• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So you dont have to serialize?

Not yet, but this bill is setting up the groundwork for serialization. It is at the very bottom of the bill and it was added language as Section 2. They are looking for a cost estimate by the MSP to see what it would cost to run a serialization scheme in Maryland for firearms that currently do not have a serial number.

So, I am not rushing out to buy 80's right now until the MSP submits that study on or before September 30, 2019, and I will probably wait until the 2020 legislative session to see if anything comes of this serialization stuff. Granted, I feel pretty comfortable with my current inventory. If I was uncomfortable with my current inventory situation, I would probably be looking into acquiring some more serialized lowers.

Heck, I might wait until we have a test case about whether the creation of the 80 on a CNC machine makes is subject to this bill.

Then again, if it does not pass, 80's for everybody.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    The sections about computers and computer databases are still absurd. Organic? So like, my brain? Any set of organized instructions is suddenly a computer database?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

We also need to see what the amended language on the cross-filed bill is on the Senate side. Maybe they'll include grandfathering. Or maybe there won't be any amendments at all. Then its up to the conference committee to see what version goes for final votes.

Remember it was the Senate side that watered down HB1302 last year from Dumais' malicious abomination to just a plain horrible bill.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    How can you tell if one is hand finished 80 and the other is CNC?

CNC delivers consistent results. Hand machining by amateurs leaves lots of, um, character in the final product. OTOH a professional manual machinist can be as consistent and dimensionally accurate as CNC, if not better.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Not yet, but this bill is setting up the groundwork for serialization. It is at the very bottom of the bill and it was added language as Section 2. They are looking for a cost estimate by the MSP to see what it would cost to run a serialization scheme in Maryland for firearms that currently do not have a serial number.

So, I am not rushing out to buy 80's right now until the MSP submits that study on or before September 30, 2019, and I will probably wait until the 2020 legislative session to see if anything comes of this serialization stuff. Granted, I feel pretty comfortable with my current inventory. If I was uncomfortable with my current inventory situation, I would probably be looking into acquiring some more serialized lowers.

Heck, I might wait until we have a test case about whether the creation of the 80 on a CNC machine makes is subject to this bill.

I can easily see the setup that you are referring to. I am curious to see what type of registration scheme is going to take place as well. If the 80 percents need to be applied for and serialized PRIOR to making the firearm with no grandfathering then that is going to chap a lot of asses. A battle to be taken up another day (again).

I refuse to let the MGA make me walk on eggshells in the meantime. Worse case scenario, If I already own the tools to make an 80, I build some 80's today and they become illegal next session- take them apart and rebuild on a registered lower if compliance is a concern. It's a money and time waste but a hobby is a hobby.... FUN! Until the MGA or the FEDS wants to marsh my mellow...fun rules.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can easily see the setup that you are referring to. I am curious to see what type of registration scheme is going to take place as well. If the 80 percents need to be applied for and serialized PRIOR to making the firearm with no grandfathering then that is going to chap a lot of asses. A battle to be taken up another day (again).

I refuse to let the MGA make me walk on eggshells in the meantime. Worse case scenario, If I already own the tools to make an 80, I build some 80's today and they become illegal next session- take them apart and rebuild on a registered lower if compliance is a concern. It's a money and time waste but a hobby is a hobby.... FUN! Until the MGA or the FEDS wants to marsh my mellow...fun rules.

Why I bought a serialized G17 frame. I figured this one would pass as written. Looks like my polymer 80 will be okay for now.

Next year, who knows. Hopefully this thing still goes in the toilet instead.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    For some reason in my tracker, this bill is now showing status of:

Special Order until 03/16 (Delegate Kipke) Adopted

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=01&id=hb0740&tab=subject3&ys=2019RS

In any case, here's a link to the amendments on the website itself:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/amds/bil_0000/hb0740_58291801.pdf

NOTE that this is NOT the "bill as amended" as seen in the other thread. This is just the amendments themselves, you would need to look at the original bill language and synthesize the two to get the product.

EDIT: My Annapolis friend says the "Special Order" thing is a delaying tactic. Given that Kipke is an R this could be a good thing. No idea.

Last edited:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The Minority Leader (Del Nic Kipke) asked for more time to review the changed bill and to allow time for potential amendments (which occur during 2nd Reader debate). Hence the "Special Order" until tomorrow.

Keep communicating your concerns with your Delegates, folks.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    As of right now, and my understanding, yes, but only if you do NOT use a CNC to finish it.

Tools like GhostGunner will NOT be allowed to be used.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    As of right now, and my understanding, yes, but only if you do NOT use a CNC to finish it.

Tools like GhostGunner will NOT be allowed to be used.

Seems that it would be pretty hard for them to prove whether or not someone used a CNC machine to finish their 80% lower. Sure there are fewer or no flaws, however if a guy says I did it on my drill press, then he did it on his drill press.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Seems that it would be pretty hard for them to prove whether or not someone used a CNC machine to finish their 80% lower. Sure there are fewer or no flaws, however if a guy says I did it on my drill press, then he did it on his drill press.

They cant prove it. It's to say we did something!! And is a rubber hose they can pull you out and flog you with if they want to.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Why I bought a serialized G17 frame. I figured this one would pass as written. Looks like my polymer 80 will be okay for now.

Next year, who knows. Hopefully this thing still goes in the toilet instead.

I did serialized ar-lowers pre-2013 when nobody knew what the hell was going to happen. Fingers crossed, the 80 percent thing simmers down. I am hitting Annapolis next legislative session. I did all that I could from my corner of the universe this year. I am curious to see what next year brings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom