• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    THANK YOU for this information.

I thought a couple times about making a thread like this, but did not because I was not sure if it was frowned upon legally to do as is hypothesized here.

My understanding was that since viral infections are 100% immune to any kind of antibiotics derived from fungal or synthetic means, you are better off not seeking or taking such drugs for an infection if you're not sure it's bacterial, and even then if the rewards do not outweigh the cost or risk.

I just wanted something that would treat pneumonia, bad strep, and other serious bacterial infections, even bubonic plague if needed.

Anyways, dependent on whether the organism is gram negative or gram positive some antibiotics may have little to no effect, so knowledge is your friend, but so is a jack of all trades antibiotic.

My dog contracted lyme's disease a few years ago, and the vet ended up giving me a crapload of the stuff. As in several filled pharmacy bottles used to dispense into smaller containers.

I knew that it was one with a shelf life, but I thought the expiration was MUCH more conservative than what you just told me, doc.

I have a good doctor right now, and in discussing hypotheticals with her she told me that if antibiotics had a track record of taking a while to resolve infections in me she would have no choice but to prescribe an EXTRA LONG COURSE of antibiotics to treat any infections I might think I have.

Anyways, luckily I'm on the Bactrim bandwagon, but I could always procure more. Or is it possible to procure the individual drugs that make up bactrim individually from a veterinary supply shop?

What are your thoughts on Azithromyecin? Due to it's extremely long half life I am seeing it prescribed a lot. Seems like a good bang for the buck unless it falls short in some area

Viruses aren't immune from most antibiotics. Antibiotics can only be effective against living organisms; viruses are not living organisms-they are parasitic proteins that use their hosts to replicate, meanwhile causing disease(s). Antivirals can be effective, but they work by preventing or inhibiting replication. Antibiotics, antivirals--different animals, just like the organisms.

Azithromycin is a macrolid antibiotic, very effective for respiratory infections and chlamydia/GC, pelvic inflammatory disease. Depending on the susceptibility of the organism and the concentration achieved in the serum may be bacteriocidal (kills bacteria) or bacteriostatic (reduces bacterial numbers). It's a good addition to the armament of anyone's medical supply kit. I keep some in mine primarily for pneumonia, sinusitis, COPD.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Viruses aren't immune from most antibiotics. Antibiotics can only be effective against living organisms; viruses are not living organisms-they are parasitic proteins that use their hosts to replicate, meanwhile causing disease(s). Antivirals can be effective, but they work by preventing or inhibiting replication. Antibiotics, antivirals--different animals, just like the organisms. Azithromycin is a macrolid antibiotic, very effective for respiratory infections and chlamydia/GC, pelvic inflammatory disease. Depending on the susceptibility of the organism and the concentration achieved in the serum may be bacteriocidal (kills bacteria) or bacteriostatic (reduces bacterial numbers). It's a good addition to the armament of anyone's medical supply kit. I keep some in mine primarily for pneumonia, sinusitis, COPD.

Azithro is not as good as it used to be. Very good for chlamydia, I would say only "ok" for respiratory infections, I would not use it for pneumonia, just based on recent resistance patters. Not good for gonorrhea. Gonorrhea is getting UGLY. it's not horrible, but when I am concerned about a significant respiratory infection, I go for a quinolone.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Viruses aren't immune from most antibiotics. Antibiotics can only be effective against living organisms; viruses are not living organisms-they are parasitic proteins that use their hosts to replicate, meanwhile causing disease(s). Antivirals can be effective, but they work by preventing or inhibiting replication. Antibiotics, antivirals--different animals, just like the organisms.

Azithromycin is a macrolid antibiotic, very effective for respiratory infections and chlamydia/GC, pelvic inflammatory disease. Depending on the susceptibility of the organism and the concentration achieved in the serum may be bacteriocidal (kills bacteria) or bacteriostatic (reduces bacterial numbers). It's a good addition to the armament of anyone's medical supply kit. I keep some in mine primarily for pneumonia, sinusitis, COPD.

Unfortunately the typical "prepper" does not have a lab and stock of petri dishes sitting around to test susceptibility. Own risk I guess.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Azithro is not as good as it used to be. Very good for chlamydia, I would say only "ok" for respiratory infections, I would not use it for pneumonia, just based on recent resistance patters. Not good for gonorrhea. Gonorrhea is getting UGLY. it's not horrible, but when I am concerned about a significant respiratory infection, I go for a quinolone.

You're worried about gonorrhea? :innocent0

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I would prefer not to get irradiated in the first place.

PS: He died of acute poisoning from neutron radiation exposure.

that's not the one I was talking about:

The demon core had I believe 3 or more accidents attributed to it, twice of which it briefly went critical.

On one of these times several scientists were irradiated, most of which perished.

But yes, on both of the criticality incidents the closest observer died quite quickly from acute exposure

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Human nature dictates it will continue to be a problem. Personally, no. I see a lot of it, being a physician near Baltimore. We are #1 for Gonorrhea.

Do they still classify NSU as a NON VD type of thing? The gleep was something enlisted would catch according to sick bay, NSU was for mostly for officers. :lol2:

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

it's semantics, viruses are unaffected by antibiotics just as a baseball bat is immune to your well crafted oratory.

Viruses are basically just information in a protective sheathe containing in it's information the instructions for it's replication.

It is basically a message in a bottle with blueprints in it for making more messages in bottles.

Not alive, just cleverly evolved or engineered

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

This is EXACTLY the information I needed, thanks!

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    that's not the one I was talking about:

The demon core had I believe 3 or more accidents attributed to it, twice of which it briefly went critical.

On one of these times several scientists were irradiated, most of which perished.

But yes, on both of the criticality incidents the closest observer died quite quickly from acute exposure

They were all acute poisoning incidents.....neutron and gamma radiation. Not boom and breathe in the crap incidents. Most died 25+ years later.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    They were all acute poisoning incidents.....neutron and gamma radiation. Not boom and breathe in the crap incidents. Most died 25+ years later.

regardless of ionizing radiation exposure or ingestion or pickup or exposure to actively decaying isotopes, the end result is the same, and the final course of terminal radiation sickness from either source will be identical.

And yes, you are correct, most who died later from cancer had the genesis of their sickness in this event

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Potassium iodide is useful for relatively minor radiation exposure. It prevents thyroid cancer. You get a good dose and you are toast.

Dec 31, 2012
    Keep antihistamines along with bactrim. Some people develop skin rashes after a few days. I didn't have issues with bactrim until my third round of treatment for MRSA but now it's no longer the first choice of treatment for myself. I can push through it with antihistamines if I really had no choice but it's unpleasant, although so is dying. Prednisone is something I'd like to add to the supplies.

My recent post flu pneumonia was taken care of by a Z-pack.

I can't imagine living in a world without antibiotics. Some old timers I worked with told me tales of those days and it was ugly. My former employer's father died of an infection back in the old days that would have been easily treated now.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Keep antihistamines along with bactrim. Some people develop skin rashes after a few days. I didn't have issues with bactrim until my third round of treatment for MRSA but now it's no longer the first choice of treatment for myself. I can push through it with antihistamines if I really had no choice but it's unpleasant, although so is dying. Prednisone is something I'd like to add to the supplies. My recent post flu pneumonia was taken care of by a Z-pack. I can't imagine living in a world without antibiotics. Some old timers I worked with told me tales of those days and it was ugly. My former employer's father died of an infection back in the old days that would have been easily treated now.

Bactrim is a sulfa drug. It is a common allergy. Second only to penicillin.

fd0816

Oct 26, 2012
    Howard County
    My great grandmother died in her twenties from a bug bite that got infected... that's crazy to think of that being how things were

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom