• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    Dicks Sporting Goods has not been selling AR-15 type rifles since after Sandy Hook happened in 2012. However, a subsidiary (?) of Dicks, Field And Stream Stores has been selling the rifles. Until now. Wal-Mart has not been selling AR type rifles since 2015. And Wal-Mart has been phasing firearms out from stores that were not in more "rural" areas for years. (The store in Laurel does not have guns, but one near Glen Burnie does?) So there isn't anything new about that. I will probably get flamed for this, but isn't 8 pages enough? Just askin'...

No its not enough for douche bags that don't appreciate the American way of life!
    And Sandy Hook, outside of a Hollywood performance, never happened!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The National Sports Shooting Foundation (NSSF) just expelled Dick's from its membership.
    https://www.nssf.org/nssf-expels-dicks-sporting-goods/

NEWTOWN, Conn. — The National Shooting Sports Foundation® (NSSF®), the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industries, Board of Governors today unanimously voted to expel Dick’s Sporting Goods from membership for conduct detrimental to the best interests of the Foundation.

Dick’s Sporting Goods recently hired a Washington D.C.-based government affairs firm, for “[l]obbying related to gun control.” Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack announced earlier this year the retail chain would end sales of modern sporting rifles, voluntarily raise the age to 21 to purchase firearms in their stores and called for more restrictive legislation. Dick’s later announced they would destroy the remaining modern sporting rifle inventory. NSSF responded that business decisions should be individually made, but was nonetheless disappointed and the decision does not reflect the reality of the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Looks like Springfield Armory is doing something

Springfield Armory Severs Ties With Dick’s Sporting Goods

In what seems to be a now daily occurrence, Dick’s Sporting Goods is in the news again for their anti gun stance.
    Earlier this week, it came to light that Dick’s had hired communications firm Glover Park Group to lobby on Capital Hill in support of further gun control. Glover Park describes their services as “an integrated and complementary suite of services to plan, build and execute all manner of communications tactics, campaigns and programs.” They have worked on such campaigns as the Iran Nuclear Deal and they list legislative and regulatory strategy as one of their “tools in the toolbox”. These moves make it very apparent that Dick’s no longer feels it is enough for them to push gun control policy in their stores, they have their sights set on a much larger prize.

As Dick’s begins their coordinated efforts to influence policy on Capital Hill, firearm brands are taking notice. Last night, Springfield Armory issued a statement that they will no longer supply their products to Dick’s. Below is their official announcement.

“Springfield Armory® Severs Ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods

Springfield Armory announces its decision in response to Dick’s Sporting Goods’ attempts to deny Second Amendment freedoms

GENESEO, IL, (05/03/18) – Springfield Armory is severing ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, in response to their hiring a group for anti-Second Amendment lobbying.

This latest action follows Dick’s Sporting Goods’ decision to remove and destroy all modern sporting rifles (MSR) from their inventory. In addition, they have denied Second Amendment rights to Americans under the age of 21. We at Springfield Armory believe that all law abiding American citizens of adult age are guaranteed this sacred right under our Constitution.

It is clear where Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, stand on the Second Amendment, and we want to be clear about our message in response. Their position runs counter to what we stand for as a company. At Springfield Armory, we believe in the rights and principles fought for and secured by American patriots and our founding forefathers, without question. We will not accept Dick’s Sporting Goods’ continued attempts to deny Second Amendment freedoms to our fellow Americans.”

It should be noted that at the time of writing this article, the Dick’s Sporting Goods and Field & Stream websites still have Springfield’s products listed. It’s unknown when and if they will be removed. It also makes one wonder Dick’s will destroy these firearms rather than sell the inventory out, similar to what is being done with their AR inventory.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    There's nothing at Dick's that you can't get at a better place and better price. They will go out of business eventually. Perhaps that is their plan.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    My prediction is that Dicks will double down and use this as an "opportunity" to stop selling any guns or ammo and get out of that business altogether.

Fine by me. Hope they choke on it.

No idea the margins. I have a feeling the regulations, record keeping, liability etc. may be a factor big box store like that would just dump firearms. Every state is different, and we have new gun laws all the time on magazine restrictions, rifles and handguns good to go in this state, but not that state, need a licence to buy ammo here, but not there.. If they are reaping good margins on all other products, why not dump guns. Look at the help they have. I wouldn't exactly trust many of the employees to follow gun laws, forget to do paperwork etc.

I bought a rifle at Cabelas, and was the 2nd customer served, and it took over an hour to get out going through their NICS check maze they have, for a cash and carry rimfire rifle. Another time there I picked a number to be served, I had been looking for a drop in trigger and finally found it in an aisle. It would have been an hour or more for my number to be called. I spoke to one customer who had been there day before and he told me after two hours he left and back to try again. Unfortunately, the Government makes firearms extremely laborious to sell. I understand Dicks is turning it in to a political statement. Don't be so sure it will hurt them. Looks to me they cater to a ton of Moms, and Granola types. LL Bean, and REI rake in coin selling no firearms. Dicks has a ton of apparel sales taking up their floor space. Many other sports they cater to, whose participants of care less about firearms.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Looks to me they cater to a ton of Moms, and Granola types. LL Bean, and REI rake in coin selling no firearms. Dicks has a ton of apparel sales taking up their floor space. Many other sports they cater to, whose participants of care less about firearms.

Dick's caters to a different market than REI & LL Bean. The latter two are more upscale, with higher-margin, higher price point, goods that benefit from being in a brick and mortar format. Dicks sells commodity goods to price-conscious customers who can just as easily buy identical, standardized goods online for less. The only advantage they have over Amazon is when you need something for your kid's game this evening, not in two days.

Last edited:

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    Dicks

Right now, the Dicks in Rio in Gaithersburg is one of the only stores I know of that still carries guns and ammo. Management is simply so into virtue signalling that they don't care what it does to their business.

On the other hand they may have foreknowledge of laws that are coming - the ability to sue both the manufacturer and the seller of the weapon for crimes committed by the purchaser. While all the analogies about sueing car dealerships for car accidents, knife makers for stabbings, etc. all hold true, they are successfully sueing the drug makers and distributors for drug overdose deaths, so, how far behind are those laws or court cases.

They may be getting their virtue signalling mileage while they can.

On the other hand, would a raft of "release of liability" agreements on purchase be the legal way around that shit? I used to race motorcycles, and you had to sign about 5 liability forms in order to race due to stupid ass lawsuits. I don't disagree that tracks should be liable for dangerous conditions, or manufactures faulty equipment, but it has become common for the family to sue everyone from the bike maker to the people who made the boots and gloves, along with the track, promoter, and other competitors.

Just a thought

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I'm a firm believer that the hunting / guns and ammo business was not a money maker for Dicks and they were planning to get rid of it regardless. They are simply masquerading a business decision as some kind of social activism to play the PR game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom