• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    To all those following,

1. Thank you for following.
    2. This will be an ongoing expense as we will incur additional expenses as this goes on
    3. To contribute to the legal expenses, please go here:

HQL Fund

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Today, Maryland Shall Issue, Atlantic Guns of Rockville and Silver Spring, MD, and several individual citizens of Maryland filed suit in federal district court in Baltimore, challenging every aspect of the Handgun Qualification License (HQL) requirements imposed by the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, and the implementing regulations and practices imposed by the Maryland State Police in 2013. A copy of the complaint, as filed in court, can be found on the Maryland Shall Issue website at https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/documents/public/2-msi-hql-lawsuit-complaint

Briefly summarized, the suit alleges that the Handgun Qualification License requirements, both as set forth in the statute, and as implemented by the Maryland State Police, violate the Second Amendment of the Constitution by placing unjustifiable and overwhelming burdens on the right of law-abiding citizens to purchase a handgun for the home. The suit further alleges that aspects of the statute and the regulations violate the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment by, among other things, imposing such vague requirements that citizens are exposed to a profound risk of discriminatory and arbitrary arrest and prosecution. Finally, the suit directly attacks the regulations issued by the Maryland State Police on a variety of state law grounds. Those regulations and practices impose even more onerous requirements, not required by the statute, and are thus illegal under well-established principles of Maryland administrative law.

The HQL requirements, particularly as implemented by the State Police, were intended to create as many obstacles to the purchase of a handgun as possible and thus effectively ration the exercise of constitutional rights to the few who have the substantial time, money, specialized knowledge and sheer determination to navigate all these roadblocks to the exercise of a constitutional right. That result is wrong and simply cannot be meekly accepted without a fight. That fight is now on.

Our legal counsel in this suit is Cary J. Hansel, Hansel Law, PC, 2514 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. While the State of Maryland is sure to resist and it is always hazardous to predict litigation, we look forward to working with Cary to achieve a successful outcome in this case.

This is just the first step. There is a still a long road ahead and we will need your continued help and support as this suit proceeds.

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    This is the retaliation. A massive Baltimore Sun "book" on gun violence, published today.

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/shoot-to-kill/

No doubt Bloomberg funded. Looks like half the sun's staff contributed. Whole lot of made up fairy tales in here, and no blame on anything except guns.

So, they really ARE paying attention!!

GOOD!!!!

I mentioned the suit to Kathy Szeliga this evening, and she was a solid approval.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I love it, especially the part where the training should be msp's responsibility and part of the up to $50 fee, and how hql instructors can deny people training without due process.

I can name half a dozen that would deny me training. I could double that number by tomorrow evening if need be. :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Do any of the rulings on voting requirements come in to play here at all in the bigger courts?

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    Great news! Should be interesting, in the months to come, to see how the State and Anti-Gun groups react. Sure they will stop at nothing to make sure they keep their "common sense" safe guards in place.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Great news! Should be interesting, in the months to come, to see how the State and Anti-Gun groups react. Sure they will stop at nothing to make sure they keep their "common sense" safe guards in place.

True. At the Marylanders to Prevent Handgun Violence meeting that I crashed two weeks ago, they said exactly this about the HQL.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I love it, especially the part where the training should be msp's responsibility and part of the up to $50 fee, and how hql instructors can deny people training without due process.

I can name half a dozen that would deny me training. I could double that number by tomorrow evening if need be. :)

DENIED

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    True. At the Marylanders to Prevent Handgun Violence meeting that I crashed two weeks ago, they said exactly this about the HQL.

Then we need to keep a close watch on them. First HINT of criminal wrongdoing and the gate slams shut on them.

And I kicked in to the HQL Fund yet again... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom