Galil Ace
    CMMG Mutant
    AR chambered in 7.62x39
    Egyptian Rasheed
    Sig 556 series Russians
    Creative Arms ARK
    RRA LAR-47
    PSA KS47

I'm sure there are others. You working on a list to give to MGA next year? :innocent0

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Sig Sauer 556r or Sig Sauer 556xi Russian
    CMMG Mutant
    CZ v58 and the other model I can't remember the name of

Lots of options and I'm sure others can complete the list.

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    any AR in 7.62 39 or does it have to be an HBar too?

I know about this choice and good to know HBAR doesn't apply. Sounds like for some people 7.62 upper works perfect and others not so great. I have a Stag Arms model 3, haven't found a post yet for best 7.62 upper for that and I don't believe Stag makes them. Having just got an AR I didn't fully appreciate how flexible it is, not the tacticool accessories but the caliber changes.

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    Did a quick analysis in case someone has a similar question in the future.

Original question was: Besides the Mini-30 and SKS, what are options in Md for a 7.62x39 semi-auto?
    I would refine this to be: Besides the Mini-30 and SKS, what are options in Md for a 7.62x39 semi-auto that can:
    (1) shoot cheap ammo/is reliable
    (2) can use AK or widely available mags (e.g. AK or AR platform) or stripper clips
    (3) preferably sub $1000

I can't speak to (1) on the below, although that is main reason for me to not consider the Mini-30 despite being a big fan of the Mini platform. It appears to require mods to deal with foreign steel ammo and sometimes the mods don't seem enough.

Here's my analysis:

1. VZ58/2008: < $1000 (2008), proprietary mags
    2. Galil Ace: > $1000, AK mags
    3. CMMG Mutant: > $1000, AK mags
    4. AR upper chambered in 7.62x39: < $1000 (even < $500), AR style mags
    5. Egyptian Rasheed: extremely rare rifle probably > $1000, uses strippers clips
    6. Sig 556 series Russians: > $1000, AK mags
    7. Creative Arms ARK: slightly > $1000, AK mags
    8. RRA LAR-47: slightly > $1000, AK mags
    9. PSA KS47: < $1000, AR style mags
    10. MCX: > $1000, AR style mags
    11. RPD: > $1000 (most expensive in list at > $2000), drum mags, might not be easy to get but might be able to get them in-state
    12. PTR-32: >$1000, AK mags (gen II and later PTR-32)

I like the VZ2008 the most, however the mag looks problematic. Since we're in Md, high-cap mags have to be ordered to ship out of state/purchase directly out of state which can be inconvenient for a hard to get mag. The AR upper appears to be the overall winner, very cheap. The AR style mags are less available than AK style mags but guessing they should not be too much of a problem to get.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice analysis. I've been caught in a similar conundrum. The VZ-2008 has appeal, except for the mag system.

I have a PSA KS-47 which is mag finicky, and thus have AK style mags that are incompatible with it and want a modestly priced firearm that will take these mags. Otherwise I too might have gone for an AR-15 upper that can chamber 7.62x39.

I do have the PTR-32 on my list of possibilities, as should you, as it is in the middle of the pack for pricing and has a good reputation for reliability. The only thing that makes me pause is that it's a heavier system (an appeal of the VZ-2008, even the tactical model that Atlantic currently has in stock, is that it's lightweight).

If money were no object and I was more familiar with options when I started, I would have already purchased the Sig 556 Russian or Galil Ace, and not be posting. In retrospect, if I had known that the KS-47 would have mag issues, I would have gone for either of these two rifles (or the CMMG Mutant) instead.

As it is, I'm looking at AK-47 pistols (MD legal) and possibly adding a Sig stabilizing brace (SB-47) to one. This would achieve my goal of a pricepoint under $1000, provide a system that uses AK-47 mags, and should be fine with steel cased ammo. Beyond price, the only distinguishing criteria are reputation for reliability, acceptable accuracy, and possibly a rail to facilitate adding a red dot (notable how this is less than straightforward with some options). Haven't had much time to do this research, beyond getting to this focal point of an AK-47 pistol.

Obviously a pistol will have more transport restrictions in MD. I'm fine with this, as it's meant to be a range toy unless there's a precipitating need to expand its use.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    As it is, I'm looking at AK-47 pistols (MD legal) and possibly adding a Sig stabilizing brace (SB-47) to one. This would achieve my goal of a pricepoint under $1000, provide a system that uses AK-47 mags, and should be fine with steel cased ammo. Beyond price, the only distinguishing criteria are reputation for reliability, acceptable accuracy, and possibly a rail to facilitate adding a red dot (notable how this is less than straightforward with some options). Haven't had much time to do this research, beyond getting to this focal point of an AK-47 pistol.

Obviously a pistol will have more transport restrictions in MD. I'm fine with this, as it's meant to be a range toy unless there's a precipitating need to expand its use.
    does also give you the option to look into SBRing it down the line if you later have more to spend on it and you don't mind going THAT route.

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    I do have the PTR-32 on my list of possibilities, as should you, as it is in the middle of the pack for pricing and has a good reputation for reliability. The only thing that makes me pause is that it's a heavier system (an appeal of the VZ-2008, even the tactical model that Atlantic currently has in stock, is that it's lightweight).

Thanks for that, I checked it out and put it on the list.

Despite being heavy the SKS is looking like a good choice. I had been leaning towards it, started this thread to see what other choices there are in the sub $1k.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205