• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    2020 Black bear lottery is open. Good luck all of you MDSers!!!

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    It’s my first year entering the lottery. Is it pretty rare to draw a tag? Just wondering how many points I’ll have to accumulate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I can shoot one on my own property without a license. Question is... what would I do with him? Meat is like pork right? Chops, roast, cube and ground and use pork recipes?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    It’s my first year entering the lottery. Is it pretty rare to draw a tag? Just wondering how many points I’ll have to accumulate...

For some it’s not rare, others yes. I’ve applied every year since it started in 2004. I finally got drawn in 2015 (12th year). I haven’t been drawn since. This will be my 17th year entering. I was told by DNR’s Harry Spiker (Bear Project Leader) that the DNR believes that most hunters get picked roughly every 3-4 years. He was stunned when I gave him my stats, he truly believed everyone was getting drawn every few years. When I was scouting out there that year, I ran into a guy that was there on his 3rd consecutive draw. It is silly random, and there’s no real target for “points”, no matter what DNR officials believe.

God luck to everyone this year, both in being drawn and on the hunt if selected.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'd enter, but I don't know a thing about bear hunting and we live pretty far away from bear country. Any members willing to "guide" me if I share the spoils?

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    For some it’s not rare, others yes. I’ve applied every year since it started in 2004. I finally got drawn in 2015 (12th year). I haven’t been drawn since. This will be my 17th year entering. I was told by DNR’s Harry Spiker (Bear Project Leader) that the DNR believes that most hunters get picked roughly every 3-4 years. He was stunned when I gave him my stats, he truly believed everyone was getting drawn every few years. When I was scouting out there that year, I ran into a guy that was there on his 3rd consecutive draw. It is silly random, and there’s no real target for “points”, no matter what DNR officials believe.

God luck to everyone this year, both in being drawn and on the hunt if selected.

Wow, some luck! Thanks for the info

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't forget the drawing is weighted towards Alleghany and Garrett Co. residents.
    They say that, but it ain't true...not to any large extent. I know land/crop/orchard owners out there who have never been drawn since this thing started. :sad20:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I can shoot one on my own property without a license. Question is... what would I do with him? Meat is like pork right? Chops, roast, cube and ground and use pork recipes?

Cook it like pork from a temperature standpoint due to trichinosis.

Bear is as lean or leaner than venison and cooks as fast. The fat is not in the meat and can be rendered like beef/pork fat and is supposed to be pretty good.

I don't add any fat to venison but if I wanted bear burgers, I'd probably use some bear fat.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I went 3 years, a buddy went 4, now were are at 5 and 4 respectively.

I believe that they added some counties and an extra day this year.

If you get lucky and down a 400-500lb ish bear, make sure you have plenty of help to FD, transport, and butcher. It took me and a buddy 7 hours to FD, cape, and quarter one and get it in 2 huge coolers. DNR thankfully let us bring the cape and pecker for checking instead of the whole bear that would have needed a forklift (or tractor) to get into the back of the truck and there was no way we could have dressed it, checked it in and got back w/o ruining the meat as it was very warm that year. Hat tip to DNR.

You also need to think about what you are going to do w/ the cape etc. BEFORE you shoot it. This will impact how you cape it. You also need to understand what you can and can't do w/ the hide, paws etc. since bear is a protected species. Right now, the state would rather you trash the hide etc instead of gifting, or god forbid, sell it to someone to make a work of art.

These critters are much different than deer. YT is your friend and you need to understand how to deal w/ the claws if you want to keep them if nothing else. In Oakland MD www.reflectionstaxidermystudio.com did a beautiful job on my Yogi rug and was very close to the check in station. I believe "Foxtrapper" (sp? on this forum) who is in the Baltimore area can make teddy bears etc out of your trophy. If I get a small one, this is the way I would go. :-)

Don't believe the INet warriors on how fatty, fishy, other BS on how bear tastes. If you like venison, you will love how MD Black bear tastes including the liver and heart.

Good luck on the lottery.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Cook it like pork from a temperature standpoint due to trichinosis.

Bear is as lean or leaner than venison and cooks as fast. The fat is not in the meat and can be rendered like beef/pork fat and is supposed to be pretty good.

I don't add any fat to venison but if I wanted bear burgers, I'd probably use some bear fat.

Good to know info. Steaks on the grill or roast in a smoker???? Roast in the crock with bbq mix or is it too lean for that sort of stuff Burger with suet mixed in???
    Trichinosis ... high probability?

I get one on a game camera every now and again, about 75 feet from the house.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Good to know info. Steaks on the grill or roast in a smoker???? Roast in the crock with bbq mix or is it too lean for that sort of stuff Burger with suet mixed in???
    Trichinosis ... high probability?

I get one on a game camera every now and again, about 75 feet from the house.

Trichinosis is a possibility but if you cook it like pork no problem. (165 for 15+seconds).
    I may have gone a bit rarer but WMD bears seem to be very healthy.

Crock pot, pressure cooker, sous vide (my favorite), slow cook, smoke, are all good. Sous vide will cook the meat perfectly and the longer you leave it in the more tender it gets. Sear it and vola.

Suet would probably be best for burger but I hate to add fat to any game and prefer stew type meat.

Try to get the cape and fat off ASAP, then quarter it into a cooler since October is usually pretty warm.

I don't agree w/ all of this but see https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/things-to-bear-in-mind-with-bear-meat

for more info.

YMMV

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any word on permits yet. My Cresaptown buddy just told me he got Tag. Do land owners get notified ahead of the rest?

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    Not a winner... Boy do I miss public land, otc bear tags.

Ah well - always next year. Good luck to those who won.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom