• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Just picked up a Chinese SKS from Classic. I was a little hesitant to order, because I wasn't completely confident in Classic's reputation. I rolled the dice and was VERY pleased with what I got. The rifle was $399 and I paid the $20 bucks for a hand pick (didn't pay the extra $20 for a milled trigger group). I got a numbers matching 1967 Arsenal 26 SKS with a milled trigger group. IMO it's a perfect mix of good condition and the "been there, done that" look. It has plenty of character, but not beat up. The only drawback was the amount of cosmoline! On the bright side, I had to take it down to parade rest to clean every nook and cranny, and in the process was able to get pretty familiar with the 'ol SKS.

Attachments

• 100_1395.jpg
      100_1395.jpg
      110.4 KB · Views: 790
    • 100_1396.jpg
      100_1396.jpg
      105 KB · Views: 764

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If applied correctly, cosmoline is the reason your 20, 40, or 60 year old rifle is in as good of condition today, as it was when it was dunked in the stuff.

Removing cosmoline is more fun than standing in line at the DMV.

After you've done about a dozen firearms, you develop a painless method for removal. Well, as painless as it can be.

Nice looking rifle.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Cosmoline isnt a drawback my friend

I get it, it certainly serves its purpose. But man, that stuff gets EVREYWHERE and sticks to EVERYTHING! I used mostly hot water and mineral spirits to get it off, plus a few hundred q-tips and paper towels...

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Ordered one at the sale price and rolled the dice on Hand Select. Mine is beat. Wood is solid but beat to hell. Stamped trigger guard, 40% bluing and deep pitting on the bolt carrier and gas tube. Hand select my ass. If this was the best of 10 I feel sorry for the other 9 suckers. Must have been quitting time when they pulled mine. Hope it shoots good.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    They're back to normal price, and Classic is pushing them HARD. I also saw $350 SKS on Gunbroker last weekend, so they may be dumping inventory. I think they may have finally hit the resistance price.

ETA: I'm tempted...

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    That's the best looking Chinese I've ever seen. All the stocks on the ones Ive seen look like they ran out of ammo and used them as a club. I have a pair of Yugos I got from Samco a few years back. One was listed as New and it looks it. The other was Excellent and stock has a patina but the metal doesn't have a scratch. I'd love to get one of the Chi's without all the grenade launcher stuff though. Congrats

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Does that have the chrome lined barrel?

Both my SKSs shoot better than an AK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does that have the chrome lined barrel?

Both my SKSs shoot better than an AK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine shoots around MOA for wolf military classic.

2-3MOA with everything else. Except randomly Federal Fusion that pie plates at 50yds (5-6” groups). Just odd as I have great success with fusion in other calibers/guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom