• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Yeah, I thought about avoiding a head shot because I know the virus is concentrated in the nervous system. Conversely it is also concentrated in saliva, and a shot to the heart/lung area would cause a raccoon to froth bloody goo all over the place through his mouth, taking longer to die, and potentially spreading more infectious material. There doesn't seem to be a good or even low-risk option.

Anyway, to conclude the saga on the disposition of the carcass, AACO Animal Control did indeed dispatch a contractor to come pick up the animal from my trap on Friday. When I got home from work he was gone. This wouldn't have happened without the intervention of Steve Schuh's County Executive Constituent Services Office.

Last edited:

00 Del

Jan 1, 2012
    The Dena, MD
    I can speak to the respiratory protection, although in this case I doubt it is strictly necessary. What one needs to prevent infection through the respiratory route is a particulate filter. Provided one does not have facial hair where the respirator would seal to the face, the following is perfectly acceptable:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8511-Parti...qid=1445759866&sr=8-1&keywords=n95+respirator

Personally I would probably have sprayed with a bleach solution, waited an appropriate contact time, gloved, double bagged and disposed of the gloves using aseptic technique into the same bag. If one doesn't have access to biohazard disposal, the land fill doesn't seem to be a problematic solution.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Wouldn't any vet's office also be able to advise or provide assistance? I'd hope they all have training in the containment and disposal of infectious diseases of every type, and might appreciate learning about a locally infected animal.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Re: AACO AC - when I called and my neighbors called they said they wouldn't come out unless we knew exactly where the animal was at that moment. Of course by the time we got to the phone he had wandered back off into the woods and they refused to dispatch. Yet when I did trap him and we did therefore know exactly where he was, they again refused and sent us to DNR, who sent us back to AC, who ... I spent probably an hour on the phone yesterday, between them and DNR. Sigh.

Next time tell AACO that you are watching it in the backyard. If they are willing to dispatch someone when the guy shows up say it just walked into the trap.
    The work is done hopefully they would take it.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Distemper is another possibility. They will mope about and even go in circles and everyone will think they are rabid. With distemper their eyes may crust shut, or at least they will be weeping from the eyes.

Saw LOTS of distemper in coons here a few years back.

I've had trouble getting any one to test ANYTHING these days.
    I've killed two skunks in the last two years that both tested positive for rabies and had a heck of a time getting anyone to come out and get them and that was after repeated phone calls, emails etc. They quarantined our kids' livestock but didn't give a damn about me, LOL! Took numerous phone calls and office visits to even get Co Health Dept to check my titer, and then they did it very grudgingly, MONTHS later. I had preexposure shots in the '80s and get titer checked every few years: no booster needed to date.

Have shot, bleached and buried a number since that I know were rabid.
    Had one last winter: called Heath Dept, they said "just shoot it. That's all we're going to do. Won't even test it, just assume it's positive".

So, I ASSUME everything has it these days and handle them accordingly.

DollZ

Sep 11, 2015
    Thank Heavens for Steve Schuh - Very glad they are coming to take the carcass

An extremely informative thread - Thanks Everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom