• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I swear "we" (gun owners) are sometimes our own worst enemy. I believe that this type of thought process actually empowers the left. We already know that they regularly read this forum. I can only imagine how many infringements have been of our own making.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Ah...must be new, since Polymer80 will serialize their 80% frames as well.

Since this is a completed frame, it is no different then a regular Glock frame and really doesn't need to be on the roster to purchase. Much like the frame of any other handgun, or the completed receiver of any rifle or shotgun. Just have the FFL order it and then go do the paperwork to pick it up.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Since this is a completed frame, it is no different then a regular Glock frame and really doesn't need to be on the roster to purchase. Much like the frame of any other handgun, or the completed receiver of any rifle or shotgun. Just have the FFL order it and then go do the paperwork to pick it up.
    I thought the MSP was trying to claim serialized-but-not-built pistol frames had to be on the roster? I agree that the law does not support that assertion, but it is what it is.

Also, as an aside to the OP, I have actually thought about buying the serialized frames because it might present certain additional options for USPSA and competition in the future that wouldn't be happening with an 80%. So, I support your efforts. It seems like some people on here don't understand that the serialized frames are indeed finished:
    https://www.polymer80.com/pistol-frames/pf-seriestm-serialized-frames

Pictures on the website are pretty clearly milled and drilled.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Ummm, NO...The serialized Polymer80 frames are NOT drilled and milled. They are the same as a none serialized polymer80 with the exception that there is a number on serial plate on the underside of the frame, nothing more.

So, NO, the serialized polymer80 DOES NOT need to go through an FFL, because it is still an 80%.

Stated in Brownell's description,

•FFL required as the frame is serialized

Required or not, they wont sell it consumers directly. I believe all the other vendors selling serialized frames are the same

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I am seeing a lot of confusion in what is actually trying to purchase. By Serialized to you mean a complete finished receiver? or by serialized do you mean a 80% with random numbers on it that don't mean anything?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am seeing a lot of confusion in what is actually trying to purchase. By Serialized to you mean a complete finished receiver? or by serialized do you mean a 80% with random numbers on it that don't mean anything?
    The OP clearly linked to serialized, FINISHED frames/receivers. These are firearms in the ATF's view. They are not 80% frames.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    The Brownell example is both serialized AND 100% finished. It is the latter (100% finished) which requires application of a serial # before sale, and transfer through an FFL per Federal law. I think Commiefornia (at least) might require a serial # and FFL transfer even for an 80%, but most of America couldn't care less what random markings appear on a piece of tupperware which may or may not be 80% of a frame.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The OP clearly linked to serialized, FINISHED frames/receivers. These are firearms in the ATF's view. They are not 80% frames.

You must have actually looked at the links I included:innocent0 Thank you!

This thread is making my brain hurt.

Me too:sad20: So, I guess the answer to my main question is, "No, Art, no one is submitting a serialized, 100% stripped Polymer80 lower (like those in the links in your original post) to be on the roster."

It's fun to ask a question and be called a traitor in the very second response, :sarcasm: but I'm not going to play the "whip it out and compare 2A sticks" game.

I am not talking about getting the 80% lower I completed serialized and registered. I am not suggesting anyone else do that either. In fact, I'm not suggesting that I even know if anyone else in the world completed an 80% lower or care.
    I am interested in legally purchasing a 100% complete (although stripped), serialized Glock 17 copy lower manufactured by Polymer80 (like the ones sold by Brownell's in the links I included), much like the Glock factory stripped lowers that are available. As it is considered a firearm, it must go through an FFL. That should should be an accepted fact, even at my meager intellectual level. My understanding is that, as a firearm manufactured after (1985...or whatever the year was), it would have to be on the roster for me to purchase. I did not see entry for any model of Polymer80 on the roster.

I am not suggesting that anyone else should want to purchase one of these ever. I want to purchase it because...reasons. I've listed a few. Maybe I have others that I do not want to publicize. Who cares? :shrug: People express interest in buying stupid guns on here all the time. Why do I feel like I am trying to explain why anyone needs an AR-15? Reasons.

Do you really believe that if I am allowed to buy a serialized, 100% stripped receiver made by Polymer80 (on a 77e, and get "not disapproved" before picking it up 7 days later from an FFL), that THAT will be last straw which kills the 80% party?:lol2:

Since the AR-15 as a whole is too big to swallow at once, some time ago "they" decided their next bite would be bumpstocks. All it took was one incident, and bumpstocks were gone (taking binary triggers with them). They even hinted at their next nibble. Remember the rhetoric, "Well, at least he didn't have a silencer..." So, after an incident, suppressors are in the crosshairs. How big of an incident do you suppose it would take to end 80% builds? Do you really think they haven't thought of and aren't working on that already? If you think I just gave them that idea :secret: I think you really underestimate them.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I swear "we" (gun owners) are sometimes our own worst enemy. I believe that this type of thought process actually empowers the left. We already know that they regularly read this forum. I can only imagine how many infringements have been of our own making.

Can you help me to understand how this applies in this scenario? Am I correct in assuming that, if it was from some other manufacturer that didn't make 80%, it would be a non-issue?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You must have actually looked at the links I included:innocent0 Thank you!

Me too:sad20: So, I guess the answer to my main question is, "No, Art, no one is submitting a serialized, 100% stripped Polymer80 lower (like those in the links in your original post) to be on the roster."

It's fun to ask a question and be called a traitor in the very second response, :sarcasm: but I'm not going to play the "whip it out and compare 2A sticks" game.

I am not talking about getting the 80% lower I completed serialized and registered. I am not suggesting anyone else do that either. In fact, I'm not suggesting that I even know if anyone else in the world completed an 80% lower or care.
    I am interested in legally purchasing a 100% complete (although stripped), serialized Glock 17 copy lower manufactured by Polymer80 (like the ones sold by Brownell's in the links I included), much like the Glock factory stripped lowers that are available. As it is considered a firearm, it must go through an FFL. That should should be an accepted fact, even at my meager intellectual level. My understanding is that, as a firearm manufactured after (1985...or whatever the year was), it would have to be on the roster for me to purchase. I did not see entry for any model of Polymer80 on the roster.

I am not suggesting that anyone else should want to purchase one of these ever. I want to purchase it because...reasons. I've listed a few. Maybe I have others that I do not want to publicize. Who cares? :shrug: People express interest in buying stupid guns on here all the time. Why do I feel like I am trying to explain why anyone needs an AR-15? Reasons.

Do you really believe that if I am allowed to buy a serialized, 100% stripped receiver made by Polymer80 (on a 77e, and get "not disapproved" before picking it up 7 days later from an FFL), that THAT will be last straw which kills the 80% party?:lol2:

Since the AR-15 as a whole is too big to swallow at once, some time ago "they" decided their next bite would be bumpstocks. All it took was one incident, and bumpstocks were gone (taking binary triggers with them). They even hinted at their next nibble. Remember the rhetoric, "Well, at least he didn't have a silencer..." So, after an incident, suppressors are in the crosshairs. How big of an incident do you suppose it would take to end 80% builds? Do you really think they haven't thought of and aren't working on that already? If you think I just gave them that idea :secret: I think you really underestimate them.

No, the serialized completed frame does not need to be on the roster, handgun frames from other manufacturers are not on the roster and you can purchase them at an FFL in Maryland with no issues. So purchasing this completed frame should be no issue without it being on the roster.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Can you help me to understand how this applies in this scenario? Am I correct in assuming that, if it was from some other manufacturer that didn't make 80%, it would be a non-issue?

It's not an issue in this case, regardless of the manufacturer, the frame really doesn't need to be on the roster.

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    You got me. :o That was my plan all along. I really thought I could infiltrate this group a little further before someone caught on, but I guess my red shirt is showing.:rolleyes:

:tdown:

It is. I spotted you in one post.

V-tac

Industry Partner
    May 8, 2018
    Art3
    A guy who works for me asked this same question and the same crap ensued.
    I want to use 80frames and serialize them for a completely different reason then yours.
    But one reason is they feel better in my hand I make my own slides therefore it’s not a “Glock”
    It’s not going to be today or tomorrow but we will more then likely complete one and submit for approval it would be similar to Glock 19.
    If it goes easy I’ll do a 17

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Art3
    A guy who works for me asked this same question and the same crap ensued.
    I want to use 80frames and serialize them for a completely different reason then yours.
    But one reason is they feel better in my hand I make my own slides therefore it’s not a “Glock”
    It’s not going to be today or tomorrow but we will more then likely complete one and submit for approval it would be similar to Glock 19.
    If it goes easy I’ll do a 17

Cool, thank you!:party29: That means you'll share some of the blame for ruining 80% for everybody :D

To be clear though, I'm talking about buying the frames from Polymer80 (through Brownells) that are already completed (drilled and milled) and serialized (by Polymer80). It seems to me that it would be different and simpler (and not require a manufacturer level FFL) than serializing it oneself. That part, I don't want to do until they make us.:rolleyes:

They definitely feel better than Glock Glocks. Honestly, if they didn't (or if Glock Glocks felt like Polymer80's), I wouldn't be interested in any of it. :shrug:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    No, the serialized completed frame does not need to be on the roster, handgun frames from other manufacturers are not on the roster and you can purchase them at an FFL in Maryland with no issues. So purchasing this completed frame should be no issue without it being on the roster.

Are you sure about that? I mean no disrespect, but that just doesn't seem like...Maryland :shrug: The frame is a handgun, right? There is no way it could be "other," or built into a rifle like an AR, right?

I guess if my FFL will sell it to me, it must be ok :tap: Or he's going down with me :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom