• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I wouldn't get too excited...several other states have various "permission" cards and are still required...unless there is something compellingly different about the HQL I wouldn't hold my breath for reversal...yeah I know...y'all are going to call me negative...I prefer to be called a realist and I hope I am wrong...It would be nice to go into my favorite firearms shop and buy a new pistol again...for now I am content to do the 80% thing...I have zero trust in the courts...especially with Scalia gone

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I wouldn't get too excited...several other states have various "permission" cards and are still required...unless there is something compellingly different about the HQL I wouldn't hold my breath for reversal...yeah I know...y'all are going to call me negative...I prefer to be called a realist and I hope I am wrong...It would be nice to go into my favorite firearms shop and buy a new pistol again...for now I am content to do the 80% thing...I have zero trust in the courts...especially with Scalia gone

Regardless, this sends a CLEAR message to Frosh, the MGA and the MSP LD - the natives are restless.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I wouldn't get too excited...several other states have various "permission" cards and are still required...unless there is something compellingly different about the HQL I wouldn't hold my breath for reversal...yeah I know...y'all are going to call me negative...I prefer to be called a realist and I hope I am wrong...It would be nice to go into my favorite firearms shop and buy a new pistol again...for now I am content to do the 80% thing...I have zero trust in the courts...especially with Scalia gone

Several differences from other states.

The HQL is redundant. It almost completely duplicates the pre existing background check that has been in place since 1996 and regulation of handguns since 1968. It serves no new purpose beyond a new burden.

Although it is called a handgun license, it doesnt actually license anyone to do anything related to a handgun. Its not for possession, carry, or even purchase, because to purchase, one must go through the same process again, almost entirely. But at almost 1/5th the cost and 1/4 the wait. How do they justify that?

The only thing new about it are the fees and the fingerprints. Fingerprints are tied to the same background check systems and NICS, they add no new measure of public protection.

Even the training component was preexisting. They could have just altered that.

In cases like this, the decision should be at the very least based on accomoishing a goal by the least restrictive means necessary. MD's stated goal was already accomplished by the existing regulated firearms process. The actual goal of preventing or reducing legal ownership isnt allowed.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015

You are not negative, just pessimistic. Totally understandable. However, I applaud those guys for fighting the fight. By going on the offense, our side gives pushback and makes the other side spend time and resources to defend their tenuous anti-2A position. That 2nd amendment gives us a solid base to stand on, while their foundations are soft sand.

Never give an inch, and fight hard to defend your RIGHT!

Several differences from other states.

The HQL is redundant. It almost completely duplicates the pre existing background check that has been in place since 1996 and regulation of handguns since 1968. It serves no new purpose beyond a new burden.

Although it is called a handgun license, it doesnt actually license anyone to do anything related to a handgun. Its not for possession, carry, or even purchase, because to purchase, one must go through the same process again, almost entirely. But at almost 1/5th the cost and 1/4 the wait. How do they justify that?

The only thing new about it are the fees and the fingerprints. Fingerprints are tied to the same background check systems and NICS, they add no new measure of public protection.

Even the training component was preexisting. They could have just altered that.

In cases like this, the decision should be at the very least based on accomoishing a goal by the least restrictive means necessary. MD's stated goal was already accomplished by the existing regulated firearms process. The actual goal of preventing or reducing legal ownership isnt allowed.

good info...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Also don't forget the live fire requirement from the MSP.

Introduced in the September 23rd 2013 AELR hearing after being expressly rejected from SB281 during the legislative session.

NO other state has a similar requirement.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You know folks, no doubt this is a thinking thing. And I'm sure there's been a whole lot of thought put into these upcoming arguments.

But if nothing else, sometimes here in the "free" state of Maryland? Hard not to like the thought of being the f)$kER for a change, rather than the f)$kEE.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You are not negative, just pessimistic. Totally understandable. However, I applaud those guys for fighting the fight. By going on the offense, our side gives pushback and makes the other side spend time and resources to defend their tenuous anti-2A position. That 2nd amendment gives us a solid base to stand on, while their foundations are soft sand.

Never give an inch, and fight hard to defend your RIGHT!

Ironically we get to pay for both through our tax dollars.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Also the amount charged for the HQL has no relation to the cost of providing it so it is a TAX on a Constitutionally Guaranteed Right. What next Poll taxes and Speech taxes?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Also the amount charged for the HQL has no relation to the cost of providing it so it is a TAX on a Constitutionally Guaranteed Right. What next Poll taxes and Speech taxes?

I'll never forget the night the price was debated on the house floor. It started at 100, then 75, 50, 25 -- and that's where the speaker got flustered and said "well it has to cost something" and it took it back to $50.

Completely arbitrary and purposefully burdensome.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Yeah...

I'm waiting for the next round of Van Hollowhead ads... maybe even another MPGV piece of drivelous tripe.

This is the retaliation. A massive Baltimore Sun "book" on gun violence, published today.

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/shoot-to-kill/

No doubt Bloomberg funded. Looks like half the sun's staff contributed. Whole lot of made up fairy tales in here, and no blame on anything except guns.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I'll never forget the night the price was debated on the house floor. It started at 100, then 75, 50, 25 -- and that's where the speaker got flustered and said "well it has to cost something" and it took it back to $50.

Completely arbitrary and purposefully burdensome.

This.

It should have cost the Speaker his high political office.

And now it's going to cost the State even more, to litigate it.

In a state that his party spent into debt as far as the eye can see.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Good work Mark. As soon as I get done supporting my preferred politicians I will contribute again to the HQL lawsuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom