• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I recently got hold of a Ruger American Rimfire "Predator" model, which I'd been looking for for quite a while now. I knew I wanted an accurate bolt gun to be a suppressor host, and since I also own a 10/22 the Ruger was a no-brainer over a Savage, and I was quite happy with the overall (I feel) better quality of the Ruger as well.

I mounted a Leapers / UTG 4-16X AO scope on it, and today I hit the range for the first time. I've been putting away decent quantities of Eley Target ammo lately, and I put 100 rounds of that through the rifle.

Off of a front rest with crappy rear support (the benches at Free State aren't really made for this) when I did my part the rifle would do really nice groups at 25 yards. I got several five round groups in the .25" - .3" area, and some ten round groups in the .3" - .5" area. For my first time out with it, I'm quite happy.

This rifle can be had for less than $300 easily. It's got an adjustable trigger (mine is dialed all the way down to right about 3 pounds, and it has an incredibly crisp break for a factory trigger. It comes bedded and free-floated from the factory, too. It's a great value.

RAR.jpg

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Sounds like a nice setup. Put a shooter behind that rifle and it could be a good one. :innocent0

Take Care!
    Congrats :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Been thinking about a host for my new(in jail) .22 can. This might fill the bill. Thanks Hawkeye!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Been thinking about a host for my new(in jail) .22 can. This might fill the bill. Thanks Hawkeye!

I'm sold on these. They seem every bit as accurate as the Savage FV-SR, and you don't have to immediately replace the stock, either. Also, if you own a 10/22 they share magazines.

I paid a little extra because I wanted the green stock and this bolt handle. A black stocked one with a ball bolt handle can be found for $260 or so pretty easily. There's a "target" model with a bull barrel, but I wanted the plastic modular stock (which, again, shares the stock modules with the 10/22 modular stock), and for some reason the target model has a low comb, which I just don't understand.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm sold on these. They seem every bit as accurate as the Savage FV-SR, and you don't have to immediately replace the stock, either. Also, if you own a 10/22 they share magazines.

I paid a little extra because I wanted the green stock and this bolt handle. A black stocked one with a ball bolt handle can be found for $260 or so pretty easily. There's a "target" model with a bull barrel, but I wanted the plastic modular stock (which, again, shares the stock modules with the 10/22 modular stock), and for some reason the target model has a low comb, which I just don't understand.

That's always a plus. Seems like they thought out this rifle and came up with a nice one.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    That's always a plus. Seems like they thought out this rifle and came up with a nice one.

It does seem that way.

The only "complaint" that most of the Ruger community seems to have about them is that they wish that they were compatible with the 10/22 barrels, too. They're not out of the box, but I've seen some posts where smiths were able to fit a 10/22 barrel to one of these with some work. Doesn't seem like it's easily doable at home, though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It does seem that way.

The only "complaint" that most of the Ruger community seems to have about them is that they wish that they were compatible with the 10/22 barrels, too. They're not out of the box, but I've seen some posts where smiths were able to fit a 10/22 barrel to one of these with some work. Doesn't seem like it's easily doable at home, though.

That is my complaint too, that more isn't interchangeable with a 10/22. That said, crap, if the barrel is capable of less than 1" at 50 from the factory with a good load, I don't need a better barrel. I've been saving up cabelas gift cards to get one. I like that they have interchangeable riser/pads so I can swap between a youth and adult for my son to shoot with it.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Looks like a solid setup. You can prob get it a little tighter if the trigger can get to 1.5-2# or even lighter if you don't do anything other than bench work. It's great to hear the capability for accuracy is there in factory form with all the cool features...... Enjoy!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Looks like a solid setup. You can prob get it a little tighter if the trigger can get to 1.5-2# or even lighter if you don't do anything other than bench work. It's great to hear the capability for accuracy is there in factory form with all the cool features...... Enjoy!

Thanks!

The "stock" trigger adjustment won't go below 3#, but if you cut or remove altogether the trigger return spring (or replace it with a lighter one) you can get it down lighter than that. I just haven't wanted (or had the time) to fool with that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom