your help. This is like a mini-version of SB 281. If you live in Anne Arundel County, or even if you have friends or business in the county and pass through it, it would be helpful to contact these councilmen and express your support of Bill 18-13.

Thanks and I hope to see the AACO residents out on May 6th.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    By the way, although I encourage anyone who lives, works, or even just passes through Anne Arundel County to email all of the councilmen on the list above, I think we particularly need help with Councilmen Grasso and Ladd, in districts 2 and 5.

I'd like to think that we could depend upon the Republicans at least to stand for freedom, liberty, and the civil right of self defense, but all of my contacts with these two so far have been ambiguous on their positions - a troubling sign.

So everyone please flood these two in particular with contacts, even if you don't contact anyone else on the list - but that's especially true if you happen to live in their districts.

Thanks.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    This is important 'self defense' legislation. In most of the US Tasers are legal; in fact in nearly all of Maryland it is legal for a law abiding citizen to own and carry a Taser for self-defense.

I strongly agree that Tasers [electronic control devices] should be legal, and this is most critically important in a state that overly prohibits carrying firearms for self-defense. Some citizens are afraid of handguns, or are unable to properly train or use a firearm effectively; and a Taser is often the best alternative self-defense device for them.

Our right to self-defense is a constant and incremental struggle; if this legislation is successful and repeals a law that in effect only disarms the law-abiding, it will be a significant step in the right direction.

We need to get the word out, contact these representatives and support this bill.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Please proof read for me before I send:

Dear County Council,

.... [edit] ... I'll send to one or more of you in a PM or by email.

I'm sure a lot of folks in AACO would support this bill if they knew it was being decided tomorrow. How can we better get the word out?

Any update on the perceived positions of the Council members?

Thanks again for bringing this important issue to light.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Anyone reading this that supports the legalization of electronic control devices (i.e. Tasers) for citizens of Anne Arundel County, the best thing you can do is come out tomorrow and testify in support of this proposed bill.

The easiest way you can help is to send them a little note in support, simply click this link, and add a brief message in support of the bill:

http://www.aacounty.org/OnLineForms/ContactAACO.cfm#.UYZVtBx7Hvw

Example messages (feel free to cut and paste, or edit as you like):

I have lived in Anne Arundel County over 20 years and I support the right to self-defense with an electronic control device.

Please support my right to defend myself and my family with a Taser if necessary.

Tasers are a safe and legal alternative to firearms, please support my right to own one for self-defense.

Please support the right of law abiding citizens to have the option of protecting themselves with electronic control devices (i.e. Taser) as they feel is warranted.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Not legal in Baltimore county, and I think the City too.

correct.

--------------
    part of my correspondence to the Council:

My purpose for contacting you today is to urge you to support the right of law-abiding citizens to possess electronic control devices, such as the Taser for self-defense purposes. Maryland has some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the nation, and there are few other effective options that citizens may use to defend themselves when appropriate.

Tasers are not cheap, they cost $400 and up, require registration and they leave micro stamp evidence behind in the event they are used in foul play. They are legal to possess virtually everywhere in America (except: MA, RI, NY, NJ, HI & DC) and there is no Maryland State pre-emption against them. In my research I found laws or restrictions on tasers in only three counties Howard, Baltimore and AACO, and only two cities: Annapolis and Baltimore. The focus of crime should be on the actions of criminals, not tools that an honest citizen might choose to carry for self protection.

Unfamiliar with taser? Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0FmE2IIM1A

Police officers across the nation report that: “Tasers are more effective in facilitating capture, control and restraint than other force options, ... when a taser is deployed and 99.75% of the time suspects have no significant injury as a result of the device being used, according to data provided by Police Departments."

Thank you for your favorable consideration of this bill and helping to make our county a safer place.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Ugh. POS Anne Arundel liberals are scared of stun guns too?? Since when are non-lethal weapons "too dangerous for citizens?"

You'd think I'd be used to this $#!7 by now....

FIFY, they are perfectly legal in PG county...:innocent0 :party29::party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom