• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    So I noticed something confusing with the MD handgun roster of approved handguns. I’ve been looking at H&K VP9 handguns. Many come standard with 15 round mags, which I know are prohibited. Some can be found with smaller mag sizes. But the handgun roster doesn’t specify which models are allowed. It says the following:

Model: VP
    Model Number: SFP9, VP40, VP40 Tactical, VP45, VP70Z, VP9, VP9 Tactical, VP9-B, VP9SK
    Caliber: 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 9 mm

Now, in contrast, if you look at Smith & Wesson for the MP 2.0, the roster lists actual SKU #’s for S&W models. So it’s quite clear what’s allowed there.

How do I decipher what VP9’s are allowed? I’d like to consider gun broker or other online sales. But I’d hate to buy something that I can’t license here! Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Buy the one you want and have your FFL pin your magazines to 10 rounds if it comes with a higher capacity. When they don't list specific SKUs it opens up options. If you can't find a 10 round VP9 because they are sold out everywhere or they don't make a specific model in it, it allows you to get the firearm you want but with the added step of having magazines pinned. When I bought my Sig X-Carry the distributor sent the 17 round magazine version instead of the 10 round version I ordered, since Sig also lists by model name instead of SKU (except for the damn P365 for some reason) my FFL just pinned the magazines to 10 rounds.

The only problem you might have is if you order online is whether the seller will ship the higher capacity magazine model to MD, you'd have to ask them prior to ordering. I was helping my brother look for a specific model of P30 today and we found the 10 round model at one place, everywhere else was out of stock. They wouldn't ship a 10 round magazine model to MD… it made no sense. Found the 15 round one on another site and it will be at the FFL next week where the mags will be pinned.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    VP9s are being sold in the wilds of MD with 10 rnd mags. I've seen it happen.

Technically the models with 15rnd mags are not prohibited, only the mags are. An FFL could sell/transfer you that one without the mag.

The model its what's approved, not the SKU. SKU can theoretically change from year to year even if the model doesnt. SKUs are also particular to various packages (1 mag, 2 mags, 3 mags plus grips, etc) which is irrelevant for roster purpose. I think its dumb that some dealers submit the SKU.

The list above covers everything you might find in at least 5 different color schemes. Whatever you buy the FFL will put "VP9" "VP9SK" or "VP9-B" on the 77r.

And honestly, having just done the math, by the time you pay transfer and shipping, a local LGS will have it for the same price.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks. It’s not so much I want to buy on line, but I do want to know what I can buy, because sometimes deals are to be had. With $35 for shipping and $40 for xfer, you only need to save $75 on a purchase to make it worthwhile. And I’m seeing savings of over that online. If the LGSes are willing to negotiate, I’d prefer to buy from them.

The main items in question are the VP9LE and VP9SKLE. Neither are explicitly on the the roster, although “tactical” is. Am I safe in assuming they would be acceptable?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Thanks. It’s not so much I want to buy on line, but I do want to know what I can buy, because sometimes deals are to be had. With $35 for shipping and $40 for xfer, you only need to save $75 on a purchase to make it worthwhile. And I’m seeing savings of over that online. If the LGSes are willing to negotiate, I’d prefer to buy from them.

The main items in question are the VP9LE and VP9SKLE. Neither are explicitly on the the roster, although “tactical” is. Am I safe in assuming they would be acceptable?

You simply need to talk to an IP here, tell them what you want & they will get it for you example VP9 with 10 round mags...

No Transfer Fees, No Shipping Costs & a quick delivery...

It's that simple...

But if your object is to save money & you don't care when you get it or what you have to pay to have your mags pinned or how long that will take, then on-line shopping is for you...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

The "LE" in the model usually means Law Enforcement and >10 rnd mags and those wont transfer. So you might get the gun cheap but you will have to spend money on mags.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

Well, I sure hope the VP9LE is legal, because I have owned mine for a while now...and, Love it.

BTW, I got mine at JLowes, for less than ANY online vendor, with no shipping and no transfer fees.

http://store.jlowesguns.com/handgun...51-black-interchangeable-backstrap-grip-black

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m not really worried about the cost of mags. $40 or whatever isn’t goin to break me. Shoot, that’s only 2 boxes of ammo (approximately... don’t jump on me for that). I like the idea of getting the gun with the night sights factory installed.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I’m not really worried about the cost of mags. $40 or whatever isn’t goin to break me. Shoot, that’s only 2 boxes of ammo (approximately... don’t jump on me for that). I like the idea of getting the gun with the night sights factory installed.

No doubt. I agree 100%. I'm not that good at math, I guess. ;)

I also see the benefit of factory installed $100 tritium night sights (+ labor), and an extra ($50) mag, for a $75 difference (1/2 the $$) in cost. :shrug:

You couldn't pay me to head down 495 on a weekend.

The closest standard capacity magazine source, to me, is Cabelas (Delaware), where HK mags are $50.

My mag blocks were evidently stolen out of the magazines at some point. So, I added a couple X Tech 5 round extensions, and now have a sweet shooter with 20+1 capacity. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom