• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    What have you guys used that help attract deer to your cameras and stands? I usually have a salt lick out year round that the deer seem to really like in the spring/summer but are less interested in it in the fall. Was looking at apple, acorn and sugar beet flavored licks. Anyone had better luck with one brand over another? I hunt farm land so corn/beans are plentiful, just looking for something to maybe get the deer to prefer one trail over another to come out into the field.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have used a spearmint extract that is supposed to draw them to something else. In my case the corn feeder.
    It seemed to work or I just had good luck. Spread it around a tree base about waist high and I got deer that same night on the trail camera sniffing the tree then eating the corn.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Cattle mineral blocks for cameras(an established deer lick). I don't use attractant for hunting deer. No feed. No lures.

I put the block out after deer season closes.

Last edited:

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I run a feeder year round now that I'm in Texas and have a few acres...80/20 mix of corn and protein. I also have another spot where I put out alfalfa hay and the deer absolutely devour it.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I only use hard salt licks anymore. I tried using the the apple blocks posted or ones like it and after time if the deer don't eat it and it gets wet it gets(at least mine did) infested with bugs and the deer wouldn't touch it. Right now I am using a couple Trophy rocks but the Mossy Oak Bio rock works really good too.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I only use hard salt licks anymore. I tried using the the apple blocks posted or ones like it and after time if the deer don't eat it and it gets wet it gets(at least mine did) infested with bugs and the deer wouldn't touch it. Right now I am using a couple Trophy rocks but the Mossy Oak Bio rock works really good too.

I've been using the Trophy rocks almost exclusively the last few years. Rain seems to wash minerals into the soil effectively over time. I've seen deer going after the soil around where they used to be 6 months after they rock has fully dissolved.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I got to TSC and get General Purpose Mineral and a bag of salt and mix them together. 100# lasts a long time. I scoop a gallon bean can into it and dump into a 1 gallon cheap twist tie bag. Place it in my back pack and dump in the field for them. A stump chopped and hollow as a bowl works great. It gets in the wood and doesn't run away.

Personally I think the does like it better and the bucks like clover in the food plot for the calcium. The mineral has it but I have not seen the bucks flocking to it.

We run two corn feeder from Sept to mid to late march. I like to fill it up and run it longer January - March just in the evenings to keep the pregnant momma strong.

Attachments

• Deer Mineral.jpg
      Deer Mineral.jpg
      97.8 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads