Good mechanic in Brandywine/Waldorf area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Alright,
    So my '97 Toyota Avalon is at the dealer for 90K maintenance. Guy calls, and it needs a new valve cover gasket. He informs me the part cost is pretty much "nothing" but the cost is all labor....$679 worth. Damn. Anyone know of a good mechanic in my AO that wouldn't charge as much?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    F that I'm in Taneytown and the shop I work at is in Westminster. PM me. No way should a valvecover gasket be that much.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Sullivan's just quoted me $414.60. I'm gonna keep looking.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Alright,
    So my '97 Toyota Avalon is at the dealer for 90K maintenance. Guy calls, and it needs a new valve cover gasket. He informs me the part cost is pretty much "nothing" but the cost is all labor....$679 worth. Damn. Anyone know of a good mechanic in my AO that wouldn't charge as much?

for a valve cover??Thats some BS!

http://www.wjowsa.com/carstuff/toyota-avalon-and-camry-1mz-plugs-and-valve-cover-job/
    http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut..._cover/valve_cover_gasket_set.html?3593=60610

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    It's a bit out of the area you mentioned, but Boteler Automotive in Beltsville does excellent work at reasonable prices. They're honest, competent, and pleasant.

Also, their customer service is unbelievable. When my mom had a problem recur with her car after about six months, they replaced the parts for free AND did not charge her any labor!!!!! (The problem was defective parts from the factory, not a problem with their original work.)

I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    So I did a search and found AutoMD. You plug in your vehicle info, what's needed etc. and they email you back with quotes from garages in your area. I got three...

Meineke Car Care in Clinton $$165
    Firestone in Waldorf for $336
    Pep Boys in Forrestville for $336.

Now, obviously Meineke sounds great...but too good to be true.

Thoughts?

robdiao

Oct 7, 2010
    Charles County
    Ha, I probably know the people working on your car. I have a few friends at the shop at the waldorf dealer. The Tire Plus on smallwood across from taco bell has a few decent Mechanics, a guy I know (barely) named Giovanni does good work there. My best friend used to work at the Sullivans next to the Valvoline oil shop and I think some of their guys are all right but not sure of prices.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Ha, I probably know the people working on your car. I have a few friends at the shop at the waldorf dealer. The Tire Plus on smallwood across from taco bell has a few decent Mechanics, a guy I know (barely) named Giovanni does good work there. My best friend used to work at the Sullivans next to the Valvoline oil shop and I think some of their guys are all right but not sure of prices.

Any other good (and affordable) shops in the area that you know of? Someone had recommended Blue Ribbon, and Cox's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom