Come help build a playground in Perry Hall!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    For anyone who's been to "Annie's Playground" in Fallston, there is a new similar playground going up in Perry Hall as a memorial called "Angel Park." It's right on Honeygo Blvd. near where it hits Rt 1, next to the Perry Hall library.

The entire thing has been a community effort from the start, and the build is this week. Today was the first day, but there is building going on the whole week, with the exception of Monday.

They need all kinds of help, but especially labor during the week. If you can run a circular saw without killing yourself you count as "skilled labor."

I was there for five hours today, and I'll be back from 5 - 9 tomorrow night, and early Sunday morning.

If you can spare some time this week, sign up at http://www.angel-park.org/

The entire thing is VERY well run and is a ton and a half of fun. The donations from corporations (a truckload of beverages from Pepsi, cases of power tools from DeWalt, etc) and the community have been awesome. There's even free food from Casa Mia's, Chick-fil-a, Mission BBQ, and more.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    No.

They have literally everything there. They do suggest that if you qualify as skilled labor that you can bring your own toolbelt, but DeWalt donated a truckload of tools so they have EVERYTHING there - from tape measures to drills and saws to portable worklights and pumps for water. Food is also taken care of, as is drinks and child care if you want that.

Sign up for a shift on the website I linked above and show up. They'll assign you to a team and the team to a job.

It's been awesome so far.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Just got home from my first shift today. I may go back at 5.

It's really coming along now, and it's more in to the "fun" work - screwing and bolting stuff together, etc. Most of the post setting and the like is done.

It is really, really worth it to come out if you're in the area. EVERYONE is awesome to work with and so positive and friendly. It's a great thing.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Just got home from my first shift today. I may go back at 5.

It's really coming along now, and it's more in to the "fun" work - screwing and bolting stuff together, etc. Most of the post setting and the like is done.

It is really, really worth it to come out if you're in the area. EVERYONE is awesome to work with and so positive and friendly. It's a great thing.

Did you know about or help out with the extreme makeover house down the road in overlea that happened 6 years ago?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I didn't, but my employer gave full scholarships to the kids who lived at the group home that the show did the first time they were in Baltimore several years back.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I didn't, but my employer gave full scholarships to the kids who lived at the group home that the show did the first time they were in Baltimore several years back.

Oh, they came to bmore again?

My whole family and a bunch of church friends helped back in 2010. I made it on tv for about 3 seconds unrolling sod. I also helped build the wire fence on the 2nd story rooftop, as well as a bunch of moving stuff around and donating a generator and air compressor for a few days when some equipment went on the fritz.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    Oh, they came to bmore again?

My whole family and a bunch of church friends helped back in 2010. I made it on tv for about 3 seconds unrolling sod. I also helped build the wire fence on the 2nd story rooftop, as well as a bunch of moving stuff around and donating a generator and air compressor for a few days when some equipment went on the fritz.
    So you worked on the house in Overlea on Fleetwood ? We did the same thing with the Horse Farm build in Port Deposit. A large group from my church that had performed relief work in Miss for Hurricane Katrina, worked mostly the overnights. It was quite an experience. Got to be in the VIP tent when they revealed the house to the family. Their smiles were off the hook.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So you worked on the house in Overlea on Fleetwood ? We did the same thing with the Horse Farm build in Port Deposit. A large group from my church that had performed relief work in Miss for Hurricane Katrina, worked mostly the overnights. It was quite an experience. Got to be in the VIP tent when they revealed the house to the family. Their smiles were off the hook.

Yep, it's right down the road from me. We walked to the work site every night and a few days. It was an awesome experience. In fact, it must have been 6 years ago to the day because some old pictures of it just showed up on my timehop. :D

It was kind of crazy realizing that the house was only 80% done when they filmed the reveal. Volunteers couldn't help anymore after that and they had a small crew working at least another month to finish everything.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    A coworker did this. He said it was a great experience...and he drooled over the donated power tools.

Me too. They had several shipping containers on site full of tools, and all the newest stuff. They had the new 60v lithium batteries that have a step-down so you can use them in 40v or 20v tools. Battery powered circular saws, table saws, grinders, drills, screw guns, worklights, I used them all. It was great, and now I want more tools...

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hawkeye,

Do you know if they still need help ? The website shows the 8 - 18th as the build days.

The "public build" part of it is done. I think this week they have a company there putting down the rubberized surface (instead of mulch) on top of the concrete pad under the whole thing, and then they're having professionals build the picnic pavillion and amphitheater and one or two other things. Then they'll have a grand opening.

Apparently they're considering a sort of "summer concert series" at the amphitheater when that's done as well, which would be pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom