• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I’m just curious... what would keep someone from ordering any random barrel (not marked or advertised as an hbar barrel) and engraving hbar on it themselves? And since there is no definition of “hbar” in law would your self engraved barrel now be legal as part of a rifle build?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If its the same size from the barrel nut out to the gas block, youre good

Thats what makes a heavy barrel

While this is a generally accepted definition of an HBAR, this is not the definition that MSP uses and therefore is not useful for determining if your rifle is MD compliant.

The definition MSP carries is that the rifle is sold, marketed/advertised, or the barrel is stamped as HBAR or Heavy Barrel.

This is also why some "SPR profile" barrels are not technically compliant, despite having a true HBAR profile.

Profile is irrelevant here - so long as the barrel is stamped or there is language in the receipt or product listing as a HBAR or Heavy Barrel

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If it's not marked "HBAR" it needs to be advertized as HBAR by the manufacturer to keep you in the clear

Incorrect. When asked, MSP replied that they don't know, but it would be helpful if it was marked or advertised as HBAR. But then again a MSP advisory is not legally binding.

This is still the only correct answer since 2013. Nothing has changed since then.

See above.

The law says HBAR.

It is up to MSP to create regulations and interpretations in accordance with the law.

Their interpretation is it must be marked or advertised as heavy.

If you want to change it, file a law suit.

The law says HBAR, correct.

MSP creating regulations, through agency fiat, is how we got the live fire "requirement" for the HQL, even though that isn't in the law.

Their "INTERPRETATION" makes their life easier, because for people to comply with no fear, they must do what MSP says, but then again, MSP can change their mind and say that the only HBAR allowed out there is one with a barrel of 2.843" and then what are you going to do? By making up a random diameter, they just banned all those AR's going back to 2013.

You want to see what happens when an agency "interprets and creates regulations" that are not part of the law? Take a look at the EPA and the ATF. Specifically, lets look at the ATF in regards to NFA. In NFA 1934, show me where it says that I must include my fingerprints, a RPQ, and a photo of myself, when submitting a Form 1 or a Form 4. I'll save you the time and effort on this one. You won't find it in the law. It was a agency created regulation and interpretation, that puts hurdles up in front of the citizen from engaging in lawful activities.

When you bend over and take it from a government agency, they will continue to try to shove it in farther and deeper, till you can't take it anymore and frag out.

Oh, how are you supposed to file a lawsuit against an agency that has something as a advisory, yet it isn't codified in the law?

While this is a generally accepted definition of an HBAR, this is not the definition that MSP uses and therefore is not useful for determining if your rifle is MD compliant.

The definition MSP carries is that the rifle is sold, marketed/advertised, or the barrel is stamped as HBAR or Heavy Barrel.

This is also why some "SPR profile" barrels are not technically compliant, despite having a true HBAR profile.

Profile is irrelevant here - so long as the barrel is stamped or there is language in the receipt or product listing as a HBAR or Heavy Barrel

Again, you do not need to prove that it is HBAR for it to be legal. MSP has said the banned firearms list is not legally binding. The HBAR advisory they released is not legally binding, either.

SPR barrels are HBAR with the proper profile, because the HBAR aspect is from the chamber to the gas block journal. Forward of the gas block doesn't matter. Look at the barrel of a Colt Sporter HBAR to see what I'm talking about.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Again, you do not need to prove that it is HBAR for it to be legal. MSP has said the banned firearms list is not legally binding. The HBAR advisory they released is not legally binding, either.

SPR barrels are HBAR with the proper profile, because the HBAR aspect is from the chamber to the gas block journal. Forward of the gas block doesn't matter. Look at the barrel of a Colt Sporter HBAR to see what I'm talking about.

DA - I agree with you and believe you are correct.

However, if one is to take heed of the MSP guidelines/ advisory, then it may behoove an individual to stay strictly within their definition of it being explicitly marked or sold/ described in the product listing as an HBAR or Heavy profile, actual profile being irrelevant.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ... Specifically, lets look at the ATF in regards to NFA. In NFA 1934, show me where it says that I must include my fingerprints, a RPQ, and a photo of myself, when submitting a Form 1 or a Form 4. I'll save you the time and effort on this one. You won't find it in the law. It was a agency created regulation and interpretation, that puts hurdles up in front of the citizen from engaging in lawful activities.

Yes. And you still acquiesce to that requirement, so?

Let's not forget, the OPs question was in regards to whether or not he could purchase the aforementioned rifle from Md.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That's one hell of a turd you just dropped into the punch bowl DA...

:popcorn:

Somebody has to be the one that stands up and refutes the "The law says stamped or marketed as HBAR or heavy barrel". If nobody stands up and refutes it, it becomes part of BGOS, because it is the law that we placed on ourselves, therefore allowing agencies to further infringe on our rights, just by issuing advisories, because those advisories become "law" because we blindly follow the advisories as if they were law, in order to maintain a unachievable level of compliance with regards to an agency that is intent on infringing on the rights.

Personally IDGAF about MSP and their REQUEST for it to be marked or advertised as HBAR or heavy barrel, because the burden of proof is on them to clearly define what a heavy barrel is, according to the law. Short version, is they can't prove a .745 from the chamber to the journal isn't a HBAR, because a HBAR is a consistent diameter from the chamber to the journal. The banned profiles taper down to pencil profile under than handguard and taper up to the journal.

Not banned profile, because it maintains the same diameter from the chamber to the journal.

834998.jpg

Banned, due to the taper under the handguard.

277511.jpg

Further images in this post about what is and isn't MD legal, based on their "guidance" to us.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5415635&postcount=55

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    DA - I agree with you and believe you are correct.

However, if one is to take heed of the MSP guidelines/ advisory, then it may behoove an individual to stay strictly within their definition of it being explicitly marked or sold/ described in the product listing as an HBAR or Heavy profile, actual profile being irrelevant.

In following their guidance, which essentially over time become "the law" through restrictions we place on ourselves, you place yourself in further jeopardy, with new "guidance" that comes out. It is a cyclical cycle of trying to comply with the most asinine "guidance" to maintain mythical compliance, with something that isn't codified in the law.

Real easy here. Go as far as you think you need to be compliant with the law, and no farther.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yes. And you still acquiesce to that requirement, so?

Let's not forget, the OPs question was in regards to whether or not he could purchase the aforementioned rifle from Md.

I do, because nobody has had the stones to challenge that aspect of the regulations that the ATF created. It is my sincere prayer that suppressors, SBR's, and SBS's are removed from NFA in the future. But if this is the price I have to pay for Little DA to have a hearing safety device, then I will take the hit for him.

Meanwhile, the HQL lawsuit and the AWB in MD are being challenged, via the courts.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Somebody has to be the one that stands up and refutes the "The law says stamped or marketed as HBAR or heavy barrel". If nobody stands up and refutes it, it becomes part of BGOS, because it is the law that we placed on ourselves, therefore allowing agencies to further infringe on our rights, just by issuing advisories, because those advisories become "law" because we blindly follow the advisories as if they were law, in order to maintain a unachievable level of compliance with regards to an agency that is intent on infringing on the rights.

Personally IDGAF about MSP and their REQUEST for it to be marked or advertised as HBAR or heavy barrel, because the burden of proof is on them to clearly define what a heavy barrel is, according to the law. Short version, is they can't prove a .745 from the chamber to the journal isn't a HBAR, because a HBAR is a consistent diameter from the chamber to the journal. The banned profiles taper down to pencil profile under than handguard and taper up to the journal.

Not banned profile, because it maintains the same diameter from the chamber to the journal.

834998.jpg

Banned, due to the taper under the handguard.

277511.jpg

Further images in this post about what is and isn't MD legal, based on their "guidance" to us.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5415635&postcount=55

That makes sense. The entire barrel profile business is horseshit anyway. I'm just sitting here wondering what combination of bad luck and bad choices would lead me to a point where I'm watching a State Trooper come at my AR with a micrometer in his hand. I have to believe that I was pretty well screwed long before that took place.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That makes sense. The entire barrel profile business is horseshit anyway. I'm just sitting here wondering what combination of bad luck and bad choices would lead me to a point where I'm watching a State Trooper come at my AR with a micrometer in his hand. I have to believe that I was pretty well screwed long before that took place.
    Bear in mind one thing. The KAK Value Line 556 barrels by dimensions, do qualify as HBAR. I've run calipers over many of them and they are .745 consistently from the chamber to the journal.

Marylander's can change things, if we all band together to show that they can't make up requirements that were unobtainable when the advisory was released, yet are still an infringement to this day for people that don't know better.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The law says HBAR.

It is up to MSP to create regulations and interpretations in accordance with the law.

Their interpretation is it must be marked or advertised as heavy.

If you want to change it, file a law suit.

Supposed reason is that markings or advertisements make it an HBAR clone.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    You guys are killing me.

What is the advertising requirement? Is it being advertised by the dealer/retailer/assembler or by the barrel manufacturer that matters in the current interpretation of the law?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom