• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've trolled Armslist from time to time but heard enough cautionary tales about scams that I've never purchased through it. Then today I'm reading the hometown online newspaper and run across this fun article.
    Why am I not surprised to see that some of the money from this scam was sent to Nigeria? At least these two were caught but you have to wonder just how many more are out there.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    But Doctor Mubuntu with 2M Dollars US, he's holding for me is totally legit right?

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I've trolled Armslist from time to time but heard enough cautionary tales about scams that I've never purchased through it. Then today I'm reading the hometown online newspaper and run across this fun article.
    Why am I not surprised to see that some of the money from this scam was sent to Nigeria? At least these two were caught but you have to wonder just how many more are out there.

Is the photo in the article related? or is it just one of "teh scary gunz" pinched from the internet?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It's actually a good newspaper. Richard Mellon Scaife, who was a conservative, owned and operated it for years. Damned if I can explain the photo. Doesn't have a direct connection to the article, esp since the gist of the story is that there were NO guns owned by the two scammers.
    Can't tell you how many times I've seen Armslist postings flagged as crap. Way too many times for me to ever feel comfortable to do business thorough them. Unless it's a brick n mortar shop.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Armslist gets a bad reputation and can be a minefield. But I've purchased a few firearms through them. Some very rare at cheap prices. Like a M1903 1920 National Match for about $700.00. I had not been scammed.

But I should say just be very careful. I usually set conditions on the sale. Such as they pick a Brick and Mortar FFL local to them who will transfer the rifle outwards and ship it. I cover the cost of shipping and transfer of the shop. I mail the check to the shop, they check the SN and they hand over the check and ship the rifle. All they have to do is drop off the rifle and pick up the check at a shop they like.

You pay more in shipping and transfer fees but it's like an insurance policy. I only had one person refuse those terms, I backed out. A friend thought I was being paranoid, and tried to go ahead with the purchase and got scammed.

FWIW

But all that is a lot of work. So you have to make sure it's something worth the extra effort. We've all been there.

Sirex